Post New Thread
This week's silly question - working hours 9 AM - 5 PM by NY
With the clocks going back last weekend and everyone moaning about how dark it was driving home in the evening, I started to think. Why is it that the hours of the traditional office working day, 9 AM to 5 PM, were chosen to be asymmetric about noon? If they'd chosen 8 to 4 instead, the mornings and evenings would get dark equally - assuming that 12 noon is the point when the sun is highest...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 23rd 16 09:15 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
35 421
Robustness of Freeview HD vs SD by [email protected]
So "Author" blew down our TV antenna and we've had to resort to an indoor portable antenna until its fixed. Curiously not a single HD channel now works on my Humax box, yet most of the SD channels are perfectly ok. I live in London so I presume both are broadcast from Crystal Palace so I can only assume either that: 1) HD is broadcast at a lower power than SD or 2) The error correction on HD...
November 22nd 16 01:04 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 146
Whos Log periodic.. by Brian-Gaff
Is there an easy to mount good long lasting log periodic out there these days? I need one for somebody, and am a bit out of touch. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post or what I say, you don't have to read my posts! :-)
November 22nd 16 12:13 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
9 178
OT. Channel Four are as bad as the BBC sometimes by Bill Wright[_3_]
I've just watched John Snow's report from the US. Utter total one-sided bias against Trump. Staggeringly one-sided. Now Dispatches are on about the housing shortage. They mention that it's partly due to the 'massive population increase' but they don't say why the population has increased. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 21st 16 06:50 PM
by RayL12 Go to last post
73 567
[OT] Is anyone using kaffeine 2? by pinnerite
I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on both kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6. I would like to compare notes with other users. -- Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5 KDE version 4.14.5 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 21st 16 03:46 PM
by Mr. Marmite Go to last post
30 440
I had a weird dream.. by Brian Gaff
That in one of the afore mentioned shared spaces somebody tried to bring a flock of sheep through but they just went everywhere and caused a lot of problems. Its weird that these things still occur as pictures in my mind even though I cannot see. It would be really great if one could actually record dreams and share them on Youtube. Probably more entertaining then watching stage managed...
November 19th 16 05:21 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
9 174
The moon by Brian Gaff
What is the sudden interest in the moon, its been going around the earth in a not very circular manner fo many years now and I can recall a day in the 80s when it was supposed to be bigger. Being on a breakwater inthe canaries at the time, the moon always looks bigger there as it rises over the see, and cannot say anyone noticed any difference. Now this being Britain, not may people saw it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 19th 16 02:26 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
34 320
shared spaces. by Brian Gaff
What exactly is the point of attempting to mix pedestrians, cyclists drivers disabled and blind people together? I have been told by a friend that these parts of towns are disliked by most users. Drivers because its stressful watching out for people who are deaf, blind listening to headphones, riding bikes etc. Cyclists as they are not sure where to ride as they get shouted at by both...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 18th 16 10:46 AM
by Mr Pounder Esquire Go to last post
28 283
Freesat+ EPG by MikeS
Does anyone know where to find an authoritative explanation of how the Freesat+ EPG operates? I have long assumed that the EPG data is broadcast by satellite and has links to either the live satellite channels or the Internet URLs for the various servers supplying on demand and catchup services. Recently someone claimed on the Digital Spy forums that "the on demand services are provided by...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 17th 16 03:11 PM
by Dickie mint[_2_] Go to last post
29 328
BBC bias: Corbyn and le Penn interviewed on the Andrew Marr programme by Bill Wright[_3_]
Marr gave us a sort of 'health warning' before the le Pen interview, because she's 'far right'. No such warning before the Corbyn interview about him being 'far left'. Marine le Pen was pestered about her father's 30-year-old comments about the Holocaust. Corbyn on the other hand, wasn't even asked about the Labour Party's current anti-Semitism.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 16th 16 07:58 AM
by pamela Go to last post
32 338
OT UK Hi-Fi History by R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 21:30:05 UTC+1, pinnerite wrote: Jim Lesurf wrote: Some here may have an interest in the history of UK Hi-Fi. With that in mind I'm posting this to draw attention to the UK Hi-Fi History Society website. The main webpage is at http://www.torrens.org.uk/ukhhsoc/ But the main area of public interest at present is the 'Audio Documents'
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 16 09:33 PM
by Ian Jackson[_5_] Go to last post
17 213
Somebody down my way... by Brian Gaff
Has one of those old analogue Video sender devices, as up in the 800Mhz area I can often hear some sound from various sources, sometimes its foreign sounding tv, sometimes one of the Sky channels or a movie. I would assume whe this is illegal and may be interfered with by digital transmissions at some time in the fuuture. I wonder if they realise others can hear it. Not heard any video...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 13th 16 07:29 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
31 365
Interference by Brian Gaff
I've noticed recently some drop outs of signal on Freeview, so I went around the bands with my scanner and find some kind of noise that sounds a bit like subdued arcing from about 50 Mhz all the way up to nearly 1 gig being received on a discone just above my roof line. Its not there all the time but for long periods. Strangely, unlike most noises like this, it seems not to be affecting...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 16 07:20 PM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
18 179
Can we now have some normal news? by Brian Gaff
This Us Election stuff is worse than football for pundits who have no clue why everyone voted in a bombastic awkward bigoted idiot into the white House, its obvious, the wanted to stick two fingers up at the rest of the politicians by landing them with an insufferable person to try and work with. Maybe now we can have that none of the above on ballot papers over here. if we had that here...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 12th 16 12:09 PM
by Graham.[_7_] Go to last post
24 242
Mouse not working? by Kenny
New Sony Android TV, unbranded wireless keyboard and mouse. Eventually got keyboard to work but the mouse does nothing, any suggestions apart from the bin? Kenny Cargill
November 10th 16 07:15 PM
by Kenny Go to last post
2 135
Winter Hill problem? by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
BBC4 HD on Channel 106 from Winter Hill and a few other HD channels showing "No signal". Everything else seems OK. Is anyone else getting this or is there a re-tune that I've missed? Rod.
November 8th 16 05:41 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
3 160
This morning's fun by Bill Wright[_3_]
The Sony kitchen tv had no reception of about 15 channels including sky news this morning. Retune, no better. Check signal with analyser. Power cycle, retune, everything except ch52 mux. Manual tune, puts sky news on 844. Move it to 132. This is a telly of course that was made at a time when it was thought digital wouldn't catch on. Put kettle on. Bill
November 5th 16 10:01 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 122
WiFi keyboard use with smart TV by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I have a Panasonic "smart" TV. It has proved particularly useful for keeping my grandson entertained with Thomas the Tank Engine videos and the like on YouTube. However, using the remote to select videos by keying in the name using the navigation arrows was a nuisance. So I decided to get a mini wireless...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 5th 16 09:49 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
18 234
Hitachi HDR5T01 Freeview+ recorder archiving by Dave W
I have one of these, sold by Argos, but actually made by Vestel, chassis T7655. My question is - what is "Archive" meant to do? When I go through the process of archiving a recording, it starts by asking for a title etc., then when I press Play to start it off, the recording plays at normal speed (but it's not just a normal play because it can't be fast forwarded). When finished the screen...
November 4th 16 04:17 PM
by NY Go to last post
3 187
GMT by Andy Burns[_12_]
Did someone forget to wind the hands on the DAB transmitters?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 3rd 16 02:23 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
22 276