Post New Thread
Interactive tv by Brian Gaff
Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that? We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then. Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned talent shows were hooked off after a few minutes if they were dying, we could get rid of the worst programs...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 21st 17 12:26 AM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
12 220
Doctor Who is moonlighting on LBC radio by Ian Jackson[_7_]
Well that's how it appears to be. At the end of every traffic bulletin on LBC radio, the reader says "For the latest real time-travel updates, go to the LBC.com website." -- Ian
April 20th 17 10:31 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
6 186
This 'new channels' game by Brian Gaff
On Freeview it seems to me that channels re invent themselves by giving themselves new names. The other tendency is that they do a deal to get hold of shows that do not fit their current name, so they create a part time new channel in the same bandwidth to show them restricting the hours of the old one. Quest seem to be playing this game, though for the life of me I do not see the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 19th 17 08:31 PM
by pamela Go to last post
34 319
Spell checker by Brian Gaff
Does my spell checker know something I don't? Satnav suggestion is sauna. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
April 17th 17 09:59 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 141
Parker's mike by Bill Wright[_3_]
On the Halifax advert Parker the chauffeur's microphone is actually a belling socket. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 17 12:14 PM
by Robin[_8_] Go to last post
30 325
Glitching AD by Brian Gaff
I was on more 4 the other night and on E4 later on and both had the AD just coming in short packets of fragments of words, when other stations were fine. Has anyone else encountered this. It is my belief that nobody monitors this track on output, so if it goes pear shaped they only know form looking at their response pages or call logs later on, and do they rebroadcast them, no of course...
April 12th 17 12:13 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 110
Streaming BBC Breakfast today by Phi
At programme end a big red screen came up and displayed, 'this channel is not available in your area yet' with information about satelite channels and free to air channels. The red screen was semi transparent with a background of people in wheelchairs trying to get into a semi circle painted on the floor. It stayed like this for about ten minutes until the next programme started missing ten...
April 10th 17 02:59 PM
by Phi Go to last post
6 127
Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder modelRD-XV48DTKB. by Dean Jackson
Does anyone know of a possible source for a Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder model RD-XV48DTKB. Local repair person says that they are unavailable. D.J.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 8th 17 04:31 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
20 269
Smart tvs dumb by Brian Gaff
You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most cases they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work by ordinary people who do not have a 7 year old child around. I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo Sainsburies tv basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than the Samsung one she used to have, as she never could figure out the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 17 05:45 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
27 247
why 12V? by Bill Wright[_3_]
So many things run on 12V DC. Firstly, why has that become the standard? Is it all because of the nominal voltage of a car battery? Secondly, wouldn't 24 or 48V be more convenient for many things? I heard a few years back something about new cars being 48V in the near future. Did it ever happen? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 7th 17 04:24 PM
by charles[_2_] Go to last post
435 2,373
Subtitle Disaster by Davey
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science, but the rendition on the Beeb's programme this evening about the photographer Olive Edis reached a new low. They spent as much time correcting themselves as displaying the wrong words, and there was no excuse for being live, it was a prerecorded assemble programme. A letter of complaint is to be sent. We pay for this with our license fee,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 6th 17 11:40 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
28 192
Dr Who by Brian Gaff
So Dr Who is going to have an openly gay female character in it. Yawn, well we had an openly ac/dc one ages ago in Cpt Jack so why not. What next. a wheelchair using gay transgender mixed race Drr who? Do I detect a scraping of the barrel bottom here? Considering many of the people in high office who have been making the most recent Dr Whos are gay or whatever, cannot say I'm surprised,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 4th 17 10:09 AM
by Huge Go to last post
25 182
TV socket charge up by Brian-Gaff
I was plugging the aerial back in the back of a reasonably modern telly last week and got a bit of a shock, well quite a big one actually off the socket and the plug. the plug goes straight to an aerial, no amps or anything so the whole thing has to be electrostatic I guess. I had assumed once crts went that none of this sort of charging would happen but it seems not. Brian -- From the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 4th 17 02:43 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
62 393
nocturnal signal problem by Tim+[_4_]
A local lady is having an odd problem with her TVs at night. Here are her two recent messages to a neighbourhood network group. 1) Hi everyone , If anyone has had similar problems with their tv can you advise how it was rectified. An expert has looked at our equipment which feeds 9 flats and the cause could be two different equipment faults one being very expensive. I have also heard that the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 3rd 17 10:06 PM
by Dave W Go to last post
14 185
crap tv generally by Brian Gaff
Here is the thing. We have all these channels but the actual number of programs worth watching is still about the same as when we only had four. The question is, who watches the endless repeats and more importantly the imported us junk like ancient aliens, and unsolved mysteries and Ghost encounters and Cake wars and and and. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 3rd 17 07:56 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
21 239
A couple of quick Qs about freesat... by Tim+[_4_]
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double cable. I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin tuners? (I know nothing about sat). She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget...
April 2nd 17 11:33 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
9 235
Hopeless at maths by Bill Wright[_3_]
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year? It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small. It's 2.5 million light years to the Andromeda Galaxy; that's what we're discussing. Help!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 1st 17 12:43 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
30 342
Long gaps short range by Brian Gaff
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or what? Brian -- ...
March 30th 17 06:42 PM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
6 93
Humax FVP-4000T Dimensions by Bill Ward[_2_]
Can someone tell me the dimensions of the Humax FVP-4000T Bill.
March 30th 17 12:17 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 135
Fly tipping by Brian Gaff
Bill if you crosspost many news servers won't let you reply to both groups any more. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
March 27th 17 03:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
8 109
Post New Thread