Pontop Pike

Old December 9th 17, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

Default Pontop Pike

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:28:47 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

One sees quite a lot of aerials leaning at very odd angles which are
probably no longer in use. My guess is that they have partly survived
one storm but are waiting for another one to complete the job.

In my road there's one suffering from 'wire rot' (tm) on the left of this
picture. It's about 60 degrees off the vertical polarisation needed for
the Reigate TX seen in the background, but as we're so close it probably
doesn't make much difference. Also interesting is the 3/4 of a band I
aerial on the house on the right. Perhaps they're waiting for the return
of 405 line telly!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8afop10b7t...rials.jpg?dl=0

--
TOJ.
Old December 9th 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"The Other John" wrote in message
news
[...]

You're into wet string territory there pal!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 9th 17, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 09/12/2017 16:33, Woody wrote:
"The Other John" wrote in message

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8afop10b7t...rials.jpg?dl=0

You're into wet string territory there pal!

Yes ! and in March Reigate's three PSB muxes enter into an SFN with
Crystal Palace. Shame the COMs won't too.

--
Mark
Old December 9th 17, 11:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/12/2017 15:17, The Other John wrote:

doesn't make much difference. Also interesting is the 3/4 of a band I
aerial on the house on the right.

Belling Lee. Distinctive clamp.

Perhaps they're waiting for the return
of 405 line telly!

I recently made a complete 405 rig for a collector of old tellys. He has
fixed it on his roof.

Old December 10th 17, 02:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 16:33:53 +0000, Woody wrote:

[...]

Assuming the use of brown open weave UHF co-ax, complete loss of the
aerial itself (and assuming the co-ax remains magically in-situ) might
even result in an improvement in reception, courtesy of the "Leaky
Feeder" effect that's normally put to good use in underground mining or
road tunnel communications systems.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 10th 17, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
news
[...]

For the sake of interest the first trials with leaky feeder were done
in Headstone Tunnel under Monsal Head (now a cycle trail) in
Derbyshire in the early 70's. Why? Because it has a double bend in it
so there is no LoS path.

Of further interest, these days where there is a tendency to cut
tunnels straight if possible (its cheaper) the preference is to put
directional aerials on the tunnel roof pointing along the tunnels with
on-frequency repeaters (OFRs) where needed. Many of the tunnels under
the Alps do that.

Old December 10th 17, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other John[_2_]

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 23:38:39 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I recently made a complete 405 rig for a collector of old tellys. He has
fixed it on his roof.

Unless they've removed it recently there's a band III aerial on a roof
near me pointing towards Croydon. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.
(That's the aerial pointing, not me )

--
TOJ.
Old December 10th 17, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/12/2017 02:29, Johnny B Good wrote:

Assuming the use of brown open weave UHF co-ax, complete loss of the
aerial itself (and assuming the co-ax remains magically in-situ) might
even result in an improvement in reception, courtesy of the "Leaky
Feeder" effect that's normally put to good use in underground mining or
road tunnel communications systems.

See the section on screening in this:
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...-quality.shtml

Old December 10th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/12/2017 10:03, The Other John wrote:
On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 23:38:39 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I recently made a complete 405 rig for a collector of old tellys. He has
fixed it on his roof.

Unless they've removed it recently there's a band III aerial on a roof
near me pointing towards Croydon. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.
(That's the aerial pointing, not me )

See also
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/aerialp...nt/index.shtml