Retune Day 30 November

Old November 7th 17, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

Default Retune Day 30 November

On 07/11/2017 10:07, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 17:34:21 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

It is, don't you think a bit of an odd piece of logic totell people they can
get it more widely when the station at present cannot be seen to read the
message in the first place?
Brian

Not really.
We have watched Talking Pictures since it became available on Freeview
as we already had the equipment capable of receiving it.
Some of its output is strangely addictive, one of the main
interests for us are small shorts of documentary like programmes that
they show depicting long gone scenes or industry like a car production
line in the 1930's.
It is the scenery and background that is fascinating and that applies
to some of the older films as well , towns where the only tall
structures are smoking mill chimneys, telephone poles festooned with
numerous cross arms and hundreds of wires, somewhere smoke from a
train is almost always passing,some of can remember when the landscape
looked like that. And how dirty and unpleasant it was for some people
as well.
I appreciate you will not be able to do that as no audio description
can carry that information.
Having mentioned the channel to my octogenarian Mother she expressed
an interest in viewing it for those reasons but her TV was not
suitable being a non HD set.
The announcement has meant that I have been able to inform her that
soon she will be able to without upgrading any equipment .
There will be other people who will be in a similar position who can
do the same with friends and family , that is who the announcement
will be aimed at.

G.Harman

+1.

A year or so back, they played out an old short film (c. 00:30) called
"Calling All Cars", made in 1953 for the Dover Harbour Board. The basic
plot was that a pair of likely lads (one played by Cardew Robinson)
bought an old car and went on holiday in France via Dover because they'd
overheard a coupole of attractive women announce that they were doing
the same. Dover Eastern Docks was a sight to see in 1953, I can tell you.

In today's atmosphere, it'd be denounced as stalking. But one scene was
accompanied by a library recording which used to be the theme tune to
ABC TV's Sunday "Family Hour" back in the fifties.
Old November 8th 17, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Though I'm not impressed with Human Jungle

The stories are all pretty dull.* God know how it get such a high score
on IMDB

tim

I remember it from Sunday nights on ABC Weekend TV. I was always waiting
for Corder to use that incredibly-cool tape recorder hidden in his desk
drawer.

Me too. Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus!

Then there was The Naked City, That always seemed to be a risqué
title.

i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 8th 17, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Graham.
writes
snip
i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD

I remember seeing, and enjoying, those when they were first broadcast.
I'd started reading the Eagle a couple of years earlier, and the "Dan
Dare" strip had got me hooked on science fiction.
--
John Hall "George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.
Old November 8th 17, 11:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 08/11/2017 18:30, Graham. wrote:

Though I'm not impressed with Human Jungle
The stories are all pretty dull.Â* God know how it get such a high score
on IMDB

I remember it from Sunday nights on ABC Weekend TV. I was always waiting
for Corder to use that incredibly-cool tape recorder hidden in his desk
drawer.

Me too. Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus!

Then there was The Naked City, That always seemed to be a risqué
title.

IIRC, "The Naked City" was a week-night show in the north (meaning it
was networked or taken by Granada, rather than ABC).

i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD

I remember seeing those at the time, but I have watched them on DVD
recently. Disappointed that "Target Luna" (the first in the series,
because it was actually a quadrilogy) had not survived.
Old November 9th 17, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , John Hall
wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes snip
i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD

I remember seeing, and enjoying, those when they were first broadcast.
I'd started reading the Eagle a couple of years earlier, and the "Dan
Dare" strip had got me hooked on science fiction.

I also watched the Pathfinders series on DVD some time ago, and can confirm
that the Eagle society still exists. Do a search for "Eagle Times", for
example. :-)

Old November 9th 17, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:49:50 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

In article , John Hall
wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes snip
i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD

I remember seeing, and enjoying, those when they were first broadcast.
I'd started reading the Eagle a couple of years earlier, and the "Dan
Dare" strip had got me hooked on science fiction.

I also watched the Pathfinders series on DVD some time ago, and can confirm
that the Eagle society still exists. Do a search for "Eagle Times", for
example. :-)

Jim

The production team used a neat trick to excuse all the
inconsistencies that inevitably occur when you are forced to use
earthbound studios at STP & 1G !
From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Luna

The seventh episode of Pathfinders to Venus (The Valley of Monsters)
was used in an academic study of children's attitudes to television
viewing. The experiments included showing several on-screen mistakes
which were explained at the end of the episode by onscreen-rolling
captions:

The mistakes in this episode which you may have noticed are not
accidental. They are part of a research project into children's
perceptions which the Department of Education of Cambridge University
is carrying out in co-operation with the Drama Department of A.B.C.
Television.

The study was organised by the Department of Education at the
University of Cambridge. The results suggested that children could
forgive minor errors and effects as long as the story was compelling.
Sydney Newman later commented "The most important thing we learnt is
that if anyone thinks a young audience can be fooled or won sloppily
or 'on the cheap' he is sadly mistaken". He also described his
audiences as "discerning, intelligent and capable to handle new and
innovative subject matter"[3]

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 9th 17, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Jim Lesurf
writes
In article , John Hall
wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes snip
i'm just working my way through the ABC trilogy, Pathfinders in Space/
to Venus/ to Mars, on DVD

I remember seeing, and enjoying, those when they were first broadcast.
I'd started reading the Eagle a couple of years earlier, and the "Dan
Dare" strip had got me hooked on science fiction.

I also watched the Pathfinders series on DVD some time ago, and can confirm
that the Eagle society still exists. Do a search for "Eagle Times", for
example. :-)

Thanks.