Radio I Player vs Podcasts?

Old December 1st 17, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Radio I Player vs Podcasts?

I don't know if this also happens on TV but recently say in the last 6
months or so when listening to certain radio programs, on R4 mainly either
live or on I player, you hearer, for an extended version of this interview,
download the podcast of this program.
If they consider a longer version good enough, why not simply broadcast it
and make the programme longer? There already lots of repeats on R4 and that
would seem to be mostly pointless if you can get the content on the I Player
but now you have the added complexity of having to hear it all again on
the podcast to find the extra they did not put in the programme.
Also it seems over the Christmas period BBC are going to bring back loads
of old programmes like the David Attenborough stuff and East Enders
classics Morecombe and wise and two Ronnies Christmas shows just for I
player viewers. Does this in fact mean that the live offerings are going to
be pretty dire this year I wonder?

Old December 1st 17, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 01/12/2017 09:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know if this also happens on TV but recently say in the last 6
months or so when listening to certain radio programs, on R4 mainly either
live or on I player, you hearer, for an extended version of this interview,
download the podcast of this program.
If they consider a longer version good enough, why not simply broadcast it
and make the programme longer? There already lots of repeats on R4 and that
would seem to be mostly pointless if you can get the content on the I Player
but now you have the added complexity of having to hear it all again on
the podcast to find the extra they did not put in the programme.

What's the matter with podcasts? You can download them automatically and
listen to them whenever you want to without having to record them. Also,
the extended parts are usually stuff for enthusiasts only, like the bits
at the end of In Our Time or the intro and outro parts of Click.

--
Max Demian
Old December 1st 17, 12:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:59:51 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]
dire this year I wonder? Brian

What annoys me is the offer to watch more about a TV programme by going
online, such as the extension to the Blitz programme last night. Again,
if it's worth watching, then put it on the TV, I don't use my PC as a TV
set, that's what the TV is for. And only the TV set is in the living
room.

--
Davey.
Old December 1st 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 01/12/2017 in message Davey wrote:

What annoys me is the offer to watch more about a TV programme by going
online, such as the extension to the Blitz programme last night. Again,
if it's worth watching, then put it on the TV, I don't use my PC as a TV
set, that's what the TV is for. And only the TV set is in the living
room.

I have five bits of kit in/on the hi fi cabinet and they are ALL connected
to the Internet. If your TV is newish you may find it is capable of going
online to pick up the extras for you.

In the meantime I understand that Georgia Toffolo frequently appears on
I'm A Celebrity in a skimpy bikini but it's not on the version I seem to
be getting :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
Old December 1st 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On 1 Dec 2017 12:49:30 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

I have five bits of kit in/on the hi fi cabinet and they are ALL
connected to the Internet. If your TV is newish you may find it is
capable of going online to pick up the extras for you.

Of the items in my living room, only the Humax is connectable. And I
still believe that if it originated as part of a TV programme, it
should be shown as part of that programme, not available only via the
internet. I have no internet, nor connectable viewing devices, devices,
in my bedroom, but I do have a TV set there.
Many folks here have no computer, let alone an interest in the internet.

--
Davey.
Old December 1st 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No they are extended interviews in Inside Science for example.
Also is this not what I said? It seems odd to me to have two versions of
the same show.

o.uk...

Old December 1st 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

So they are doing it. I suppose this is just an extension of the bbc 3
thing, where its all on line and to my mind now mostly infantile garbage.

"Davey" wrote in message
news

Old December 1st 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Unfortunately it is the same miscomprehension that pervades most
organisations. everybody is on line. Obviously if you are not on line you
won't be reading this, but nonetheless I have a lot of friends who are
either not on line or only use it for shopping or emails, end of story.

The problem is that in fact if you are not connected you are invisible so
do not exist at all.

"Davey" wrote in message
news

Old December 2nd 17, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit
More News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly
as the content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast
first is the shorter one.

Rod.

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 17:48:01 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

No they are extended interviews in Inside Science for example.
Also is this not what I said? It seems odd to me to have two versions of
the same show.

news:[email protected] co.uk...

Old December 2nd 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/12/2017 07:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit
More News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly
as the content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast
first is the shorter one.

I hate that (extended versions of programmes) too. It would better if
the extra programme just included new stuff not included in the first. I
also dislike it when the final programme (or two) of a series consists
mainly of repeated material from the rest of the series, like Mock the Week.

--
Max Demian