A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Sky q and freesat



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 28th 17, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Sky q and freesat

Sky are changing everyone to Skyq and this should be done by 5 years or so. If a customer stops subscribing the Skyq box must be returned so a customer wont be able to put his SkyHD box back in as LNB is wideband - unless a hybrid LNB was fitted. In any case once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.

Or am I missing something...
  #2  
Old November 28th 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 448
Default Sky q and freesat

sintv wrote:

once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD
transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a
Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.
Or am I missing something...


I don't think there are "Q" transponders and "HD" transponders, it's
just that a Q LNB/Box doesn't need to switch between four combinations
of high/low band and horz/vert polarisation.

The LNB has one output for the whole horz band and another for the whole
vert band.
  #3  
Old November 28th 17, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 548
Default Sky q and freesat

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 18:45:25 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
sintv wrote:

once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD
transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a
Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.
Or am I missing something...


I don't think there are "Q" transponders and "HD" transponders, it's
just that a Q LNB/Box doesn't need to switch between four combinations
of high/low band and horz/vert polarisation.

The LNB has one output for the whole horz band and another for the whole
vert band.


Indeed - it is a sort of lock in.

Quite soon they will use fibre optic in the mass market and this does all four blocks in one go.
  #5  
Old November 28th 17, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 448
Default Sky q and freesat

Brian Gaff wrote:

So does this in fact mean then that one can now get such lnbs


You can get the two output sky Q LNBs on eBay, and also six output ones,
which have the wideband horz and vert outputs, plus quad universal
outputs which require the voltage/tone switching.

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.

and is there anything out there box wise that can use them?

I've not heard of domestic wideband boxes other than sky's, there are
distribution systems that use them and apparently pro receivers.
  #7  
Old December 9th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,594
Default Sky q and freesat

On 28/11/2017 20:51, Andy Burns wrote:

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.


I've just taken an analyser round to our lad's brand new flat, to test
his UHF and D-Sat outlets. All fine, H and V, Hi and Lo etc available
from both sets of D-Sat outlets, but the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5k3g0jlj1...27.25.jpg?dl=0

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #8  
Old December 9th 17, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,230
Default Sky q and freesat

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 16:30:25 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 28/11/2017 20:51, Andy Burns wrote:

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.


I've just taken an analyser round to our lad's brand new flat, to test
his UHF and D-Sat outlets. All fine, H and V, Hi and Lo etc available
from both sets of D-Sat outlets, but the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

Four cables in a single outer sheath, perhaps:

https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/...nbstripped.jpg

From:
https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellitecable.htm


--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #9  
Old December 9th 17, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 448
Default Sky q and freesat

Mark Carver wrote:

the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!


There are LNBs (for dist systems) that "stack" the whole Hi-H, Lo-H,
Hi-V, Lo-V band onto a single fibre

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product_detail.php?code=F926013&product=gi-fibreirs-wholeband-lnb&sm=4

Then after distribution over fobre you get boxes that split it out again
to look like a quad/quattro output per flat


  #10  
Old December 10th 17, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,594
Default Sky q and freesat

On 09/12/2017 20:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!


There are LNBs (for dist systems) that "stack" the whole Hi-H, Lo-H,
Hi-V, Lo-V band onto a single fibre

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product_detail.php?code=F926013&product=gi-fibreirs-wholeband-lnb&sm=4


Then after distribution over fobre you get boxes that split it out again
to look like a quad/quattro output per flat


Yes, someone else has also come up with the same thing

https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/optical_lnb.htm

That's it I think. Coo. What a pad, he's also got FTTP internet, gubbins
already in place, and happy lights are on. BT Engineer coming
a week Monday to commission (I'll be there, like a praying mantis, ready
to pounce !)


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.