Analogue Video senders still in use

Old November 10th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Default Analogue Video senders still in use

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 08:55:43 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
coalesced the vapors of human experience
into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I was just poodling around the uhf tv band on my scanner the other day when
I heard the unmistakable sound of analogue tv and fm sound. It was some
foreign language film, sounded polish or something similar. At first I
though it was real DX, but I think even Eastern Europe has now gone digital,
so I monitored the sound and it eventually sort of changed to a UK
channel, so I guess it was a Video sender of some type. It was above most of
the main UHF channels though do not recall the frequency.
I'd have thought that as we got more muxs and 4 and 5 g stuff it would
become useless, never mind finding a tv still with an analogue tuner. Kind
of makes one wonder how many of these things are out there. Quite strong
here but I guess it could have been just across the road. Not keen enough to
wire up a directional aerial and portable set to go looking, besides
probably get arrested.
Brian

I'm pretty sure *possession* of a band IV/V transmitter (sender) was
made a specific offence. They probably make good 4G jammers too (so
they're not all bad ;-) )

There was a time when my mother could see the films that her neighbour
was watching, no "sender" as such was in use, it was just RF leakage
from the VHS machines modulator into the aerial, and the close
proximity of my mums aerial.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 10th 17, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/11/2017 12:47, NY wrote:

Another thought has occurred to be: I wonder if CCTV cameras will ever
have RF output and a DVB-T encoder in place of a PAL modulator,

Yes, been around a few years now. My mother-in-law moved into a McCarthy
and Stone building in 2013, and there are the external entrance CCTV
cameras available on a quad-split display on a DVB-T mux. If you run an
autoscan the channel appears on LCN 500, though I've moved it on her
tellies to LCN 0

--
Mark
Old November 10th 17, 05:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Graham." wrote in message
I'm pretty sure *possession* of a band IV/V transmitter (sender) was
made a specific offence. They probably make good 4G jammers too (so
they're not all bad ;-) )

There was a time when my mother could see the films that her neighbour
was watching, no "sender" as such was in use, it was just RF leakage
from the VHS machines modulator into the aerial, and the close
proximity of my mums aerial.

I remember having a lot of problems with interference on my TV in Bracknell.
At the time, Bracknell had a no-external-aerials policy and provided an
aerial feed to every house by underground cable - they were certainly still
doing it when my house was built in the mid 80s. For a subscription they
would also supply you with a converter box (Jerrold, IIRC) which gave you
access to additional channels than the standard BBC1, BB2, ITV (Meridian),
ITV (Thames/LWT), Ch4 and Ch5. I wonder if those were distributed on VHF and
mapped to UHF by the converter.

It turned out that one of my neighbours had a converter box that had become
faulty and it was broadcasting its output (ie whatever subscription channel
it happened to be set to) upstream and through the various distribution
amplifiers, masking the RF output of everyone else's converters and also
producing harmonics that caused interference with broadcast TV on whatever
RF channels they mapped those to.

The whole system was a bit dodgy because they didn't distribute the off-air
channels on the UHF channels that they were broadcast on from the
transmitters but instead mapped them to other channels and had to increase
the level to avoid interference between general off-air signal and re-mapped
cable distributed signal.

It was a real pain trying to find a UHF channel that was clear of signal
(either off-air or remapped cable) to set my VCR's output - I had an older
TV that only had RF input and no SCART input.

Old November 10th 17, 07:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 10/11/2017 15:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've just realised just why I like Usenet and email lists and hate forums or
is that Fori?

Fora (second declension neuter).

--
Max Demian
Old November 10th 17, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 10/11/2017 19:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
I know its an offence, but that really was never enforced and hence they
were all over the place.

Is it an offence? What about VHF/FM and UHF transmitters for wireless
headphones? Or are you only referring to video?

--
Max Demian
Old November 10th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 10/11/2017 15:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've just realised just why I like Usenet and email lists and hate forums or
is that Fori?

Fora (second declension neuter).

From Latin lessons over fifty years ago, I think it's actually third
declension neuter. Wasn't first declension feminine, with -a endings,
and second masculine, with -us endings? But I could easily be wrong.
ISTR that there were four or even five declensions in all, but I don't
recall what the others were.

My Concise Oxford Dictionary doesn't specify the plural form of "forum",
which would suggest that it's "forums" rather than "fora", i.e. that the
plural has been "Anglified".
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.
Old November 10th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"John Hall" wrote in message
In message , Max Demian
writes
On 10/11/2017 15:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've just realised just why I like Usenet and email lists and hate
forums or
is that Fori?

Fora (second declension neuter).

From Latin lessons over fifty years ago, I think it's actually third
declension neuter. Wasn't first declension feminine, with -a endings, and
second masculine, with -us endings? But I could easily be wrong. ISTR that
there were four or even five declensions in all, but I don't recall what
the others were.

My Concise Oxford Dictionary doesn't specify the plural form of "forum",
which would suggest that it's "forums" rather than "fora", i.e. that the
plural has been "Anglified".

I would follow the rule that we speak English in the UK and if we steal
words from other languages we reserve the right to apply our own grammar and
rules - eg add an S to make plural. Using authentic Latin or German plurals
on forum and autobahn sounds rather pretentious - I'd go forums and
autobahns rather than fora and autobahnen (or rather Autobahnen since the
Germans capitalise nouns). The worst is octopus which in the original Greek
would be octopodes - now that really does sound daft.

Old November 10th 17, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , NY
writes
I would follow the rule that we speak English in the UK and if we steal
words from other languages we reserve the right to apply our own
grammar and rules - eg add an S to make plural. Using authentic Latin
or German plurals on forum and autobahn sounds rather pretentious - I'd
go forums and autobahns rather than fora and autobahnen (or rather
Autobahnen since the Germans capitalise nouns). The worst is octopus
which in the original Greek would be octopodes - now that really does
sound daft.

Yes, I agree that we should be guided by the sound. So forums rather
than fora, but loci rather than locuses.