My5 awful to use

Old November 22nd 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default My5 awful to use

Yup but inaccessible and often with no ad at all as the software was not
written to take it into account. Been there got the t shirt.

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 21/11/17 12:06, Clive Page wrote:
We missed an episode of a series on Channel 5 so last night tried to use
the "catch up" service called My5. It was just awful.

It took a lot of hassle to get it started at all (accepting 3rd party
cookies, disabling ad-blocking, etc).

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again. Each time it started with a set of
5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several times.
Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in two cases
actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her sentence, who then
completed the sentence at the end of the adverts. In the end we gave up.
No programme is worth all that bother.

4oD, My5, Dave and the BBC iPlayer work perfectly on YouView, NowTV and
various other streaming boxes and variants of mobile phones and tablets,
all which can be connected to proper size television screens.

The weak link is doing it on a computer operating system, all of them.

A basic disk-less BT/TalkTalk YouView thingy can be found on eBay for
about 20, or for peanuts at a car boot sale.

--
Adrian C

Old November 22nd 17, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 21/11/2017 20:19, Johnny B Good wrote:

Those "Catch Up" websites are merely another revenue stream as far as
all those commercial broadcasters are concerned. Once you've sampled just
one of these internet "Catch Up" services, your sample will be 'as good
as it gets' (like ocean waves, once you've seen one, you've seen them
all).

Yes but my point was that these catch up services could be a revenue stream but personally I won't ever bother to try to watch again, so their ad revenue is lost. To put my question another way, why don't they implement them competently so that potential customers are not put off for ever?

--
Clive Page
Old November 22nd 17, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 22/11/2017 09:55, Huge wrote:

And there's a
reasonable argument that Internet advertising doesn't work in the first
place;

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...at-all/372704/

It was interesting to see that while I was reading that article an
advert popped up at the bottom of my screen.

A bit of background: My home network uses an ethernet switch to connect
equipment in a different room to my modem and main computer. That way,
I run a single cable and hang a few "smart" things and a NAS off it.

The switch was working on Sunday, and wasn't working Monday morning, and
I wanted to replace it that day. So I checked stock in all the local
possibilities (PC World, Argos, Maplins etc) rather than any of the mail
order options, and went to my chosen shop to buy it.

The advert that popped up was for the very thing I had been searching
for, and it came from Argos. I had checked Argos as a possibility, and
the nearest outlet with stock was nearly 40 miles away, but I could
order it online and collect it from my local store the next day. That
ruled them out because I wanted it now.

So that wasted advert was in the category of "I was going to buy it
anyway and did check your stock but you didn't have any when I wanted one".

Old November 22nd 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Huge
wrote:

Because advertisers don't think like you and I. It's like web advert
blockers. Those who run them are irritated by adverts, so those adverts
probably have the opposite effect to that desired, actually making
people think "I'm not buying *that*". Advertisers think "I *must* show
my ****ty advert for my crappy product to people. They're desperate to
see the advert and they *will* buy my ****." Hence ad blocker blockers.
Which, in my case, merely makes me think "Oh, well, not going there
again."

Private Eye now regularly reports on the self-delusional ways the 'ad biz'
sells 'views' of ads as if that showed they had a positive result from the
POV of the vendor. No clue that any impact may not be as ther admen claim,
or is vastly inflated. The admen make their money from promoting admen. :-)

....big fleas have little fleas. The snag is that we end up finding that our
blood gets sucked by them all, one way or another.

Old November 22nd 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 22/11/17 09:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yup but inaccessible and often with no ad at all as the software was not
written to take it into account. Been there got the t shirt.

For YouView, accessibility Software has been written.

It's just you that doesn't like their chosen implementation of the
necessary external expensive controlling devices. Fair enough.

https://support.youview.com/youview-...ility-features

--
Adrian C
Old November 22nd 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:03:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I think his point is that the general attitude of the catch up service web
sites actually encourages this. How can you be a thief if you are watching
the same film as has been on free to air TV?

You wouldn't be a thief anyway, even if the film hadn't been
broadcast. The definition of theft is taking something with the
intention of permanently depriving the owner of it. Watching a film
does not have this effect. It may be legally naughty in some way, but
it's not theft.

Old November 22nd 17, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

I think his point is that the general attitude of the catch up service web
sites actually encourages this. How can you be a thief if you are watching
the same film as has been on free to air TV?

You wouldn't be a thief anyway, even if the film hadn't been
broadcast. The definition of theft is taking something with the
intention of permanently depriving the owner of it. Watching a film
does not have this effect. It may be legally naughty in some way, but
it's not theft.

Can't we sue the arses off these people for illegal English:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...opyright_Theft

--
Max Demian
Old November 23rd 17, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 21/11/2017 12:06, Clive Page wrote:
We missed an episode of a series on Channel 5 so last night tried to use
the "catch up" service called My5.* It was just awful.

It took a lot of hassle to get it started at all (accepting 3rd party
cookies, disabling ad-blocking, etc).

When we paused and resumed a couple of times it insisted on starting at
the beginning of the programme again.* Each time it started with a set
of 5 adverts that could not be skipped so we've seen them all several
times.* Worst of all there were adverts in the middle of the action, in
two cases actually interrupting a presenter in the middle of her
sentence, who then completed the sentence at the end of the adverts.* In
the end we gave up.* No programme is worth all that bother.

The various Television Acts used to regulate the placing of ad breaks so
that they had to be at a natural break in the programme.* Perhaps these
have been replaced by less restrictive rules, or maybe they don't apply
at all to on-line viewing.* Does anyone know?

So - has anyone else used My5?* If so it is always as bad as that, or is
there any way of watching a programme with fewer interruptions.

It depends.

We have access to My5 via the smartTV (direct from the web), the Amazon
Firestick or a Humax Youview machine. This can only be watched on a
live-streaming basis and each has the unskippable adverts that you
describe (so do the ITV and C5 apps).

But the catch-up TV service on Sky+HD includes a segment called just
"Channel 5" and operates in the same way as all the others on the Sky
platform: you download the required programme (easily indexed via a
system of menus) to the box's HD and watch it at your leisure, scooting
through the ads if you want to.

Old November 23rd 17, 11:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 23/11/2017 23:11, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Sorry - that last bit shold have read "C4 apps".

But the catch-up TV service on Sky+HD includes a segment called just
"Channel 5" and operates in the same way as all the others on the Sky
platform: you download the required programme (easily indexed via a
system of menus) to the box's HD and watch it at your leisure, scooting
through the ads if you want to.

I wonder whether Freesat allows the same system, or is it something you
get as part of the Sky sub?