TV Ariel Cable

Old July 4th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Hearn

Default TV Ariel Cable

"John Porcella" wrote in message
I put a small indoor ariel

I had to
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all -

What is this "ariel" you make repeated reference to?

So its not just me that finds people using 'ariel' instead of 'aerial'
annoying? Maybe its an Americanism? What do the US call them?

Old July 4th 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

What do the US call them?

Antenna

Old July 4th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:26:38 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Terry"
wrote:

"Anthony G Walker" wrote in message
Not only is your aunt's television pictures awful so is your inability to
construct a sentence.
Before delving into the complicated field of electronics I would be

tempted
to grasp the basic skill of grammar and spelling.
That is, of course, unless you around three years of age!

"DeeInLondon" wrote in message
I went o my Aunts' house to look at her TV picture and it's damn arwful,

thought a Freeview box might help but the signal was too rubbish to get

stable picture

Then just for the sake of trying I put a small indoor ariel and the

picture
was perfect on teriisterial and digital channals - only problem was I

had
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

There are 2 main problems -

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way to every other house in

her
road

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all - I
noticed just by moving the lead going from the wall socket to the TV

input
the signal varies a lot. I do have a whole reel of cable that I bought

install a Satelittl dish - can I use that instead of normal CoAxial

cable?
Would that produce a better or worse TV picture? I seem to remember that
that cable had a silverfoil lining inside as a sheild rather then the

cross
cross wire in co-axial cable. But it was laso a lot thinner - so not

sure
which wire is best, for minimum signal loss and maximum shielding from
passing traffic, and electical interference.

Anthony

Please be polite and sensitive to others.

And not top-post !

JPG

Thank you

Mike

Old July 4th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony Walton

David Hearn wrote:
"John Porcella" wrote in message

I put a small indoor ariel

I had to

stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all -

What is this "ariel" you make repeated reference to?

So its not just me that finds people using 'ariel' instead of 'aerial'
annoying? Maybe its an Americanism? What do the US call them?

Probably "antennas" (or possibly "antennae"). Ariel is a washing
powder, a character in "The Tempest", the BBC in-house magazine and a
mis-spelling of "aerial" that is becoming so common I'm almost not
noticing it any more. IMVHO there are more important issues to bother
about (like wondering what's going to be on CBM on Freeview).

--
Tony

Old July 4th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Some bloke

"Tony Walton" wrote
Probably "antennas" (or possibly "antennae"). Ariel is a washing
powder, a character in "The Tempest", the BBC in-house magazine and a
mis-spelling of "aerial" that is becoming so common I'm almost not

Yeah I mean of course people were gonna think that he was plugging his set
top box into a box of washing powder, can we please have some ****ing
tolerance for people who haven't got perfect English/spelling

Old July 4th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Brady

QrizB wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:22:48 +0100, "DeeInLondon"
wrote:

I went o my Aunts' house to look at her TV picture and it's damn arwful, I
thought a Freeview box might help but the signal was too rubbish to get a
stable picture

Then just for the sake of trying I put a small indoor ariel and the picture
was perfect on teriisterial and digital channals - only problem was I had to
stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

There are 2 main problems -

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way to every other house in her
road

Well, does her aerial point in the direction that you were aiming the
indoor aerial, or some other direction? If it's some other direction,
then it probably needs re-aiming.

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all - I
noticed just by moving the lead going from the wall socket to the TV input
the signal varies a lot. I do have a whole reel of cable that I bought to
install a Satelittl dish - can I use that instead of normal CoAxial cable?
Would that produce a better or worse TV picture?

Replacing her coax with satellite coax should improve things no end,
and you may as well do this at the same time as re-ali=gning her
antenna.

Agreed, but do you think that if the coax is dodgy then he might find
the aerial is a bit old and the fixing bolts and connections are
corroded? Fitting a new aerial whilst he's up the ladder might make a
lot of sense.
Don't do a Rod Hull though!

Phil

Old July 6th 03, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tom

"DeeInLondon" wrote in message
I went o my Aunts' house to look at her TV picture and it's damn arwful, I
thought a Freeview box might help but the signal was too rubbish to get a
stable picture

Then just for the sake of trying I put a small indoor ariel and the

picture
was perfect on teriisterial and digital channals - only problem was I had

stnad bythe windows holding the ariel.

There are 2 main problems -

a) her main ariel faces a toally different way to every other house in her
road

Could have been blown around by the wind, due to a loosened fitting, in
which case she ought to get an installer to fix or replace it.

It could also be much older than the others which are using a newer relay
transmitter. If this were the case, the alignment would probably be
different - her aerial would have the elements horizontal and the others
would be vertical.

b) I think the wire for the ariel insn't very weel sheilded at all - I
noticed just by moving the lead going from the wall socket to the TV input
the signal varies a lot. I do have a whole reel of cable that I bought to
install a Satelittl dish - can I use that instead of normal CoAxial cable?
Would that produce a better or worse TV picture? I seem to remember that
that cable had a silverfoil lining inside as a sheild rather then the

cross
cross wire in co-axial cable. But it was laso a lot thinner - so not sure
which wire is best, for minimum signal loss and maximum shielding from
passing traffic, and electical interference.

A new cable might help, or you could at least re-terminate the plugs on the
end of the existing one. Many DIY plugs do not give good contacts. Won't
help much, though, if the aerial's pointing in the wrong direction.

Old July 10th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

"Some bloke" wrote in message
"Tony Walton" wrote
Probably "antennas" (or possibly "antennae"). Ariel is a washing
powder, a character in "The Tempest", the BBC in-house magazine and a
mis-spelling of "aerial" that is becoming so common I'm almost not

Yeah I mean of course people were gonna think that he was plugging his set
top box into a box of washing powder, can we please have some ****ing
tolerance for people who haven't got perfect English/spelling

Whilst some latitude sounds very fair, this is a technical NG, and if we
cannot get the spelling of 'aerial' right, then we are not worth much.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella