Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

Old December 25th 17, 07:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi[_2_]

Default Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is so
sacred about BBC I wonder,

Old December 26th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Half the time in the past it would not recognise me with the right password.
I see the results of the most popular passwords are in and the winner is..
Password.
I'm not a lot better but until somebody can crack this id problem for
everyone with minimal effort it will always go on.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 07:58:58 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is so
sacred about BBC I wonder,

What's the point of locking your account for thirty minutes? Is it to
stop a
bot trying to login to your account? :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old December 26th 17, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 25/12/2017 07:58, Phi wrote:
You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is so
sacred about BBC I wonder,

A bit like loads of other services and websites then ?

The trick in all cases is to remember your password

--
Mark
Old December 26th 17, 11:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 25/12/17 10:05, Martin wrote:
What's the point of locking your account for thirty minutes? Is it to stop a
bot trying to login to your account?

It's to avoid having to employ humans to handle account unlock requests,
whilst providing reasonable protection against password guessing
attacks, particular non-automated ones.

Traditionally, you would have been locked out permanently and you would
have had to contact a system administrator, to get back in.

I think 3 is the maximum number of tries with SIMs and chip an pin, as well
Old December 26th 17, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 26/12/17 11:03, Mark Carver wrote:
On 25/12/2017 07:58, Phi wrote:
You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is
so sacred about BBC I wonder,

A bit like loads of other services and websites then ?

The trick in all cases is to remember your password

The other trick is to accept a cookie and stay signed in.

However, with most folks - the 'privacy mode' of a web browser has
become a de-facto thing, so cookies get wiped on closure.*

So instead of accepting machine based security tokens and further 2FA,
folks carry on using the name of their long dead pet ...

* I do this.

Accept third party cookies : never

--
Adrian C
Old December 26th 17, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 25/12/2017 07:58, Phi wrote:
You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is
so sacred about BBC I wonder,

A bit like loads of other services and websites then ?

The trick in all cases is to remember your password

The other trick is to accept a cookie and stay signed in.

I used to do that, but I don't now. I find having to enter my password
helps me remember it, which comes in handy when I need to use it on a
new device or someone else's etc.

--
Mark
Old December 26th 17, 12:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 25/12/2017 07:58, Phi wrote:
You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what
is so sacred about BBC I wonder,

A bit like loads of other services and websites then ?

The trick in all cases is to remember your password

...or use a password storing programme so you only have to remember one
password. I find Password Keeper excellent in that respect.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 26th 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 09:30:49 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I see the results of the most popular passwords are in and the winner
is..
Password.

That could be said to be the fault of software writers, after all if a
window pops up and says 'Enter password' some people are bound to take it
literally!

--
TOJ.
Old December 26th 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
The Other John wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 09:30:49 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I see the results of the most popular passwords are in and the winner
is..
Password.

That could be said to be the fault of software writers, after all if a
window pops up and says 'Enter password' some people are bound to take it
literally!

There's no ANY key on my keyboard

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 26th 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

news

On 25/12/2017 07:58, Phi wrote:
You attempted to log in 3 times without the correct password, what is so
sacred about BBC I wonder,

A bit like loads of other services and websites then ?

The trick in all cases is to remember your password

It wasn't the password, but the email address........I used a buckshee one
from many a years ago, so that they would not tie up my genuine email
address to the account info.

It's daft really, because it would have been quicker to setup a new BBC
account with a spoofed MAC address.