So what is the new 10K standard I'm hearing the new hdmi cable standard supports,

Old December 5th 17, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default So what is the new 10K standard I'm hearing the new hdmi cable standard supports,

And do we really need yet another standard?
Is this for screens as big as the wall of your house?

Old December 5th 17, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

And do we really need yet another standard?
Is this for screens as big as the wall of your house?

I think it's the 21:9 equivalent of 8K
Old December 6th 17, 10:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
And do we really need yet another standard? Is this for screens as big
as the wall of your house? Brian

*We* may not need/want it. ...But set makers might. :-)

Old December 6th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:40:49 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

And do we really need yet another standard?
Is this for screens as big as the wall of your house?

*We* don't need it. The people who want to sell it to us need it. If
the majority of the public are happy with what they've got, and the
technology is reliable enough to last a long time, then that simply
isn't good enough and we must be persuaded to want more.

Old December 6th 17, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 5 December 2017 17:40:53 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
And do we really need yet another standard?
Is this for screens as big as the wall of your house?
Brian

Not for domestic use probably, but perhaps for cinemas, out door displays or similar.

As it happens I am getting used to having two 4k displays on my PC - one is 60Hz and can't be run off current HDMI, so is connected via Display Port. The other could be HDMI, but is connected via dual DVI at 30Hz.

These are both eminently better visually than a full HD display I have connected via HDMI.

Without wishing to upset you I can easily tell full HD from SD on a 42" screen at 3- 4m, but not at 7-8m. When I get round to replacing our main TV, it will almost certainly be 4k HDR. Not even much of a premium now.
Old December 7th 17, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Without wishing to upset you I can easily tell full HD from SD on a 42" screen at 3- 4m, but not at 7-8m. When I get round to replacing our main TV, it will almost certainly be 4k HDR. Not even much of a premium now.

Brian started a thread about the different types of display a few weeks ago and it prompted me to look at a few showrooms such as Peter Jones and Harrods.

I'm still using a 42" plasma and if I were to change I would certainly skip LED and QLED (which seems the same to me) and go for OLED. Presumably there is 4k HDR in LED - but is there any point?

Tony

Old December 7th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 11:17:11 UTC, TonyGamble wrote:
Without wishing to upset you I can easily tell full HD from SD on a 42" screen at 3- 4m, but not at 7-8m. When I get round to replacing our main TV, it will almost certainly be 4k HDR. Not even much of a premium now.

Brian started a thread about the different types of display a few weeks ago and it prompted me to look at a few showrooms such as Peter Jones and Harrods.

I'm still using a 42" plasma and if I were to change I would certainly skip LED and QLED (which seems the same to me) and go for OLED. Presumably there is 4k HDR in LED - but is there any point?

Tony

I would worry about longevity on OLED. OTOH the OLED screen on my Nokia N8 has managed five years without noticeable deterioration, however it is never in the sun.

The point of HDR is supposedly better colour gamut (wider range of colours that you can see, but existing LED screens can't produce.
Old December 7th 17, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

I would worry about longevity on OLED. OTOH the OLED screen on my Nokia N8 has managed five years without noticeable deterioration, however it is never in the sun.

Neither is our television in our living room.

The point of HDR is supposedly better colour gamut (wider range of colours that you can see, but existing LED screens can't produce.

So HDR televisions are not LEd's as it produces a gamut LED cannot.

Taking me to presume that you need OLED to get the gamut from HDR.

Am I on the right track?

Tony

Old December 7th 17, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/12/2017 11:34, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 7 December 2017 11:17:11 UTC, TonyGamble wrote:

Without wishing to upset you I can easily tell full HD from SD on a 42" screen at 3- 4m, but not at 7-8m. When I get round to replacing our main TV, it will almost certainly be 4k HDR. Not even much of a premium now.

Brian started a thread about the different types of display a few weeks ago and it prompted me to look at a few showrooms such as Peter Jones and Harrods.

I'm still using a 42" plasma and if I were to change I would certainly skip LED and QLED (which seems the same to me) and go for OLED. Presumably there is 4k HDR in LED - but is there any point?

I would worry about longevity on OLED. OTOH the OLED screen on my Nokia N8 has managed five years without noticeable deterioration, however it is never in the sun.

The only OLED device I have is a cheapy camcorder (Aiptek PenCam Trio),
whose formerly full colour display is now a dim red only readable in a
dimly lit room.

--
Max Demian