Whats happening with HDTV?

Old July 5th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Neal

Default Whats happening with HDTV?

Robert Horton wrote:
Hi, now that we are in the exciting digital age, when is HDTV coming
along? Maybe we are simply wasting money on new widescreen tv's based
on antiquated CRT technology and 256 colours from our digital boxes.
I stopped using 256 (8 bit depth)colours on my computer in 1995.
Wouldn't it be great if we had 16 bit colour depth from the digital
system.

Err - there are 8 bits for both the luminance and 8 bits each for the the
R-Y and B-Y colour difference signals - this is nowhere near the same as 8
bit depth 256 colour quality - it is nearer 24 bit colour depth (though
there is less spatial resolution in the R-Y and B-Y channels than the
luminance (Y) channel)

Steve

Old July 7th 03, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clem Dye

John Russell wrote:
"tim" wrote in message

"John Russell" wrote in message

"Robert Horton" wrote in message

Hi, now that we are in the exciting digital age, when is HDTV coming

along?

Maybe we are simply wasting money on new widescreen tv's based on

antiquated

CRT technology and 256 colours from our digital boxes. I stopped using

256

(8 bit depth)colours on my computer in 1995. Wouldn't it be great if

we

had

16 bit colour depth from the digital system.

The government is having a hard time just to get people to pay 99 for
Freeview. Some how the idea of pursuading people to buy new TV's, PVR's

etc

for HDTV might not go down well in Whitehall.
Someone did post that the EU where beginning experiments. Perhaps this

is

the right approach to share the costs for introducing a HDTV system

which

only a minority might take up initially , a kind of EuroTV rather than
Eurofighter. I can't say I would look forward to watching french TV with
subtitles!

why do you think it would be subtitled. Surely there would be multiple
audio tracks just like there is on DVDs (and Eurosport on satellite)

Tim

I suppose the real point I was making was the US is a single country with a
single language which is a single market in terms of TV. The EU may be a
similer size as a market, but it certainly isn't "single" when it comes to
TV. We don't want to watch French (or german or italien etc) programms be
they subtitled or dubbed.

Err, the US may be a single country as it were, but English is not the
only language used! Spanish is a strong second language, spoken AIR by
about 35% of the country. Canada has a strong French contingient too.

Old July 7th 03, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
John Russell wrote:
"tim" wrote in message

[...]

Come next year the EU will have 25 members each with their own language and
culture.

Old July 8th 03, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stuart

"John Russell" wrote in message

We don't want to watch French (or german or italien etc) programms be
they subtitled or dubbed.

You don't - I do.

I don't want to restrict what you see. Why do you want want to restrict me
to your parochial view?

You may not remember Telejournal on BBC2 - it presented the nightly news of
other countries with a commentary. Looking through other culture's eyes is
IMHO a much better wayof finding out what is happening in the world than
3x24/7 UK News Channels...

--
Stuart

Old July 8th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Stuart" wrote in message

"John Russell" wrote in message

We don't want to watch French (or german or italien etc) programms be
they subtitled or dubbed.

You don't - I do.

I don't want to restrict what you see. Why do you want want to restrict me
to your parochial view?

You may not remember Telejournal on BBC2 - it presented the nightly news

of
other countries with a commentary. Looking through other culture's eyes is
IMHO a much better wayof finding out what is happening in the world than
3x24/7 UK News Channels...

--
Stuart

HDTV has enough start up problems with the cost of equipment to make it a
minority interest at first. That interest will deminish even further if the
only programs avaialble are from a EU Sat broadcasting programs sourced from
all other the EU.

Old July 8th 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stuart

"John Russell" wrote in message

HDTV has enough start up problems with the cost of equipment to make it a
minority interest at first. That interest will deminish even further if

the
only programs avaialble are from a EU Sat broadcasting programs sourced

from
all other the EU.

Yes - why would I want HDTV?

I guess the medium it would most enhance for most people would be
paradoxically film. On the other hand if i'm going to re-create the
'theatrical' experience in my own home then do I really want to do it with
the choice & timing of a broadcaster?

So is it primarily a question of very high definition screens? Whether they
are driven by tuners or an enhanced DVD medium is another matter. It seems
in this country people are more driven by size than quality when it comes to
TV screens. Which is not hopeful.

--
Stuart

Old July 8th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Stuart" wrote in message

"John Russell" wrote in message

HDTV has enough start up problems with the cost of equipment to make it

minority interest at first. That interest will deminish even further if

the
only programs avaialble are from a EU Sat broadcasting programs sourced

from
all other the EU.

Yes - why would I want HDTV?

This thread is about HDTV.

Old July 8th 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ben

hg wrote:
Only one of the reasons that HDTV is not happening soon is as somebody said
earlier that HDTV sets and boxes are too expensive at the moment and one
idea that's floating around is that HDTV will be broadcast widely when sets
are cheap enough for everyone to afford. This will happen when plasma and
other non CRT technology will be as cheap as normal TVs are today. So
basically the broadcasters are waiting for the technology to be financially
viable and then it'll happen.
In the US and Japan they're doing the opposite they're broadcasting now and
the pain of upgrading is with the consumer right now.
Although if blu-ray HD-DVDs take off in a big way then i'm sure we'll start
seeing HD sets on sale in this country as well and HD TV will be here long
before the broadcasters start sending HD out.
Another way that HD might arrive sooner is via Divx and WMP9 encoded films
in HD stored on normal DVDs or downloaded from the web. That's something I'd
like to see coz my TV is now a projector hooked up to a home theatre PC and
it's bloody marvellous.

It certainly looks most likely to me (like I'm some kind of industry
pundit) that the first we'll see of HDTV will be on DVDs. Obviously
blu-ray would be best, but I recently downloaded some 1280*720p24 WMP9
demos and they look pretty good with the monitor set to 1280*960. They
also had a few 1920*1080p24 but my monitor can't handle that ;-)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tShowcase.aspx

Old July 8th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Stuart" wrote in message

"John Russell" wrote in message

Come next year the EU will have 25 members each with their own language

and
culture.

Some share the same language. Most people know at least one other

language.

Culture? that's a more complex question. My culture is Black Country

(where
I grew up),

Oh dear - they used to have a prospective bride humiliate herself in church
before the wedding. I remember (albieit over 25 years ago) poor girls being
dragged round the factory on a pallet truck in their frillies covered in
streamers etc. Before the wedding the father of the bride would arrange for
all the bride's teeth to be removed to save the groom the expense...

snip

--
Stuart