microwave oven power consumption

Old December 5th 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

Default microwave oven power consumption

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:01:50 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 22/11/2017 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sadly since they work on all or nothing principals its hard to judge as the
only power control they have is on and off cycles. Magnetrons are not very
easy to adjust the power of.

I thought the inverter ones could adjust the power. My micros don't
cycle on/off anyway.

Bill

Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

Then it has 'Chaos Defrost' mode. I put a frozen steak in and set the
'type' and 'weight'parameters correctly. It started a ten-minute
defrost cycle. Alarmed at what I saw through the door after just a
minute I stopped it and noticed the steak was quite hot -well on the
way to being properly cooked. So that's on the way to being done in
just one minute with nine minutes of 'defrost;' left. I don' think so.

FWIW this microwave has been repaired twice within the warranty
period.

Panasonic ! Oh dear.what are you doing,

GrahamC

---

Old December 6th 17, 04:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/12/2017 23:00, Graham C wrote:
Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

Then it has 'Chaos Defrost' mode. I put a frozen steak in and set the
'type' and 'weight'parameters correctly. It started a ten-minute
defrost cycle. Alarmed at what I saw through the door after just a
minute I stopped it and noticed the steak was quite hot -well on the
way to being properly cooked. So that's on the way to being done in
just one minute with nine minutes of 'defrost;' left. I don' think so.

FWIW this microwave has been repaired twice within the warranty
period.

Could it be faulty? I have two of these, and they seem to work fine. I'm
fairly sure they don't power cycle. Micros I've had that do have given
audible evidence of it and these don't. Also, our mains is dodgy and
when I put a micro on the halogens dim a bit, but it only happens on
full power and turbo, and they don't alternate between bright and dim
while it's on any setting.

Old December 6th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/12/2017 04:08, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Mine does power cycle, I can hear the relay click as it turns the
magnetron on and off. Mine is a Sanyo.

I haven't seen any of the extremes described by the OP. On
auto-defrost, I put in the type (Meat, Chicken, Fish or Bread are the
options), then the weight, and it does a blast on full power then a
pause, then another blast. It does this for a period of time that seems
to be associated with the weight (though the exact conversion from grams
to minutes isn't immediately obvious). The magnetron then switches off
for two minutes which is supposed to be long enough to equalise the
temperature, then there is a far longer period of short bursts and long
pauses (again there seems to be some correlation between weight and
time) until it goes Ping and switches off. The food inside is generally
faintly lukewarm, but it isn't showing signs of being partially cooked.

We chose the Sanyo because the reviews said it was excellent at
defrosting, which it is. It is also pretty good at reheating food left
over from the previous day. We don't cook much in it, and baked beans,
gravy, soup etc are not exactly challenging, so we don't really care
what the cooking quality is like. One thing I did notice is that the
Sanyo knows where the turntable is. If I put in a jug with a handle, it
always stops at the end of the cooking time with the handle in exactly
the same place as I put it in originally.

One thing I will say to the OP is that a 10 minute defrost cycle doesn't
automatically imply 10 minutes of microwave action (see my description
above). But if it does partly cook a steak rather than defrosting it,
it could be faulty, though this would be unusual for a Panasonic which
is usually a reliable brand. The other thought is that if this is a
Combination Oven, is the grill element on in addition to the microwaves?

Old December 6th 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Dec 2017 23:00:49 +0000, Graham C
wrote:

Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

My only attempt to cook porridge by microwave was such a disaster I've
never dared to repeat it, and have continued to use the traditional
method with a normal gas hob, simmering while stirring continuously
for seven minutes with a wooden spoon.

Old December 6th 17, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

Watching my Panasonic cook porridge suggests the inverter doesn't do
what one would expect. On 'Simmer' the porridge bowl goes round and
round and suddenly after say 20 secs, the contents threaten to climb
out of the bowl for a few seconds before settling back down again.,
then repeating after another 20 seconds. More like duty cycling to me!

My only attempt to cook porridge by microwave was such a disaster I've
never dared to repeat it, and have continued to use the traditional
method with a normal gas hob, simmering while stirring continuously
for seven minutes with a wooden spoon.

For ordinary rolled oats I find that, after bringing to the boil,
simmering for five minutes with an occasional stir is sufficient.

In a microwave the trick is to use a Pyrex bowl big enough that it
doesn't boil over (uncovered): 3 minutes at full power, stir, 2 more
minutes then rest for 1 minute. The convenience and time taken for the
two methods is roughly the same.

--
Max Demian
Old December 6th 17, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 06/12/2017 11:55, Huge wrote:

In a microwave the trick is to use a Pyrex bowl big enough that it
doesn't boil over (uncovered):

^ This ^

My wife has microwaved porridge for breakfast every day.

Same here, myself and Mrs C every day. We only have a boilover event
once every couple of months, normally as a result of not paying attention.

--
Mark
Old December 6th 17, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Mark Carver
writes
On 06/12/2017 11:55, Huge wrote:

In a microwave the trick is to use a Pyrex bowl big enough that it
doesn't boil over (uncovered):

^ This ^
My wife has microwaved porridge for breakfast every day.

Same here, myself and Mrs C every day. We only have a boilover event
once every couple of months, normally as a result of not paying
attention.

Hot Muesli (just treat it like porridge) works well. A little goes a
long way.

--
Ian