aerial tester

Old March 19th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Bywater

Default aerial tester

Hi
I work for a TV repair company, so we deal with TV`s rather than aerials. Is
there a cheap and simple method/tool for measurering signal strenth.

Many thanks...Nigel

Old March 19th 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Nigel Bywater
writes
Hi
I work for a TV repair company, so we deal with TV`s rather than aerials. Is
there a cheap and simple method/tool for measurering signal strenth.

Many thanks...Nigel

Yes its a wonder Bill W hasn't told you that. There're called your
eyes

If it looks right then the signals OK, if it doesn't then the signals
too low;(
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 19th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Bywater

Hi
snip
""If it looks right then the signals OK, if it doesn't then the signals
too low""
I wouldnt like to be one of your customers if that is the total of your
toolbag.
It could be that fault of the TV, digibox or just a poor reception area.
Nigel

Old March 19th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Nigel Bywater
writes
Hi
snip
""If it looks right then the signals OK, if it doesn't then the signals
too low""
I wouldnt like to be one of your customers if that is the total of your
toolbag.
It could be that fault of the TV, digibox or just a poor reception area.
Nigel

Well you did say cheap, obviously too cheap)
--
Tony Sayer

Old March 19th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

One problem is that you need to measure digital and analogue signal
strength. The measurement bandwidth is crucial but different for both.
You also need to measure digital c/n and BER. Simply measuring carrier
power is next to useless. As far as I know you would need to pay about
400 for anything that would give useful results.

Old March 19th 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
GameBashers | Carpy

How does 725 grab you?

(T40) UNAOHM - PRO TEUS 40 - DIGITAL / ANALOGUE TERRESTRIAL ANALYSER
Pro Teus T40 is a compact lightweight portable handheld field strength meter
capable of analysing digital terrestrial and analogue TV installations.
Its large dot matrix graphic LCD readout allows signal spectra to be finely
displayed for analysis. Besides, the unit is ideally suited to display the
different control menus and measuring data provided. Frequency coverage is
from 45 to 860 MHz.

Many of the measurements which are typically taken on TV systems are
performed by the unit automatically, others are made simple to take.

True BER (Bit Error Ratio), as well as MER (Modulation Error Ratio) are
easily measured for overall link quality, the unit being fitted with an OFDM
card as a standard feature.

Useful is the BER estimation function too, of a QAM (DVB-C) signal in the
entire VHF-UHF range; the QAM BER estimation is derived from a true C/N
measurement according to ETSI ETR290 publication.

Spectral analysis, an unusual capability in a unit of its class, covers the
entire 45-860 MHz range; it is expandable from full band down to a 10MHz
zoom. A double frequency marker is available for measurements on both
digital and analogue channels.

These actually look pretty good for digital / analogue terrestrial. The idea
of not having to struggle with a 5kg meter for a simple aerial install
sounds very appealing. My current meter (Promax MC377+ which is same as
current MC577) I have to say I'm not over the moon with. C/N readings are
displayed on a level bar, with stuck on level markings. I'd much prefer a
numerical reading. It also doesn't attempt BER measurement in any way shape
of form.

Comments on this meter?

Old March 19th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nigel Bywater

Hi
Thanks for the info but I guess I would be lost with all the different
values.
I have been told I am almost ready for a solering iron, so I might wait
untill I have a bit more experience.
Nigel :-)

.. .

Old March 19th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
GameBashers | Carpy

I wouldn't bother with one of those. I doubt even Bill has a "solering"
iron......................

Old March 21st 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I wouldn't bother with one of those. I doubt even Bill has a

"solering"
iron......................

I've got gobbling irons in my hands right now.

Bill

PS I hasten to add that they are for eating food, not for oral sex.
Or don't you call it gobbling down south?
Or don't you do it all that much, so it isn't really an issue what you
call it?
Actually, is oral sex just talking yourself into an orgasm?

Old March 21st 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate2

wrote in message
ps.com...

I wouldn't bother with one of those. I doubt even Bill has a

"solering"
iron......................

I've got gobbling irons in my hands right now.

Bill

PS I hasten to add that they are for eating food, not for oral sex.
Or don't you call it gobbling down south?
Or don't you do it all that much, so it isn't really an issue what

you
call it?
Actually, is oral sex just talking yourself into an orgasm?

If you've 'got gobbling irons in your hands right now' - what are you
using to type?

No, on second thoughts don't answer that!

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com