Post New Thread
Programme guide query by Pinnerite
I had been struggling to deploy a computer program called Kaffeine 2.0.5 because that version supposedly could process DVB-T2 (HD) signals. However I couldn't test it because its channel search routine seemed to find and list everything from Berlin to Hanoi but not UK channels. Finding no help on the wwww I finally wrote to the developer, receiving the following reply a couple of days ago.
December 6th 16 12:25 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
8 105
TV sound d/a conversion by Chris J Dixon
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the cheapest: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0148KYD0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converter There is then rather a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 5th 16 11:48 PM
by Dave Plowman (News) Go to last post
23 193
Digital reception by F Murtz
Don't know if UK has similar systems to us in Australia My digital tv reception is shot to hell, They have put an NBN fixed cellular broadband tower a few hundred metres from my house in Couridjah,I do not know if it is up and running yet(the FTTN is not ready yet although it seems to be all in) I wonder if they are testing the tower and 4G is causing my tv reception problem
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 3rd 16 02:05 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
23 184
Does anyone know by Brian Gaff
If panasonics latest models of tvs still have the spoken menus and program guide muchvaunted a couple of years ago, or has this become a casualty of their outsourcing cheapskate backtracking ? At present the only brand of TV I know has it is Samsung. and personally I feel all tvs should have this as standard. its really not much to ask and we are an aging population after all. Brian --
December 3rd 16 12:00 PM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
5 92
RNIB Connect Radio too loud by Brian Gaff
What is going on on the radio channels of freeview. the audio levels are all over the place recently, and most are louder than any of the TV sound channels, but RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on Freeview seems to be much louder than all the others. People have told them many times but they claim there is no way they can change it It sounds better on the internet, but the...
December 3rd 16 11:40 AM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
5 157
New fibre installation keeps buffering on BBC by Phi
With a small screen in HD on Windows 10
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 2nd 16 03:41 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
21 246
I dislike ordering stuff that is not in stock by Phi
Twice recently I have tried to order a Sony smart TV listed by Amazon for next day delivery, but it is eventually not available. The latest delivery date now is 21st December so I had to cancel. Argos, Hughes and Richersounds have the TV, but only for in store collection.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 2nd 16 06:14 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
43 247
Co-as cable: truth or nonsense? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Quotes from a recent CCTV trade flier: Start quotes A solid copper centre core as copper is better conductor of electricity and signals than gold! So go for copper conductors. Aluminium is only 61% as effective as copper. Cheap cable such as CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) and CCS (Copper Clad Steel) - Cheaper but in reality a false economy. CCA is around 61%
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 1st 16 09:23 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
33 263
Should I change provider? by pinnerite
I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years. I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is not bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s. However I am paying: Broadband & phone £20 Line rental £17.70 Plus 'other call' around £5.00
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 1st 16 09:22 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
14 195
Is access to all frequencies for listening a human right? by Brian Gaff
I think it should be. At the moment there are so many devices that either due to poor design or the way they operate, which pollute the airwaves that its a scandal Back in the old days we just had badly suppressed cars and motors, arcing insulators on pylons, some TVs that kicked out harmonics from internal oscillators, and welders. These could be off or not affecting very many people and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 1st 16 01:12 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
50 357
Old TalkTalk badged YouView box by David Wade[_2_]
Folks, I have one of the Talk Talk badged YouView boxes with twin tuner and HD recorder. As I have BT it seems to have turned itself into a BT YouView box, but until recently it worked fine. However its now gone very slow so for example pressing guide results in a delay of several seconds, and changing channels has become fun (not)!. The Help - About says its a Huawei model...
November 30th 16 10:46 PM
by Yellow[_3_] Go to last post
9 179
Weather effects by Davey
At about lunchtime, the ITV channels broadcast from Tacolneston were almost totally unwatchable, mostly stationary pixellated screens, with the occasional change. Later in the afternoon, BBC1 went the same way for a short time. I assume this was weather-related, wind and rain being prominent at the time. Now all is peaceful and visible, but the winds are building again. --- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 30th 16 06:17 PM
by James Heaton Go to last post
25 281
Lack of logic grumble - Humax Freesat HD by David[_14_]
Hunkered down in bed last night watching some Channel 4 On Demand; working my way through the 2016 UK Rally Series. Wired Gigabit Ethernet in the bedroom has its advantages. When I was on about my 4th episode I got an on-screen prompt telling me that I hadn't used the box controller for 3 hours and did I want to power down or stay on. I wasn't aware that I was using my obvious psychic...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 29th 16 12:12 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
17 118
BBC iPlayer buffering again. by Phi
Whilst it was buffering, I started another instance of Firefox to check connection speed and It returned a value of 40Mb/sec. I suppose it must be the weather.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 27th 16 05:18 PM
by David[_14_] Go to last post
10 194
Android TV boxes? by Kenny
Can they wirelessly display a laptop, tablet or phone on the TV screen? Kenny Cargill
5 97
This week's silly question - working hours 9 AM - 5 PM by NY
With the clocks going back last weekend and everyone moaning about how dark it was driving home in the evening, I started to think. Why is it that the hours of the traditional office working day, 9 AM to 5 PM, were chosen to be asymmetric about noon? If they'd chosen 8 to 4 instead, the mornings and evenings would get dark equally - assuming that 12 noon is the point when the sun is highest...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 23rd 16 09:15 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
35 368
Robustness of Freeview HD vs SD by [email protected]
So "Author" blew down our TV antenna and we've had to resort to an indoor portable antenna until its fixed. Curiously not a single HD channel now works on my Humax box, yet most of the SD channels are perfectly ok. I live in London so I presume both are broadcast from Crystal Palace so I can only assume either that: 1) HD is broadcast at a lower power than SD or 2) The error correction on HD...
November 22nd 16 01:04 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 131
Whos Log periodic.. by Brian-Gaff
Is there an easy to mount good long lasting log periodic out there these days? I need one for somebody, and am a bit out of touch. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post or what I say, you don't have to read my posts! :-)
November 22nd 16 12:13 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
9 158
OT. Channel Four are as bad as the BBC sometimes by Bill Wright[_3_]
I've just watched John Snow's report from the US. Utter total one-sided bias against Trump. Staggeringly one-sided. Now Dispatches are on about the housing shortage. They mention that it's partly due to the 'massive population increase' but they don't say why the population has increased. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 21st 16 06:50 PM
by RayL12 Go to last post
73 468
[OT] Is anyone using kaffeine 2? by pinnerite
I have been having a variety of problems with kaffeine 2.0.x on both kubuntu 16.10 and Mageia 6. I would like to compare notes with other users. -- Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.16-desktop-1.mga5 KDE version 4.14.5 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 21st 16 03:46 PM
by Mr. Marmite Go to last post
30 377