Post New Thread
Today's Freecycle offer by R. Mark Clayton
"Davey" wrote in message ... On Tue, 7 May 2013 14:49:51 +0100 "R. Mark Clayton" wrote: "The catch is its all in Chinese ......." -- Davey.
May 8th 13 12:42 PM
by Davey Go to last post
1 323
New BBC Bias? by The Other John
This week I've noticed five presenters and/or newsreaders wearing purple ties which just happens to be UKIP's colour - could this be the reason for UKIP's success in the elections? :) TOJ.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 8th 13 09:14 AM
by Dave Plowman (News) Go to last post
29 438
Freesat HD STB? by David.WE.Roberts
I am back to using the Bush HD STB but even after a prolonged rest it is not of the best. Last night it had a couple of rows of red dashes across the screen which stayed overnight with the box in standby. It also stopped obeying most of the remote control keys. Powered down and up this morning and this cleared it, but this does not bode well for long term reliability.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 7th 13 04:05 PM
by David.WE.Roberts Go to last post
11 191
more old memories resulting from domestic reorganisation by Bill Wright[_2_]
If you put a CRT set near a big speaker the colours go funny. I'd quite forgotten. If you feed the output from an HD box that you normally feed into a modern telly into an old CRT set, isn't it horrible? The imperfect geometry that we used to take for granted hits you in the eye. However the sound from that old portable is far better than from its modern equivalent. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 6th 13 06:57 PM
by Andy Champ[_2_] Go to last post
30 448
broadband DTT signal meters by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message , viewer writes: Can any of you report performance post DSO, when total combined power of all TV channels/multiplexes has significantly dropped since pre-DSO ? I thought it increased? -- J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
May 6th 13 09:41 AM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
4 129
Freeview box? by Sla#s[_2_]
I can't seem to find a Freeview box that has, recording, DVD, Wi-Fi, will play all the catch up stations and will play *avi/*mkv/*mp4 files. Several say iPlayer but neglect the others. And none of them seem to play *mp4 files. Any thoughts? The best I can come up with is a Media PC. Thing is I had a 'Tranquil'* and it was rubbish! (Five power supplies and several burnt out internal bits) So
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 5th 13 08:13 PM
by rbel[_2_] Go to last post
12 221
teletext on DTT by Bill Wright[_2_]
We've been asked to install a system in which various BBC TV channels will be carried, but on a mux that will be generated at the head-end. Does anyone know what happens about the teletext? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 5th 13 07:10 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
27 473
broadband DTT signal meters by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
In article , viewer wrote: There's plenty of these DTT broadband power detecting antenna signal meters around. Are they any good ? These may help you decide http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/DVB/FringeCal.html http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/DVB/SLXmeter.html
May 5th 13 04:04 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
0 155
BBC bias - again! by Woody[_5_]
A simple one this morning on the BBC Breakfast sports report just after 06:30. They made great show of the fact that a (giant!) Welsh rugby player would be captain and also reported that the 37-man squad comprises 15 Welsh, 9 Irish, and 3 Scots, No mention of ENGLISH players, which at 10 is the second largest contingent!!! If Scotland do gain independence (heaven forbid) I think this BBC...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 5th 13 11:57 AM
by Ramsman Go to last post
35 531
Radio 4 cock up by Bill Wright[_2_]
1.06am Weds.The news went off in mid sentence to be replaced by a programme about Asia. Bill
May 4th 13 11:34 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
7 161
Old memories revisited whilst reorganising my consumer electronicsready for a new telly by Bill Wright[_2_]
1. When you autotune an old Panasonic to the analogue CCTV channels it leaves 1, 2, and 3 blank, because it can't find BBC1, BBC2, and ITV. 2. My label machine does a lot of things I don't understand. 3. My old Quintro scart switcher does a lot of things I don't understand. 4. SCARTS are really crap for coming loose. 5. Squirting compressed air into a very early CD player can be effective: it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 3rd 13 06:25 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
45 651
brickwork damage by Bill Wright[_2_]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/brickwork%20damaged%20low%20res.jpg Also, off topic, those of you following 'The Wit and Wisdom of Ben (3)' might be interested to see that the boy can multi-task. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/multi-tasking.jpg Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 3rd 13 01:33 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
77 1,297
New TV - Samsung or Panasonic? by Paul D Smith[_2_]
OK, the old (2010) TV died and John Lewis wrote it off of I'm in the market for a new TV again. Looking around it seems it comes down to a new Panasonic, Samsung or Sony so what don't know I, but should? The models that I'm considering are Panasonic TX-L32E6B or Samsung UE32FF500 or Sony KDL32W653ABU. Any other suggestions would be welcome. FWIW, the specs I need which got me here...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 2nd 13 06:56 AM
by alan Go to last post
29 1,115
Latest retune warnings by Davey
Tacolneston is showing warnings for 'Possible Service Disruptions and a need to Re-tune' on May 1st. One day....... -- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 1st 13 10:21 AM
by Davey Go to last post
18 355
SOT (somewhat off-topic) - How to specify start time in Listen Again? by Ian Jackson[_2_]
With YouTube, you can specify the time into the recording when it starts playing by adding #t=xmym to the end of the url (where 'x' and 'y' are the number of minutes and seconds from the start). I thought you could do the same for the BBC 'Listen Again' urls - but it doesn't work. However, I'm sure that you can do something similar. Can anyone remember what it is? -- Ian
April 30th 13 03:14 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
7 372
Poor audio on modern TV sets by Bill Wright[_2_]
I have two 20" (roughly) Sonys, flat screen but rather old, and a brand new one ditto. The new one is normally used along with an audio system, but today, as part of the general rearrangement of my domestic audio-visual facilities (see 'filth') I used it alone. The sound is dreadful compared to the other sets. These have forward-facing speakers. The new set, of course, does not. The sound...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 29th 13 09:00 AM
by Andy Champ[_2_] Go to last post
14 539
Soundbars - what, you want sound with your TV? by Paul D Smith[_2_]
Feeling very "grumpy old man" as I look at possible new TVs and things like... Save 50 when bought with Panasonic Soundbar ....on websites. Apparently manufacturers are now completely happy to admit that the sound from their TVs is so crap that you need to buy a separate speaker system. Paul DS.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 29th 13 09:00 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
64 961
New TV, no surprise about the sound... by Paul D Smith[_2_]
I've read some of the threads I started about sound and just wanted to add a follow up. I've now got my new 32inch LED-lit LCD TV and, as expected, it's "wafer thin". Also as expected the sound is "lacking", though perhaps better than I expected. One interesting aspect of purchasing it was that the John Lewis salesman did offer-up (without any prompting) that the sound really wasn't that...
April 29th 13 08:28 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 143
Filth by Bill Wright[_2_]
There's much excitement here. The 20" Sony that has been our living room telly for some time is to be replaced by a 46" model. The shelf above the telly will have to be raised 50mm. That shelf had all the various components of the hi-fi system on it. I spent some time dismantling this lot, and I was appalled by the dust. No, I can't call it dust, really. Not when it's half an inch thick. A...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 28th 13 10:48 PM
by Graham.[_2_] Go to last post
15 429
4G moves - who decides? by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
I've just done the 'after' scan of what we get from the Angus TX to be able to compare the 'cleared for 4G' situation with before the move made last week. Some of the results are at http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/AngusMove.png Looking at this, one question immediately came to my mind? Why on Earth didn't they *also* move the mux away from ch60 down to ch50?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 28th 13 09:53 PM
by reslfj Go to last post
38 787