Poor signal quality on CH60 mux

Old January 2nd 18, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
WCZ[_5_]

Default Poor signal quality on CH60 mux

Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting intermittent picture breakup
on all channels carried by the CH60 mux on the Oxford transmitter. Tele and
both PVRs attached to it are affected and looking at the signal stats when
the picture is breaking up I see good signal strength but the signal quality
is all over the place. I've not added anything new to the setup in months
and it doesn't appear to be Christmas light related as turning them off
doesn't resolve the problem.

Could this be 4G signal interference? I've been looking for a filter that
still allows CH60 to be received but so far no luck.

--

WCZ

Old January 2nd 18, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 02/01/2018 09:30, WCZ wrote:
Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting intermittent picture
breakup on all channels carried by the CH60 mux on the Oxford
transmitter.* Tele and both PVRs attached to it are affected and looking
at the signal stats when the picture is breaking up I see good signal
strength but the signal quality is all over the place.* I've not added
anything new to the setup in months and it doesn't appear to be
Christmas light related as turning them off doesn't resolve the problem.

Could this be 4G signal interference?* I've been looking for a filter
that still allows CH60 to be received but so far no luck.

It could be 4G interference.

I wouldn't spent too much time and money on this. In April/May ish
all of Oxford's main 6 muxes move 'down band' to

41, 44, 47, 29, 37, 31, and COM 7 and 8 move to 55 and 56

So the Ch 60 mux will move to Ch 44

I'd hold fire on any drastic changes (if you can) until then.
It's also possible that engineering work to enable those
changes is affecting transmission at present

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragec...dishscp8jssbk1

--
Mark
Old January 2nd 18, 10:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , WCZ wrote:
Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting intermittent picture
breakup on all channels carried by the CH60 mux on the Oxford
transmitter. Tele and both PVRs attached to it are affected and
looking at the signal stats when the picture is breaking up I see good
signal strength but the signal quality is all over the place. I've not
added anything new to the setup in months and it doesn't appear to be
Christmas light related as turning them off doesn't resolve the problem.

Could this be 4G signal interference? I've been looking for a filter
that still allows CH60 to be received but so far no luck.

Yes, it might be 4G if a new base station near your line of sight to the
Oxford TX has started up - or a close neighbour is now using 4G.

You *might* find adding an attenuator reduces the problem if you can't find
a suitable filter. There was a body that promised to send out free suitable
filters to all who needed them.[1] But reality probably came no-where near
that! I got one (and needed it) simply because I was in contact with them
as a 'journalist' at the time about the issue. So the fact that they sent
me one doesn't ensure people who had no idea what was happening all did.

Someone like CPC or Maplin or similar may sell something suitable.

Jim

[1] I've forgotten their name but someone else here will probably recall it
or know if they can still send out filters.

Old January 2nd 18, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If the strength is good on all the others as well, then an attenuator might
stop the desensing or intermod products which might be the cause of it.
6Db might be all you need.
If that does not work, then its going to be difficult I imagine.
It would really help people if somebody knew where 4G transmitter towers
were and at what power they ran. What I never figured out was that some
years back we here in SW London who are on low channels in any case, were
sent letters saying claim your free 4G filter when we would be unlikely to
ever need them.

Old January 2nd 18, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
If the strength is good on all the others as well, then an attenuator
might stop the desensing or intermod products which might be the cause of
it. 6Db might be all you need. If that does not work, then its going to
be difficult I imagine. It would really help people if somebody knew
where 4G transmitter towers were and at what power they ran. What I never
figured out was that some years back we here in SW London who are on low
channels in any case, were sent letters saying claim your free 4G filter
when we would be unlikely to ever need them. Brian

One reason is that most amplifiers, including the one in the VCR/DVR
recorder, are wideband and might overload with a nearby high level signal
which would be within its passband. Even some tvs can overload with out of
(wanted) band signals.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 2nd 18, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, maybe, but I suspect then that the use of SDR technology these days
seems to have outstripped the technical prowess needed to design a broad
band amp or any stage that is not going to overload with the combined powers
taken from the transmitters within its pass band. In the old mechanical uhf
tuners, which I do see why they cannot use of course, even the rf stage was
tuned. Now unfortunately, due to the need to be able to hop from one
multiplex to another at will, the input has to accept all the extra stuff
coming in. I remember many years ago that somebody had made a very linear
amplifier for wide band use based, believe it or not on a small valve, not a
semiconductor running on a very high voltage so the actual signal being
handled were very small and in a very linear area of the curve. Probably not
practical in today's equipment of course!

Old January 2nd 18, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I wonder if the originator of this thread actually plugged each item, one at
a time into the aerial to check to see if there is non linearity elsewhere.
Of course we do not know how he is feeding the aerial to all the devices.

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , WCZ wrote:
[...]

Electronics
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm

Old January 2nd 18, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
WCZ[_5_]

I wonder if the originator of this thread actually plugged each item, one
at a time into the aerial to check to see if there is non linearity
elsewhere. Of course we do not know how he is feeding the aerial to all
the devices.
Brian

I didn't check each device individually but I did plug the aerial outlet in
the wall directly into the back of the tele, bypassing anything in between,
and that didn't resolve the picture break up problem. I also replaced the
coax between the wall and tele and that may have made the problem worse.

The aerial is mounted within the loft and the cable comes through the house
into the lounge where it is terminated in a wall outlet. There are no
amplifiers in use and the loft aerial feeds a single outlet.

The intermittent picture breakup started in the week before Christmas and
continues to date. Spectre last night on ITV had some minor breakup at
times but not as bad as it has been. Channels on anything other the mux
that runs on CH60 are unaffected.

--

WCZ

Old January 2nd 18, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

https://at800.tv

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old January 2nd 18, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Be interesting to know if the tuners in the other equipment show anything
different. That might point to an overload. I doubt the performance is the
same on all of them.

As has been said, a loft aerial is going to attenuate higher channels more
than lower ones of course so any interference might be worse.