Post New Thread
Aberfan broadcast by Bill Wright[_3_]
I remember ITN/TWW's live broadcast at teatime on the day of the disaster. A very snowy, flickering, picture; the reporter standing on the hill above where the school had stood, the camera panning across what looked like a moonscape. I wonder if that broadcast still exists. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 16 07:17 PM
by critcher[_6_] Go to last post
10 175
the water analogy by Bill Wright[_3_]
I have a hosepipe with a tap on the end, fed from a tap on the wall. If I turn the tap on the wall off and then turn the tap at the end of the hose on there a momentary surge of water. But if I turn a switch off that feeds a wire then connect a lamp to the other end of the wire the lamp doesn't glow even momentarily. Does this mean the water analogy has failed, or can the surge of water be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 21st 16 05:06 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
38 373
Cone cameras by Brian Gaff
I've just invented these, they are at the level where they can get good views of the number plates for the apr system, so should aid motorway cops fine the transgressors. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 16 03:13 PM
by Terry Casey[_2_] Go to last post
12 202
The bells at York by Bill Wright[_3_]
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too. The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition he http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/allow-the-york-minster-bell-ringers-to-ring Thank you!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 16 11:25 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
250 1,134
trouble with a French bank: advice? by Bill Wright[_3_]
An elderly relative planned to live in France but the plan failed, for reasons that are irrelevant here. He had deposited E10,000 in Bank Agricole when his plan fell through. Three months ago he asked for the money to be transferred to his English bank. Despite repeated requests he is getting nowhere. The bank seems to ignoring him, or stonewalling him. Is there any organisation in the UK...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 16 04:19 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
51 389
The law by Bill Wright[_3_]
On 18/10/2016 12:19, Norman Wells wrote: The law, nevertheless, is on the side of those who suffer noise nuisance, not those causing it. The law is impartial. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 19th 16 10:55 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
16 226
Bletchely Park by Brian Gaff
On the mention of the bell ringers in the last thread, I was reminded of what has happened at this site, where a new 'guard' is in to handle the grants they got, and one of the things they did was to get rid of a lot of volunteers and shove a lot of exhibits behind glass and chuck out the local radio club and its vintage equipment exhibition from one of the huts. Seems corporate...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 17th 16 04:01 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
12 207
Interesting item by Woody[_5_]
For anyone who did not hear it I would suggest digging in iPlayer for an interview done my Jon Humphrys on the Today programme Saturday 15/10/16 at a little after 08:45 (so running time of 1hr 45m or thereabouts.) It was with Professor John Goodenough of the University of Texas at Austin. He is the man who invented Lithium-Ion batteries and at 94 he still works every day at the University....
October 16th 16 04:13 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
1 110
Passwords on iPlayer by by February 2017 by [email protected]
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:00:45 -0400 S Viemeister wrote: On 10/4/2016 10:16 AM, wrote: Holland and the netherlands are interchangable terms in the UK in the same way that "america" substitutes for the USA even though it is actually an entire continent. You know this so stop being pedantic. No, it's more like the tendency to use 'England'...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 14th 16 07:46 AM
by Roland Perry Go to last post
94 482
Christmas is hear! by Brian Gaff
True Christmas is now broadcasting on Freeview. Isn't it great? No... I also noticed while flipping around last night that one of the jewellery selling channels has a programme called Chestnuts roasting on an Opal fire or something along those lines. Has that Bethlehem company started their selling yet on QVC? I'm sure Smoothe Christmas can be only a month or so away.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 16 07:45 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
15 199
Double standards by Brian Gaff
Recently I've become aware that radio phone ins are being sanitised far more than they used to be. Words like Bloody and crap are now not allowed and they don't even like you to mention Amazon either. However, on the telly, even before what is laughingly called the watershed, Bloody seems to be allowed as part of cockney speak, and the Moonbeam Song by Neilson is played on national radio,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 13th 16 07:26 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
30 348
Euronews -on Freesat by BobC[_3_]
Euronews seems top have disappeared from Freesat. I note that the Freesat Website no longer shows it as in their "News" lineup. No announcement, just disappeared. -- BobC ==========
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 12th 16 08:23 PM
by pamela Go to last post
26 1,150
SOT - connecting a dashcam to a TV by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I just replaced my dashcam as the old one wouldn't loop record. Other than that it seemed ok, so I wondered about using it as a video camera as it has an "AV" socket. The Chinglish manual isn't much help. All it refers to is setting either PAL or NTSC, and 50Hz or 60Hz. So I set it to PAL and 50Hz. The camera didn't come with any video connectors, but I have a 2.5mm jack plug with a short...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 11th 16 10:11 AM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
11 245
Progress by Bill Wright[_3_]
On the left packaging 2002. On the right packaging 2016. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/IMG_0938.JPG Bill
October 10th 16 03:13 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
8 176
Could 'whistling' kill your PVR? by Paul D Smith[_2_]
Umm, I wonder if a nefarious TV show could send you a tone that kills your PVR. Perhaps embedded in an advert for the latest new PVR from insert manufacturer as a way to boost sales? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37337868
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 16 07:33 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
18 230
How long are remote controls supposed to last? by Brian Gaff
I have a very old denon one which has been in the wars since 1990 and it still works as does the unit its for. More recent tvs and set top box and cd players dvds etc, seem to have remote creeping death after a couple of years. When you open them up you find that the bit where the rubber buttons push down and short out the ridged bit on the pcb are either fully of slightly sticky particles...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 8th 16 08:47 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
13 143
DTT box peculiarity by Bill Wright[_3_]
I have a fairly elderly Humax SD DTT box in the motorhome, for use when there are trees in the way of the satellite. This was the situation this week at Rowntree Park, York. The imbecile warden put us on a wedge-shaped pitch, then got us up the next morning to say we would have to disconnect the trailer because we were less than 6m from the hypothetical position of the van on the next...
October 8th 16 07:34 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
1 99
A few pictures by Bill Wright[_3_]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/DSCN5647.JPG This appeared over our garden the other day https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/DSCN5653.JPG Why didn't he extend his ladder a bit more and fix the thing nearer the apex? Then he could have used a shorter mast. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/DSCN5656.JPG And most of all why did he use such a crap wall bracket? The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 8th 16 01:04 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
25 183
That burd on Longmire. by Benderthe.evilrobot
Was she in one of the Riddick movies?
October 7th 16 07:53 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
4 95
ITV Player & Victoria by pinnerite
Last night my wife got me to locate last week's 'Victoria' episode on ITV Player. It started well enough but after about 15 minutes it stopped. She blames me because I own the screwdrivers. :( -- Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5 KDE version 4.14.5 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 5th 16 11:45 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
11 419
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 201 to 220 of 19363