Radio I Player vs Podcasts?

Old December 2nd 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default Radio I Player vs Podcasts?

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 14:10:24 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 02/12/2017 07:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit More
News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly as the
content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast first is
the shorter one.

I hate that (extended versions of programmes) too. It would better if
the extra programme just included new stuff not included in the first. I
also dislike it when the final programme (or two) of a series consists
mainly of repeated material from the rest of the series, like Mock the
Week.

For me, it's the opposite. I much prefer the extended 45 minute versions
over the half hour versions. Editing a 2 or 3 hour studio recording down
to a mere half hour, on the evidence of the extended versions, highlights
the (sometime) excessive amounts of "throwing the baby out with the bath
water" effect of condensing such sessions so aggressively to shoehorn
them into a half hour slot.

It would be so much better imo, if series like QI, HIGN4U and Live at
the Apollo were only aired in their longer, less expurgated 45 minute
versions, even if only to remove some of the mystery out of the first
two's scoring results.

I do question the worth of the final two "VG" episodes of QI (they don't
do XL versions) which would seem better suited as "Series Tasters" rather
than as end of series compilations. The final compilation episode of
HIGN4U seems to work better as a fun packed reminder of the whole series
as do the MTW final episodes, blessed as they are, with a modicum of
previously unseen 'footage'.

If the Beeb ever felt the need to cut down the air time given to
broadcasting these series, they'd be much better off imo, dropping the
half hour versions altogether in order to preserve the extended versions.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 2nd 17, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/12/2017 14:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/12/2017 07:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit
More News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly
as the content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast
first is the shorter one.

I hate that (extended versions of programmes) too. It would better if
the extra programme just included new stuff not included in the first. I
also dislike it when the final programme (or two) of a series consists
mainly of repeated material from the rest of the series, like Mock the Week.

Mock the Week isn't as bad as some. At least it includes stuff not
previously aired alongside stuff already broadcast. Some of the other
end-of-series programmes show only stuff seen before.

Old December 2nd 17, 10:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/12/2017 17:52, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

OK but show the "extended" version first, when it's topical.

--
Max Demian
Old December 2nd 17, 10:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/12/2017 18:53, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 02/12/2017 14:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/12/2017 07:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit
More News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly
as the content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast
first is the shorter one.

I hate that (extended versions of programmes) too. It would better if
the extra programme just included new stuff not included in the first. I
also dislike it when the final programme (or two) of a series consists
mainly of repeated material from the rest of the series, like Mock the
Week.

Mock the Week isn't as bad as some.* At least it includes stuff not
previously aired alongside stuff already broadcast.

That's worse, as you have to watch the stuff already shown to see the
extras.

--
Max Demian
Old December 3rd 17, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 22:49:12 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

====snip====

OK but show the "extended" version first, when it's topical.

That was my point! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 3rd 17, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 18:53:49 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

On 02/12/2017 14:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/12/2017 07:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:
They do this with "Have I Got News for You", and "Have I Got a Bit
More News for you". I agree it's pointless and annoying, particularly
as the content of this show is topical and the version they broadcast
first is the shorter one.

I hate that (extended versions of programmes) too. It would better if
the extra programme just included new stuff not included in the first.
I also dislike it when the final programme (or two) of a series
consists mainly of repeated material from the rest of the series, like
Mock the Week.

Mock the Week isn't as bad as some. At least it includes stuff not
previously aired alongside stuff already broadcast. Some of the other
end-of-series programmes show only stuff seen before.

Which point I also made in regard of the extra two "VG" episodes used to
pad out the 16 episode series of QI into an 18 episode affair. I only
bother to record the 30 minute episodes as "Safety Copies" should the
Beeb find some excuse to withhold any of the XL episodes.

I move the spurious "VG" episodes into the "QI XL" folder once all 16 XL
episode are 'safely in the can' allowing me to delete all the remaining
16 30 minute episodes and its folder to save the space that would
otherwise be taken up by unwanted duplications.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 3rd 17, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 22:50:08 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

[...]

I guess that rather depends upon the individual viewer. Since I'm not
possessed of an eidetic memory, I rather appreciate the reprised
sections, most of which are, imo worth being repeated, if only to retain
context for 'the previously unseen bits'.

I can imagine that a minority of viewers 'blessed' with an eidetic
memory might well find such repetition a little tiresome and unnecessary.
Unfortunately, the programme makers can't simultaneously cater for both
types of viewer, pragmatically choosing to satisfy the majority of their
viewing public and leaving the 'blessed' to deal with their 'curse' as
just another one of life's irritations.

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 3rd 17, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 03/12/2017 17:29, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

It isn't a matter of having a perfect memory: it's just that it's
annoying to see the same trivial thing again. ("I've seen that bit!" "I
know what happens next!") Just as bad is the way they show snippets of
the programme to come at the beginning.

--
Max Demian
Old December 4th 17, 04:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Anyway, I listened to the Now Show this week, as I usually do, on
headphones whilst walking the dogs. I normaqlly find it irritating but
this week I just couldn't stand it so after the first half I walked in
silence. It's so biased towards the left.

Old December 4th 17, 04:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 03/12/2017 17:09, Johnny B Good wrote:

Which point I also made in regard of the extra two "VG" episodes used to
pad out the 16 episode series of QI into an 18 episode affair. I only
bother to record the 30 minute episodes as "Safety Copies" should the
Beeb find some excuse to withhold any of the XL episodes.

I move the spurious "VG" episodes into the "QI XL" folder once all 16 XL
episode are 'safely in the can' allowing me to delete all the remaining
16 30 minute episodes and its folder to save the space that would
otherwise be taken up by unwanted duplications.

Why don't you decorate the house or do a bit of gardening? Or read the
paper? Or go out for a nice lunch, then watch ITV all afternoon?