Streaming dongle choice, or ?

Old February 9th 18, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

Default Streaming dongle choice, or ?

On 09/02/18 01:01, Davey wrote:
Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I know
very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody here
can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate
some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

A BT YouView (made by Humax) box.

You can get disk or diskless versions. Try eBay, the second-hand
diskless go for under £20. With a disk, about £50 to £70.

Does all the terrestrial TV - All4, ITV Hub, iPlayer, UK Play, NowTV
movies and other internet TV channels integrated in the YouView TV guide.

Doesn't do YouTube or NowTV entertainment, so you'll need something else
for that.

--
Adrian C
Old February 9th 18, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 09/02/2018 08:22, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 09/02/2018 01:01, Davey wrote:
Having been flummoxed again by the inability of my Linux PC to access
All4, I saw the current ad. for refurbished Humax boxes. The most
suitable for me is £117, the FVP-4000T. I then wondered about using a
streaming stick instead, Google or Roku or whatever, about which I know
very little.
Searching for information, I am still confused, so maybe somebody here
can help. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate
some knowledgeable input on this.

Requirement: All4, ITV Hub, etc.
4K needed: No.
Own Remote control needed: Yes.
WiFi needed: No.
Ethernet port needed: Yes.

The Amazon Fire would seem to be perfect, but old basic ones aren't
available, and refurbished ones are £75. Plus I would need an internet
adaptor for the new one, which is £60 alone.

It looks as though a refurbished Humax, at £117, would do what I want,
and would also be able to record programmes.

At the moment, the Humax looks the better bet.

Any constructive comments welcome.

The reviews of the FVP-4000T are not wonderful.
For catch-up TV, I bought a second hand BT Youview box from ebay and set
it up after a Factory Reset. You don't need a BT internet service to use
it (I haven't) and apart from the inability to record catch-up
programmes I haven't found any major drawbacks.

Worth a look, I reckon.

Jim

I have a TalkTalk youview box, but since being connected to my BT
internet its turned into a BT YouView box.

Its seems to do all the catchup software..

Dave
Old February 9th 18, 02:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:32:45 +0000
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

You are speaking Greek, as far as I am concerned! But thanks for the
thought.

Sorry, too easy to assume someone running linux knows how to install
an emulator ... it would give you a virtual android tablet inside
your PC, which would probably run the All4 android app.

Yeah, I'm only a half-geek! I play with Linux to do what I need, but
trying something of which I know nothing is always tricky. I don't have
(nor need) a smartphone, so have no experience of Android or
applications.
I found some stuff online about the subject, but would prefer something
attached to the TV rather than to the PC.

But thanks anyway.

--
Davey.
Old February 10th 18, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:44:28 +0000
Mark Undrill wrote:

[...]

A Now TV box at around £20 may be of interest. I got one for £12 a
year or so ago with 2 months of $ky cinema included. I watched a
couple of the films and then cancelled $ky cinema. I still use the
box for iPlayer, All4, ITVHub etc.

I see one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOW-TV-Bo...EAAOSwZ4dZFxI1

but is says nothing about what it can do!

--
Davey.

Old February 10th 18, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 10/02/18 15:21, Davey wrote:

A Now TV box at around £20 may be of interest. I got one for £12 a
year or so ago with 2 months of $ky cinema included. I watched a
couple of the films and then cancelled $ky cinema. I still use the
box for iPlayer, All4, ITVHub etc.

I see one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOW-TV-Bo...EAAOSwZ4dZFxI1

but is says nothing about what it can do!

Well, that's eBay for you

Read here.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/now-tv-box

I've got one. Doesn't do UK Play, which is IMO a major downer, given
what that channel has on offer. Also ye need to give them a credit card
number to activate it.

Go for the diskless BT youview box, much better interface and experience.

--
Adrian C
Old February 10th 18, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:40:55 +0000
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 10/02/18 15:21, Davey wrote:

A Now TV box at around £20 may be of interest. I got one for £12 a
year or so ago with 2 months of $ky cinema included. I watched a
couple of the films and then cancelled $ky cinema. I still use the
box for iPlayer, All4, ITVHub etc.

I see one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOW-TV-Bo...EAAOSwZ4dZFxI1

but is says nothing about what it can do!

Well, that's eBay for you

Read here.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/now-tv-box

I've got one. Doesn't do UK Play, which is IMO a major downer, given
what that channel has on offer. Also ye need to give them a credit
card number to activate it.

Go for the diskless BT youview box, much better interface and
experience.

Ah, thanks. I had found the same review as you mention there. It says
'All UK catchup TV services', which i would have taken to include UK
Play.
So I'll search for the BT box instead; thanks for the help.

--
Davey.

Old February 10th 18, 08:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 09/02/2018 11:51, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 08:22:24 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

[...]

Thanks, a good thought.

The DTR-2000 (a Youview box) also provides Iplayer,
ITV Hub, ALL4 and Demand 5, S4C, UKTV, NowTV and
Netflix, and seems to have fewer bad reviews.

If this is all you need, it's probably a better
product and only £111 for a refurb model. This may
be the BT vision box, since humax was one of their
suppliers.

I bought a Refurb HD-FOX T2 for the London 2012
Olympics, connected to my Hazro IPS monitor and
an amptastic amp for sound. Almost 6 years on
it is still working perfectly. I bought a usb
hard drive and that enabled recording and all the
instant pause/replay features and the lack of a
2nd tuner isn't a problem. Youtube and Twitter
vanished for some obscure licensing reason leaving
just iPlayer, which occasionally crashes but is fine
the 2nd time in. This is with a contract group C/D
aerial inside the loft, lashed up with string and
two coax cables connected to feed two tv's. (Midhurst).

All the FVP-%000 models do is allow access to Humax
Apps, such as the one that allows you to view the
cloud content from their rebadged Ycam security camera.
Old February 10th 18, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 09/02/2018 11:53, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 10:47:59 +0100
Martin wrote:

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 01:01:37 +0000, Davey
wrote:

[...]

Some years ago, I bought a refurbished Humax STB for £65 and
discovered that you can record one channel at a time by plugging in
an external hard disk. The user interface and software is identical
to our Humax PVR, HUMAX HDR-1100S

A good thought, thanks. Worth a look.

That sounds like the HD-FOX-T2 which I also bought. Sadly no longer
available apart from fleabay.

Martin, did your box 'lose' its twitter and Youtube functionality too ?.

Old February 11th 18, 12:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Indy Jess John wrote:

[...]

Interesting info, thanks. Ask a question, and get more information than
you thought possible!
The DTR-2000 looks a good choice for me, and as you say, the reviews
are good.
My refurb HDR-Fox T2 has been great, but can't do any of the Cath=ch-up
stuff.
It says that it does All4, itv (hub?), UKTV, and those are what I can't
get now. Heaven knows what Milkshake is. If iPlayer fails, no problem,
I can get that using get-iplayer or my current Humax.

--
Davey.

Old February 11th 18, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 11/02/2018 00:56, Davey wrote:

It says that it does All4, itv (hub?), UKTV, and those are what I can't
get now. Heaven knows what Milkshake is. If iPlayer fails, no problem,
I can get that using get-iplayer or my current Humax.

Milkshake is an early morning Channel 5 programme for youngsters: real
people introducing cartoons. There is a catch-up website milkshake.tv
which is probably what is being referred to in your context.