A discussion in that D-I-Y group

Old December 31st 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Default A discussion in that D-I-Y group

From when I was in the job, I was in contact with the BBC R & D
engineers researching signing. The problem, which won't have gone away
is simply that. Lack of available bitrate. Satellite would allow it,
but not Terrestrial - bitrate budget is too tight!

On 27/12/2017 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Has probably deliberately been winding me up as several folk over there do
not like AD subtitles or in the case in point, signing.

The problem as I see it from reading some web sites is this. If bandwidth
were not an issue, it would be easy to add a signed video track to the
output of a channel and hide it when its not wanted, but because these days
at least, bandwidth is seemingly cut to the bone, this is not done so one
gets the ludicrous situation where its actually cheaper on bandwidth to
leave the signer on screen all the time!
IE its part of the transmission much as AD is on the I player etc,but of
course this would not be tolerated by the average viewer, so any viewer who
needs the signing has to wait for the repeat to see the signed version,
which also ****es of the viewer who finds the signer distracting.
There really should be enough bandwidth headroom given for signing in my
view.

Old January 1st 18, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 16:08:21 +0000, Andy Burns
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

Graham. wrote:

Spectacle wearers may well have problems with head-up displays, I can
focus on my (head-down) dashboard only thanks to my varifocals.

Isn't the virtual image on car HUDs some way in front of the bonnet?

Ah, that makes sense. Clearly I haven't given this sufficient thought.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%