Analogue Video senders still in use

Old November 10th 17, 10:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Analogue Video senders still in use

On 10/11/2017 19:34, John Hall wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 10/11/2017 15:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've just realised just why I like Usenet and email lists and hate
forums or
is that Fori?

Fora (second declension neuter).

From Latin lessons over fifty years ago, I think it's actually third
declension neuter. Wasn't first declension feminine, with -a endings,
and second masculine, with -us endings? But I could easily be wrong.
ISTR that there were four or even five declensions in all, but I don't
recall what the others were.

That's what I thought, but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension disagrees; I expect the
numbering has changed since we were at school.

My Concise Oxford Dictionary doesn't specify the plural form of "forum",
which would suggest that it's "forums" rather than "fora", i.e. that the
plural has been "Anglified".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/forum suggests fora as an alternative
plural to forums, and I've certainly heard fora used.

--
Max Demian
Old November 10th 17, 10:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:28:56 +0000, Max Demian
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 10/11/2017 19:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
I know its an offence, but that really was never enforced and hence they
were all over the place.

Is it an offence? What about VHF/FM and UHF transmitters for wireless
headphones? Or are you only referring to video?

Yes, it's covered by specific legislation
forbidding "having in ones custody or control"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/722/made
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 11th 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Graham.
writes

I'm pretty sure *possession* of a band IV/V transmitter (sender) was
made a specific offence.

I don't think that mere "possession" of any transmitting (or receiving)
equipment has ever been an offence.

--
Ian
Old November 11th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Graham.
writes
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:28:56 +0000, Max Demian
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 10/11/2017 19:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
I know its an offence, but that really was never enforced and hence they
were all over the place.

Is it an offence? What about VHF/FM and UHF transmitters for wireless
headphones? Or are you only referring to video?

Yes, it's covered by specific legislation
forbidding "having in one’s custody or control"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/722/made

In which case, I stand corrected!
--
Ian
Old November 11th 17, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 10/11/2017 in message John Hall
wrote:

In message , NY
writes
I would follow the rule that we speak English in the UK and if we steal
words from other languages we reserve the right to apply our own grammar
and rules - eg add an S to make plural. Using authentic Latin or German
plurals on forum and autobahn sounds rather pretentious - I'd go forums
and autobahns rather than fora and autobahnen (or rather Autobahnen since
the Germans capitalise nouns). The worst is octopus which in the original
Greek would be octopodes - now that really does sound daft.

Yes, I agree that we should be guided by the sound. So forums rather than
fora, but loci rather than locuses.

But be guided by the original language. There was only one Forum so ne
need for a plural and a virus was anything that made you ill so again no
plural.

I do like octpodes though, it has a certain ring...

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
Old November 11th 17, 09:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/11/2017 12:41, NY wrote:

I presume if you wanted to watch CCTV you'd need to combine its RF
output with that from the aerial, and then the TV would use its analogue
tuner for CCTV and its digital decoder for broadcast TV, on the same UHF
band.

Yes but nowadays DTT modulators are practicable. This means that we can
distribute a 9 or 16 picture matrix at HD, which looks really good.

Old November 11th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/11/2017 17:00, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/11/2017 12:47, NY wrote:

Another thought has occurred to be: I wonder if CCTV cameras will ever
have RF output and a DVB-T encoder in place of a PAL modulator,

Yes, been around a few years now. My mother-in-law moved into a McCarthy
and Stone building in 2013, and there are the external entrance CCTV
cameras available on a quad-split display on a DVB-T mux. If you run an
autoscan the channel appears on LCN 500, though I've moved it on her
tellies to LCN 0

We favour LCN 99 because it's just two clicks down from 101.

Old November 11th 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/11/2017 17:23, NY wrote:

The whole system was a bit dodgy because they didn't distribute the
off-air channels on the UHF channels that they were broadcast on from
the transmitters but instead mapped them to other channels and had to
increase the level to avoid interference between general off-air signal
and re-mapped cable distributed signal.

It was a real pain trying to find a UHF channel that was clear of signal
(either off-air or remapped cable) to set my VCR's output - I had an
older TV that only had RF input and no SCART input.

Those systems were always very messy. There was one round here that had
inverted images of some signals on random channels. I don't mean the
lower sideband was there as it would be from a cheap analogue modulator;
I mean what looked like a normal signal was there on a channel but back
to front, audio below the video. Something beating with the channel
somewhere I guess. And there was always a lot of general hash right
across the band. Sometimes you'd find the FM band on the cable, but
often it was all distorted with birdies in the background.

It was all a long long time ago.

Old November 11th 17, 10:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 11 Nov 2017 08:48:24 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

I would follow the rule that we speak English in the UK and if we steal
words from other languages we reserve the right to apply our own grammar
and rules - eg add an S to make plural. Using authentic Latin or German
plurals on forum and autobahn sounds rather pretentious - I'd go forums
and autobahns rather than fora and autobahnen (or rather Autobahnen since
the Germans capitalise nouns). The worst is octopus which in the original
Greek would be octopodes - now that really does sound daft.

Yes, I agree that we should be guided by the sound. So forums rather than
fora, but loci rather than locuses.

But be guided by the original language. There was only one Forum so ne
need for a plural and a virus was anything that made you ill so again no
plural.

I do like octpodes though, it has a certain ring...

So do I, but you rarely see more than one at a time...

Then there's "data" - is it singular or plural?

Old November 11th 17, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Rod.

it's the plural of "datum"