BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

Old December 4th 17, 04:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

On 03/12/2017 15:04, Martin wrote:

As BBC Alba is a Gaelic language channel, I cannot see why it would be
affected by this change, and there is no suggestion of that.

We really enjoyed the Scottish Country Dancing programme last night at 10pm.

Old December 11th 17, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other Mike

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:41:49 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then try to
say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go down well
in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly subsidised
ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

Old December 11th 17, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then
try to say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go
down well in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly
subsidised ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

And some are not. Also, having it 'available' doesn't mean it won't cost
the user.

Old December 11th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then try to
say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go down well
in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly subsidised
ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

We found this year that most of the remote campsites on the islands had
very fast broadband.

Old December 11th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on December 18, 2017.

On 2017-12-11, Jim Lesurf wrote:
wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then
try to say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go
down well in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly
subsidised ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

And some are not. Also, having it 'available' doesn't mean it won't cost
the user.

The last time I enquired (in the pub) on Jura, they had better internet
access than I did in the Home Counties.

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 53rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
Old December 11th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

We found this year that most of the remote campsites on the islands had
very fast broadband.

That makes economic sense for site owners who want to attract paying
vistors from elsewhere who take access for granted. If a given site
*didn't* offer this then they might lose customers to one that does.

The installation of the infrastructure has been subsidised. And that is
likely to be useful for helping both business and living in many areas.
And, as above, may be useful in helping people to take holidays in the UK.

But for someone at home to use this, they still need to pay for the
connection and data usage. So as a way to watch BBC HDTV it is likely to
cost more than having a 'Freeview' TV set for DVB-T/T2. Of course, this
matters more if you are poor than if you are wealthy, and all too often the
wealthly overlook that minor point.

Old December 11th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 11/12/2017 08:51, The Other Mike wrote:

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly subsidised
ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

I wish! I did a great deal of work in this area when FTTC came to the
local town 6 miles away, trying to persuade the government body
providing the funding for it that our community of 60 premises ought to
be included in the rollout, but without success.

http://www.macfh.co.uk/Shinness/Shinness.html

What happens with such government schemes is that they want headlines to
show the maximum number of people helped for the minimum funding, so
they work from the centres of population outwards, which is exactly what
businesses do, so the people most expensive to reach never get helped
either commercially or by social funding. What is needed are socially
funded schemes that work from the outreaches inwards, so that in
reaching the most remote areas you automatically cover the centres of
population.

I can't account for all the schemes detailed on the page that you have
linked, but I do know something about Althaharra - what happened there
is that they did all the supporting infrastructure work - trench
digging, etc - themselves. I strongly suspect that all the other
schemes are the same or similar, and that most of the work was done by
the local communities themselves.

There is nothing wrong with that idea per se, although it's a lot more
effort for a local community to get itself organised to do such work,
but the page's reporting is very misleading, giving the impression that
government and/or OpenReach are behaving like some kind fairy-godmother
benefactors, which, in reality, they are not - these are not schemes
where some UK or Scottish government department comes along, waves a
magic wand, and pays for everything, which is the impression you might
get from reading the article.

Having said that, if you read the Political Background section of my
submission, it does seem that long-term Scottish Government plans are
rather more ambitious than the wider UK's, though many of us in the
Highlands are concerned that in the end what will happen in reality is
that we get given vouchers for subsidised satellite connections just so
the 100% coverage figure can be claimed to have been achieved by 2021.
Old December 11th 17, 01:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then try to
say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go down well
in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly subsidised
ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

We're not all that far away from there - but our 'broadband' speeds
aren't any better than our old dial-up connection was.
Old December 11th 17, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 12/11/2017 7:57 AM, Java Jive wrote:

Having said that, if you read the Political Background section of my
submission, it does seem that long-term Scottish Government plans are
rather more ambitious than the wider UK's, though many of us in the
Highlands are concerned that in the end what will happen in reality is
that we get given vouchers for subsidised satellite connections just so
the 100% coverage figure can be claimed to have been achieved by 2021.

Several of the people along the road from us (western side of the Kyle
of Tongue), have gone to satellite - working from home can be next to
impossible without a decent internet connection.

Old December 11th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
On 2017-12-11, Jim Lesurf wrote:
wrote:

If they *do* dump BBC 4 from 'Freeview' then I suspect they may then
try to say, "you can get it via the internet"... which also may not go
down well in some of the remoter places in Scotland.

Some of the 'remoter places in Scotland' are recipients of highly
subsidised ultrafast broadband infrastructure provision.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/openre...nities-2270120

And some are not. Also, having it 'available' doesn't mean it won't cost
the user.

The last time I enquired (in the pub) on Jura, they had better internet
access than I did in the Home Counties.

Another benefit of having a whisky distillery next door.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England