Mumblers united

Old January 8th 18, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Mumblers united

It gets even worse on Dr Who when you bring in Audio description as well.
there seems to be little attention to the points we need to know and lots of
details about things that would better left to the imagination, as in a
Radio version.
To me, they often miss the whole point of audio describing things. We need
facial expressions, body language and the like not a full description of the
inside of the Tardis, at least not at a crucial moment.
bran

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message , The Other John
writes
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 08:47:34 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Has tv drama decided to record all dialogue as mumbles?
I was watching the box last night to see what was on and something on
bbc 1 which I'm assuming was a drama seemed to have all the dialogue
mumbled.

I watched the first episode of the new thriller "Hard Sun" on Saturday and
had to turn subtitles on due to mumblevision [tm]!

I've had great difficulty in making out what Peter Capaldi has been saying
since he took over the title role in "Doctor Who". He doesn't enunciate at
all clearly. Background music that at times has been so loud as to be
foreground music hasn't helped matters.

I suspect that the producers of TV drama have the advantage of hearing and
seeing their episodes played back on state of the art equipment costing
thousands of pounds, as well as being younger than a large proportion of
their audience and so having better hearing. Thus they fail to realise
what a struggle it is to make out the dialogue for many of their
listeners.
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.

Old January 8th 18, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes not a clue at all. I also find on commercial tv, the AD track is in the
middle of a description important to the plot and its just chopped to show
the commercials (which are going to be AD as well soon, cannot wait), and
then when it comes back a few crucial words are missing of course. They must
surely be aware of the soundtrack of ad and could very easily slice at the
end of all speech?
Its just the automated way tv is these days, nobody there watching the
shop.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 08/01/2018 08:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Has tv drama decided to record all dialogue as mumbles?
I was watching the box last night to see what was on and something on bbc
1
which I'm assuming was a drama seemed to have all the dialogue mumbled.
At
first I thought it was my ears, but no, I could hear other channels
dialogue
fine.
I've noticed this on and off before. One cannot even blame music or
sound
effects. its just low level echo ridden or top end light.

It's either "naturalism" or a reluctance on the part of the director to
criticise highly paid actors, or lack of time to retake or overdub.

The "naturalism" argument - that that is how people speak in real life -
doesn't really wash as in a real conversation you usually (a) know how the
person speaks, (b) roughly what they will say (c) what the context is and
(d) can ask for a repetition.

Programme makers have been told about this often enough, but they appear
to have a policy of ignoring us mere viewers, as with spoiler snippets of
the programme contents at the start, credit squashing and shout overs,
telling us what is on next in the minutes up to the end and the rest.

--
Max Demian

Old January 8th 18, 09:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Monday, 8 January 2018 13:59:18 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
piece of fiction where the simple act of downloading a computer file
results in a rapid movie of its content during the download,

It was like that in Terminal[1] at 300/300 bps

Owain

[1] The communications program, not any movie of any similar name
Old January 9th 18, 01:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
The trail they have been running for that rather odd concept, pre
apocalyptic crime drama, is mumbles punctuated by lots of over acted
shouting.

That's called proper acting, that is. That's called "demonstrating
your range"

I notice that EastEnders has joined the whispering classes. It all
started with that Beppe Di Marco. Now quite a lot of scenes involve
two or three people breathlessly whispering at each other, as if they
are frightened of being overheard by the viewers!

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk