TV Ariel Cable

Old July 4th 03, 06:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DeeInLondon

Default TV Ariel Cable

I went o my Aunts' house to look at her TV picture and it's damn arwful, I
thought a Freeview box might help but the signal was too rubbish to get a
stable picture

Then just for the sake of trying I put a small indoor ariel and the picture
was perfect on teriisterial and digital channals - only problem was I had to
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

There are 2 main problems -

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way to every other house in her
road

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all - I
noticed just by moving the lead going from the wall socket to the TV input
the signal varies a lot. I do have a whole reel of cable that I bought to
install a Satelittl dish - can I use that instead of normal CoAxial cable?
Would that produce a better or worse TV picture? I seem to remember that
that cable had a silverfoil lining inside as a sheild rather then the cross
cross wire in co-axial cable. But it was laso a lot thinner - so not sure
which wire is best, for minimum signal loss and maximum shielding from
passing traffic, and electical interference.

Old July 4th 03, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Anthony G Walker

Not only is your aunt's television pictures awful so is your inability to
construct a sentence.
Before delving into the complicated field of electronics I would be tempted
to grasp the basic skill of grammar and spelling.
That is, of course, unless you around three years of age!

Old July 4th 03, 07:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Terry

Anthony

Please be polite and sensitive to others.

Thank you

Mike

Old July 4th 03, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QrizB

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:22:48 +0100, "DeeInLondon"
wrote:

I went o my Aunts' house to look at her TV picture and it's damn arwful, I
thought a Freeview box might help but the signal was too rubbish to get a
stable picture

Then just for the sake of trying I put a small indoor ariel and the picture
was perfect on teriisterial and digital channals - only problem was I had to
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

There are 2 main problems -

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way to every other house in her
road

Well, does her aerial point in the direction that you were aiming the
indoor aerial, or some other direction? If it's some other direction,
then it probably needs re-aiming.

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all - I
noticed just by moving the lead going from the wall socket to the TV input
the signal varies a lot. I do have a whole reel of cable that I bought to
install a Satelittl dish - can I use that instead of normal CoAxial cable?
Would that produce a better or worse TV picture?

Replacing her coax with satellite coax should improve things no end,
and you may as well do this at the same time as re-ali=gning her
antenna.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 4th 03, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jonathan Buzzard

In article ,
"Anthony G Walker" writes:
Not only is your aunt's television pictures awful so is your inability to
construct a sentence.
Before delving into the complicated field of electronics I would be tempted
to grasp the basic skill of grammar and spelling.
That is, of course, unless you around three years of age!

Or perhaps suffering from a specific learning disability like dyslexia.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195
Old July 4th 03, 10:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

"Anthony G Walker" wrote in message
Not only is your aunt's television pictures awful so is your inability to
construct a sentence.
Before delving into the complicated field of electronics I would be

tempted
to grasp the basic skill of grammar and spelling.
That is, of course, unless you around three years of age!

Sorry, can't resist this:

Either you mean "not only ARE your aunt's television pictures..." or "not
only is your aunt's television picture..".

And, of course, "unless you ARE around three years of age!".

Old July 4th 03, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
db

Fitting an aerial or antenna would help enormously too............!

Old July 4th 03, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:01:52 +0100, "Anthony G Walker"

Before delving into the complicated field of electronics I would be tempted
to grasp the basic skill of grammar and spelling.

Very poor netiquette.
--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Old July 4th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

Or perhaps suffering from a specific learning disability like dyslexia.

Quite. In any case his inability to write good English was not relevant to his
query. After all, suppose a foreigner approached a policeman and asked the way
in very poor English. It wouldn't be right for the policeman to criticise his
English and ignore the question, now would it?
Incidentally, the questioner is in good company in his inability to spell
'aerial'. In an item about Rod Hull the Sunday Times got it wrong this week.
Bill

Laugh at our Rogue's Gallery
Admire the antiquities in Albert's Attic
Marvel at our breathtaking Aerial Photography
All anoraks MUST visit
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/index.html
Old July 4th 03, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

I put a small indoor ariel

I had to
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all -

What is this "ariel" you make repeated reference to?

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella