Analogue Video senders still in use

Old November 11th 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Analogue Video senders still in use

On 11/11/2017 17:31, Graham. wrote:

So what's the difference in principle between a video sender, and a
UHF video modulator, especially when combined with an amplifier such
as you will find in a head-end, other than what the label says on the
front?

There's no difference. In my stockroom is a device that will accept five
AV inputs and will then generate 1W of RF on each of five analogue
channels. I also have DVB T2 modulators and their accompanying power
amplifiers.

I'm a crim.

Old November 11th 17, 06:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 11/11/2017 09:37, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/11/2017 17:00, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/11/2017 12:47, NY wrote:

Another thought has occurred to be: I wonder if CCTV cameras will
ever have RF output and a DVB-T encoder in place of a PAL modulator,

Yes, been around a few years now. My mother-in-law moved into a
McCarthy and Stone building in 2013, and there are the external
entrance CCTV cameras available on a quad-split display on a DVB-T
mux. If you run an autoscan the channel appears on LCN 500, though
I've moved it on her tellies to LCN 0

We favour LCN 99 because it's just two clicks down from 101.

It's been yonks since I set it up. I'm sure LCN 0 can't be selected
using the P +/- method, only by punching the 0 button on the remote,
because I also moved BBC 1 HD to LCN 1, and BBC 1 SD to 999, so it's
a simple toggle to go to the Beeb local news and back to HD again,
although she only watches Meridian ITV, and the HD version is the Kent,
not Thames Valley version, but she doesn't care just so long as Fred
Dinenage is on it (which he is)

--
Mark
Old November 11th 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 11/11/2017 12:34, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 10/11/2017 22:40, Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:28:56 +0000, Max Demian
coalesced the vapors of human experience into

Is it an offence? What about VHF/FM and UHF transmitters for wireless
headphones? Or are you only referring to video?

Yes, it's covered by specific legislation
forbidding "having in one’s custody or control"
*http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/722/made

It's a little odd that they refer specifically to video, as you can
put anything on a carrier. And it only refers to 470—854 MHz: what
about 863 MHz that my Thomson wireless phones use? Do they say "audio
only" for that band?

I'm still surprised that 'possession' of a specific device is an
offence. I guess the legislation was 'shooting from the hip' - rushed in
to deal with what was perceived to be serious and growing menace.
There's always a danger that such precise wording provides loopholes
which allow other equipment to remain legal.

What about people who already "possessed" one? I don't remember a highly
publicised amnesty when we were urged to take the contraband down the
police station.

--
Max Demian
Old November 11th 17, 11:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/11/2017 18:35, Mark Carver wrote:

We favour LCN 99 because it's just two clicks down from 101.

It's been yonks since I set it up. I'm sure LCN 0 can't be selected
using the P +/- method, only by punching the 0 button on the remote,
because I also moved BBC 1 HD to LCN 1, and BBC 1 SD to 999, so it's
a simple toggle to go to the Beeb local news and back to HD again,
although she only watches Meridian ITV, and the HD version is the Kent,
not Thames Valley version, but she doesn't care just so long as Fred
Dinenage is on it (which he is)

In general we don't rearrange channels because when the tellys are
changed (think hotel, prison, etc) there's confusion caused.

Old November 12th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:

I'm still surprised that 'possession' of a specific device is an
offence. I guess the legislation was 'shooting from the hip' - rushed in
to deal with what was perceived to be serious and growing menace.

I'm not sure about a serious and growing menace ...

Wasn't it brought in as a side effect of Channel 5 getting a licence
to broadcast on analogue?

At the time, all the UHF modulators (videos, computers) operating
around Channel E36 needed to be retuned and moved (because Channel 5
were using E35 and E37 and didn't want to cause OR get interference).

An army of trained people came out to do it, for the less competent,
or you just sorted it yourself.

However, that didn't address the other uses of that "spare" bit of
spectrum, the dodgy videosenders, which were already technically
illegal to use -- broadcasting in a licensed band, but tolerated
unless interference was reported.

Rather than retuning a load of dubiously designed transmitters, they
just made it an offence to buy, sell, own, use, import, distribute.

Problem solved. In theory

There was no amnesty offered for people to hand them in, or get
cash back.
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old Today, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:24:31 +0000, Ian Jackson
coalesced the vapors of human
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

In message , Jeff Gaines
writes
On 11/11/2017 in message
Roderick Stewart wrote:

I do like octpodes though, it has a certain ring...

So do I, but you rarely see more than one at a time...

It should survive though, it has legs!

Then there's "data" - is it singular or plural?

Plural but I have only ever heard scientists and pretentious posh
people use "datum".

"Datum" is Latin for "given" *as in "that which is (or has been) given".
It's the past participle of the verb "dare" (to give). And, of course,
the plural is "data".

These days, we often use "datum" to mean a reference level or a starting
point. "Data" is used as a collective noun meaning "a load of
information or measurements" However, purists and pretentious posh
clever-clogs insist that "data" refers to raw, unprocessed measurements
- and as it is plural, they say "data are".

One thing is certain - and that is that an ancient Roman brought by
Tardis to the 21st century would be totally unable to relate to some of
the Latin (and Latin-sounding) words we use today.

I have occasionly seen the word "datum" printed next to the mark at
the limit of a radio's tuning pointer in the days of string and
pulleys.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old Today, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Graham." wrote in message
One thing is certain - and that is that an ancient Roman brought by
Tardis to the 21st century would be totally unable to relate to some of
the Latin (and Latin-sounding) words we use today.

Likewise a lot of the phrases that English has borrowed from French are
unknown to French speakers in the context that we use them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossa... ly_in_English

I'm sure there are phrases that other languages have borrowed from English
and adapted into a meaning that is unknown in English speaking countries.