BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

Old December 3rd 17, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

I see that - subject to Ofcom consent - there is to be new BBC
Scotland television channel. As far as I can see, it will be SD only
and will take the position of BBC Four (channel 9 on Freeview). All
the opt-outs on BBC Two will transfer to the new channel so in effect
BBC Two Scotland will end, to be replaced by BBC Two England. BBC Two
SD and BBC Two HD will be the same.

1. Will having a BBC One Scotland and a BBC Scotland cause confusion?
Will BBC One get a new name, maybe 'BBC One in Scotland'?.

2. 'BBC Scotland' will now have two meanings - the (trading) name of
the broadcaster and the name of a TV channel.

3. Does this mean the eventual loss of BBC Four HD when COM7 closes
and the HD channels are consolidated into one multiplex, ie will there
be pressure to include BBC Scotland rather than BBC Four?

4. Will the other BBC SD channels suffer a reduction in bitrate?
Old December 3rd 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

When BBC Three stopped transmitting on DVB-T, I thought BBC Four would
occupy its space. But no, it continues on COM7 (in HD format). That's why I
asked a few weeks ago in a thread in this group whether the plan was for all
the channels on COM7 and 8 to be moved eventually to one of the six
surviving multiplexes (PSB1,2,3 or COM4,5,6).

I would have thought that the transmitters that broadcast to Scotland would
have different mix of channels, as they do at present, to include some
Scotland-specific channels or variants of English channels. Likewise for
Wales and Northern Ireland.

Old December 3rd 17, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:52:47 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

They do. However, my question was about the implications of
introducing BBC Scotland as a new channel.
Old December 3rd 17, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:52:47 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Two questions:
Were not these changes in case Scotland won independence?
If BBC Scotland comes into being will they continue with Alba?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 3rd 17, 11:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:21:33 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

.. .

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

According to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42183607 the
proposal remains on the table notwithstanding the referendum vote and
the absence of any proposal at this stage to hold another referendum.

My take on it is that the BBC wants to bodyswerve the so-called'
'Scottish Six' by sidelining it to to a minor channel whilst at the
same time ingratiating itself with the SNP government by introducing a
'Scottish' channel.

As BBC Alba is a Gaelic language channel, I cannot see why it would be
affected by this change, and there is no suggestion of that.
Old December 3rd 17, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do wish we could find some way to get rid of the rubbish channels like the
true tv and cbs ones as most of what they churn out has either been on
somewhere else already or is utter crap. OK so this presumably is a cash cow
for freeview, but really I do not know of anyone who watches these channels
except as a kind of background vision version of muzak. then there ar the
shopping channels. do QVC really need so may?

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:21:33 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:52:47 -0000, "NY" wrote:

m...

Old December 3rd 17, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

If you don't like the regulated market in TV broadcasting you may only
have to wait a while: the Shadow Chancellor has strong views on markets
and capitalism - though I doubt he'd return to the Lord Chamberlain as
the arbiter of good taste

On 03/12/2017 12:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
I do wish we could find some way to get rid of the rubbish channels like the
true tv and cbs ones as most of what they churn out has either been on
somewhere else already or is utter crap. OK so this presumably is a cash cow
for freeview, but really I do not know of anyone who watches these channels
except as a kind of background vision version of muzak. then there ar the
shopping channels. do QVC really need so may?

Robin
Old December 3rd 17, 01:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Scott
wrote:

According to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42183607 the
proposal remains on the table notwithstanding the referendum vote and
the absence of any proposal at this stage to hold another referendum.

My take on it is that the BBC wants to bodyswerve the so-called'
'Scottish Six' by sidelining it to to a minor channel whilst at the same
time ingratiating itself with the SNP government by introducing a
'Scottish' channel.

Sadly, the BBC down south has often shown itself to be clueless about
Scotland. But even by their standards if they ceased BBC 4 entirely in
Scotland for the sake of an SD 'Scotland' it would be crazy. Sadly, the BBC
upper echelons have a talent for doing daft things.

As BBC Alba is a Gaelic language channel, I cannot see why it would be
affected by this change, and there is no suggestion of that.

Shame given that almost no-one cares about the Gaelic aspect of that. So
far as I can tell, the main reasons (a minority) uses it is for
kiddie-minding and footie, where the same people would watch regardless of
the language used.

In effect, the BBC gift to the SNP demonstations of the extent to which
they remain clueless about most people in Scotland.

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then try to
say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go down well
in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Old December 3rd 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 03/12/2017 10:21, Scott wrote:
I see that - subject to Ofcom consent - there is to be new BBC
Scotland television channel. As far as I can see, it will be SD only
and will take the position of BBC Four (channel 9 on Freeview).

Only its EPG position of LCN 9, It'll have to move down the EPG (rather
than 'up' to the logical position of Ch 7 or 8) because Freeview
platform rules say if a channel relinquishes an EPG position, it has to
move down, so in this case BBC 4 could end up down at 90 something.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/abouttheb...submission.pdf

Reading the proposals I don't see anything that suggests BBC 4 SD or HD
will vanish from any platform, only that BBC 2 Scotland opts will cease,
and transfer to this new channel. However I'm not sure where the
bandwidth will come from to carry it on DTT ? On D-Sat it will replace
BBC 2 Scotland (because proper BBC 2 London will be available instead)

--
Mark
Old December 3rd 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:41:49 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Scott
wrote:

According to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42183607 the
proposal remains on the table notwithstanding the referendum vote and
the absence of any proposal at this stage to hold another referendum.

My take on it is that the BBC wants to bodyswerve the so-called
'Scottish Six' by sidelining it to to a minor channel whilst at the same
time ingratiating itself with the SNP government by introducing a
'Scottish' channel.

Sadly, the BBC down south has often shown itself to be clueless about
Scotland. But even by their standards if they ceased BBC 4 entirely in
Scotland for the sake of an SD 'Scotland' it would be crazy. Sadly, the BBC
upper echelons have a talent for doing daft things.

My reading of the link is that BBC Four is remaining with only the
channel number changing to give the new channel a more prominent
position.