BBC's new Weather website - where have the isobars gone?

Old February 7th 18, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

Default BBC's new Weather website - where have the isobars gone?

The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?
--
Ian
Old February 7th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 07/02/2018 10:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

like this?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...4.00&lat=55.01

--
Robin
Old February 7th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Ian Jackson wrote:

The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

Can't see one, they show Eire as "dimmed" out, but instead of dimming
continental europe, they've removed it completely and replaced it with
clouds.

Also why have they've revamped the weather section, but still not
brought html5 video for the forecasts, it still whines about needing flash.

Old February 7th 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 07/02/2018 10:48, Robin wrote:
On 07/02/2018 10:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

like this?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...4.00&lat=55.01

ooops, wrong tab in Firefox. Try

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

and then the "Pressure " tab there

--
Robin
Old February 7th 18, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 07/02/2018 10:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

I just use this site :-

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice...ts.html#charts
Old February 7th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 07/02/2018 10:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

I use the Met Office mobile one, mobile because the desktop version
inserts ads.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/surface-pressure/
Old February 7th 18, 01:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

I suspect that MeteoGroup, who have now taken over from the Met Office,
should take much of the credit, though presumably the BBC would have had
an input.
--
John Hall
"Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history
Old February 7th 18, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 10:32:12 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

There was something on the radio yesterday with the presenter being
excited about the changes to the BBC weather presentation and no
longer using brown or something.

I like playing with

https://earth.nullschool.net/

--
AnthonyL
Old February 7th 18, 02:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

I suspect they consider that very few viewers can understand surface
pressure charts.

There is information about the recent changes he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/42822208

Pressure - where are the pressure maps?

You can find pressure charts on forecast location pages. Go to a
location, such as Cardiff, scroll down the page to the map.

Then just select the 'Full screen' option' to open the map and
select the 'pressure' key on the left. Toggle on the pressure data
layer to see pressure for your region, country or even globe.

I.e. go to this page:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0

Click on one of the locations named on the map.
A page will be shown for that location.
For instance Manchester:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2643123

Scroll down the page to the map and click on "Full Screen" at the bottom
right of the map.
Then click on "Key and options" at the top left and select "Pressure"
(You may need to scroll down through the options.)
It is possible to zoom out to see a larger area including the whole of
the World.

Those surface pressure charts are "simpler" than the useful ones on the
Met Office site.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old February 7th 18, 02:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:00:06 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 07/02/2018 10:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
The BBC have introduced a new, improved style of presenting the weather.

On their website, there no longer appears to be a proper 'Jack Scott'
weather map (Surface Pressure Chart), as per
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...re/#?tab=surfa
cePressureColour&fcTime=1517918400

Is it there somewhere, and I can't find it - or do the BBC feel that
nobody was interested?

I use the Met Office mobile one, mobile because the desktop version
inserts ads.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/surface-pressure/

I use the Metcheck website. There are apps available:
https://www.metcheck.com/

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)