2018 Q1 700 MHz Clearance details

Old November 24th 17, 07:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default 2018 Q1 700 MHz Clearance details

On 24/11/2017 19:23, Max Demian wrote:
On 24/11/2017 16:26, Mark Carver wrote:
On 24/11/2017 16:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

COM 7 will move from UHF Ch 33 to Ch 55,
COM 8 will move to UHF Ch 35 to Ch 56

I wonder how Group A aerials will cope with those?

It's going to be very interesting ! The first time any TV service
from CP has been transmitted outside of Band IV, and millions
of Group A aerials 'looking' at it.

The saving grace might be that COM 7 and 8 have tiny audiences

BBC Four HD, and other HD channels.

Yep. I read somewhere buried in the Ofcom site, that COM7/8's most
popular service is BBC 4 HD, with an audience share of 0.75%

--
Mark
Old November 24th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/11/2017 18:11, charles wrote:

Course it's real. Are you saying Shakespeare made stuff up?

"The Tempest" seesms a bit unlikely and his history of Macbeth doesn't
quite agree with other peoples' ideas.

False news started a long time ago. Chaucer, Bede, the Roman historians,
they all had agendas.

Old November 24th 17, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/11/2017 18:30, Mark Carver wrote:

Still got your Hannington aerial up, COM 7/8 move to 55/56 there in
April, so a possibility to use that via a diplexer ?

CCI from CP?

Old November 24th 17, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/11/2017 19:25, Mark Carver wrote:

Yep. I read somewhere buried in the Ofcom site, that COM7/8's most
popular service is BBC 4 HD, with an audience share of 0.75%

But no doubt a vociferous minority.

Old November 24th 17, 07:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/11/2017 19:35, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/11/2017 18:30, Mark Carver wrote:

Still got your Hannington aerial up, COM 7/8 move to 55/56 there in
April, so a possibility to use that via a diplexer ?

CCI from CP?

Well, as by 2020 all thirty of the COM7/8 sites will be operating on ch
55 and 56, an interesting question !

--
Mark
Old November 24th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/11/2017 19:33, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/11/2017 18:11, charles wrote:

Course it's real. Are you saying Shakespeare made stuff up?

"The Tempest" seesms a bit unlikely and his history of Macbeth doesn't
quite agree with other peoples' ideas.

False news started a long time ago. Chaucer, Bede, the Roman historians,
they all had agendas.

Bill

There again Shakespeare wrote some good stuff.

Farting is a pleasure
It gives the body ease
It airs and scents the bedclothes
And drives away the fleas

Old November 24th 17, 09:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Mark Carver wrote:

COM 7 will move from UHF Ch 33 to Ch 55,
COM 8 will move to UHF Ch 35 to Ch 56

I wonder how Group A aerials will cope with those?

It's going to be very interesting ! The first time any TV service
from CP has been transmitted outside of Band IV, and millions
of Group A aerials 'looking' at it.

The saving grace might be that COM 7 and 8 have tiny audiences

The info for Crystal Palace does say that a Group T aerial will be needed
after the changeover - I presume T is wideband similar to W. But I agree,
with a group A aerial you're not going to get much from UHF 55 and 56.

I saw the same thing with Bilsdale. My wife's house had an old narrowband
aerial for analogue transmissions and when I moved up to join her in 2011
just before we got married, a lot of digital channels (one or more
multiplexes) weren't detected. We got a wideband aerial fitted and suddenly
there was a dramatic increase in channels. And then DSO occurred which moved
things around, so I imagine that even fewer channels would have been
receivable with an old aerial.

I bet aerial fitters (Bill's southern counterparts) will be coining it in
with all the new aerials that will be required.

Old November 24th 17, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Mark Carver wrote:

COM 7 will move from UHF Ch 33 to Ch 55,
COM 8 will move to UHF Ch 35 to Ch 56

I wonder how Group A aerials will cope with those?

It's going to be very interesting ! The first time any TV service
from CP has been transmitted outside of Band IV, and millions
of Group A aerials 'looking' at it.

The saving grace might be that COM 7 and 8 have tiny audiences

BBC Four HD, and other HD channels.

Yep. I read somewhere buried in the Ofcom site, that COM7/8's most popular
service is BBC 4 HD, with an audience share of 0.75%

I was expecting that when BBC Three stopped transmitting on Freeview there
might have been some jiggling of channels to put BBC Four HD onto the same
mux as the BBC's other HD channels.

I feel very sorry for people who live in areas that get Freeview Lite and
only get PSB1, PSB2 and PSB3 from the little relays. I'm very glad that I
live in range of a main transmitter - and when we move we'll probably see
Emley Moor rather than Bilsdale so we'll still get all 8 multiplexes
(probably out of range of the local mux with This is Leeds, though that's
probably no sad loss!).

As a matter of interest, when Emley Moor mast is having all the work done on
it, is it intended that the temporary replacement will provide roughly the
same coverage, or will it be reduced power (*) and therefore reduced range.

(*) That phrase "reduced power" reminds me of all those Trade Test
Transmissions in the 1970s with arcane details about transmitters around the
countries, and the liberal use of phrases like "Winter Hill will be
operating on reduced power" or "Pontop Pike will not be transmitting on
Thursday". At the time, these were just names to be that didn't mean much to
me as a child. Nowadays there's Google for details of where all these
strange-sounding places are.

Old November 24th 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 24/11/2017 19:33, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/11/2017 18:11, charles wrote:

Course it's real. Are you saying Shakespeare made stuff up?

"The Tempest" seesms a bit unlikely and his history of Macbeth doesn't
quite agree with other peoples' ideas.

False news started a long time ago. Chaucer, Bede, the Roman
historians, they all had agendas.
Bill

There again Shakespeare wrote some good stuff.

Farting is a pleasure
It gives the body ease
It airs and scents the bedclothes
And drives away the fleas

Bill

Farting is a pleasure
It gives the bowels ease
It clears the head and warms the bed
And suffocates the fleas.
--
Ian
Old November 25th 17, 12:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 19:51:43 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

Well, as by 2020 all thirty of the COM7/8 sites will be operating on ch
55 and 56, an interesting question !

Aren't they all going to be moved there 'temporarily' and then shut down?
I thought it was about 2020...