TV License Evasion

Old July 8th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Les Hellawell

Default TV License Evasion

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:10:11 +0100, "Les Hellawell"
wrote:

| "Peter" wrote in message
|
| [BBC License Fee]
|
| It could only be in the UK that up to 80% of households are stupid
| enough to pay this stupid and unenforceable fee. It really beggars
| belief.
|
| Because we are law abiding people and think it right to do so?

Or because we think the Beeb good value for money?

That too. There is certainly no public demand for its abolition.
The fee is up for review soon, it always is. If the anti's want
the fee abolishing then let them make their case to the public
and thereby persuade our elected represenatives abolish it.

--
Les Hellawell

Greetings from :
YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

Old July 8th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Key

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:18:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

[snips]
It depends on your definition of 'socially vital'. I notice you've done
your best to find a ridiculous comparison (Teletubbies vs Police). But
what about Learning Zone vs Adult Education College? What so different
about funding the BBC or funding theatres via the Arts Council and/or
LAs?

Duh. I wasn't comparing the Teletubbies with the Police - I was comparing
the relative social merits of being forced by law to fund the BBC through
the license, and being forced by law to fund the Police/Fire services
through taxation.
You know - as in: I fully support funding the Police/Fire services, but
funding just one of many broadcasters all competing for our attention
seems an odd bias and I was seeking a little more information on reasons
why this is so.

That's why I said "but this is a *broadcasting service* responsible for
such socially vital output as the Teletubbies, and *not something like,
oh, I dunno - the Police or Fire services*"

But I guess I should've realised the type of response I'd get after your
astonishingly helpful and deeply insightful "but life's like that".

--
Brian Key

Old July 8th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

Brian Key writes
It depends on your definition of 'socially vital'. I notice you've done
your best to find a ridiculous comparison (Teletubbies vs Police). But
what about Learning Zone vs Adult Education College? What so different
about funding the BBC or funding theatres via the Arts Council and/or
LAs?

Duh. I wasn't comparing the Teletubbies with the Police - I was comparing
the relative social merits of being forced by law to fund the BBC through
the license, and being forced by law to fund the Police/Fire services
through taxation.

And I was drawing attention to the fact that the items you chose to
compare viz-a-viz funding methods were very selective. Being given the
choice of social funding for the Teletubbies or the Police is a
no-brainer.

I wondered why you didn't choose to compare items of a similar nature,
as described above.

But I guess I should've realised the type of response I'd get after your
astonishingly helpful and deeply insightful "but life's like that".

It's called sarcasm. Look it up.

--
Dave
Old July 10th 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:58:04 +0100, Leslie Smith
wrote:

--------------040102060808010304090408

Can ya turn off the HTML? It is not appreciated in text groups.

Can I ask, what dose the BBC do with our 112.00 * 30,000,000 ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee/

And they may get even more that the above. I they still can't get
things right.

Bit like your speeling (sic) and top posting.