Combining 2 aerials into one signal

Old February 5th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian S.

Default Combining 2 aerials into one signal

"Pinky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
A lot of people will want to split one aerial into 2 signals, which will
obviously lose quality. But if I had 2 aerials, could I combine them into
one
and get a signal that was stronger than either of the aerials on their
own? Or
is that just being stupid?

Lets gets some sense into these answers. If by combining 2 aerials you mean
the typical long arials used for normal TV reception (most often called
yagi's) they can of course be combined. Radio amateurs do it all the time
sometimes combining up to 32 or more aerials into one array. And believe me
they gain, they don't lose signal but it has to be done very very carefully
with all of the signals in the correct phase. If you mean the signal coming
from two or more satellite dishes, then forget it. It is possible (see what
many radio telescopes do) but is so difficult as to be almost impossible.
Ian

Old February 5th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:32:42 +0100, "Ian S." wrote:

| "Pinky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| A lot of people will want to split one aerial into 2 signals, which will
| obviously lose quality. But if I had 2 aerials, could I combine them into
| one
| and get a signal that was stronger than either of the aerials on their
| own? Or
| is that just being stupid?
|
| Lets gets some sense into these answers. If by combining 2 aerials you mean
| the typical long arials used for normal TV reception (most often called
| yagi's) they can of course be combined. Radio amateurs do it all the time
| sometimes combining up to 32 or more aerials into one array. And believe me
| they gain, they don't lose signal but it has to be done very very carefully
| with all of the signals in the correct phase. If you mean the signal coming
| from two or more satellite dishes, then forget it. It is possible (see what
| many radio telescopes do) but is so difficult as to be almost impossible.

If you are ever on the North Yorks Moors took at the Fylingdales pyramid
http://www.cndyorks.gn.apc.org/bases/dwebb.htm
Each of the 3 faces of the pyramid contains an array of 2,560 aerials.

Not that utd-tv subscribers would be able to handle that many ;-)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat ITV, Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -
Old February 5th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

If you are ever on the North Yorks Moors took at the Fylingdales pyramid
http://www.cndyorks.gn.apc.org/bases/dwebb.htm
Each of the 3 faces of the pyramid contains an array of 2,560 aerials.

Russian accent
Thank you Comrade. During a recent brief gap in the cloud-cover we
only detected 2,510.
\Russian accent
;-)

--