Croydon

Old November 5th 17, 02:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Croydon

On 04/11/2017 18:50, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
There's no problem equipping a house for satellite reception and
recording in every location required.

Perhaps, but putting pairs of satellite coaxes into several rooms is
not as cheap or as simple as a Labgear aerial distributor and single
coaxes, or even internal TV aerials.

The new Sky Q Triax dSCR multiswitches allow multiple boxes to share a
single dish and be fed with single coax, but are quite expensive.

Angus

A dish, LNB, and multiswitch could be cheaper than a gigantic aerial,
and will provide far more reliable reception. It's no big deal to run
CT100 shotgun to every outlet.

Believe me I wish this weren't true. There was a lot of money to be made
from big-ass aerial jobs. They're a thing of the past now.

Old November 20th 17, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 04/11/2017 13:58, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems
Freeview users report?

Practicality, I have TV sets in four rooms in the house, but satellite
leads (eight) in only one.

But technology is moving on, Sky Q Mini boxes can be used wirelessly
around the house to watch live TV or recordings.

I guess the freesat/freeview manufacturers will eventually catch up
with boxes approaching the 12 tuners that Sky Q Silver includes to
record six shows and watch four more live around the house, all off a
single dish.

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for inpout
into a DVD-recorder. The inability for the user to make permanent copies
(which had been with us since the days of Philips N1500) was a
deal-breaker for me.

Old November 20th 17, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

JNugent wrote:

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD)

I saw that the chap upgrading my neighbour today took away their old
boxes (HD ones IIRC) in a bin bag, and I gather the Q kit is only "lent"
to you for as long as you subscribe, I don't think he installed a
wideband plus quad LNB ... all ways to tie you in I suppose.
Old November 20th 17, 06:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite and audio converters, from 15 on Amazon.
But read the reviews carefully, they seem of variable quality. Plus an
HDMI splitter.

Few people need SCART or composite any longer, particular as Sky Q
streams to a limited range of tablets (but not mine).

Angus

Old November 20th 17, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 20/11/2017 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD)

I saw that the chap upgrading my neighbour today took away their old
boxes (HD ones IIRC) in a bin bag, and I gather the Q kit is only "lent"
to you for as long as you subscribe, I don't think he installed a
wideband plus quad LNB ... all ways to tie you in I suppose.

We were left the "old" Sky+HD box when we got Sky Q (the HD box was
nearly new anyway, it had been a replacement). I packed it away in an
airtight box in the garage.

And when we reverted, the engineer brought us a new box with a bigger
hard drive. The older box is still stored out in the garage in case it's
ever needed as another replacement. He left us the new "hub" thing,
though I'll probably change that for the older one (which also is out
in...).

Old November 20th 17, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 20/11/2017 18:19, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite and audio converters, from £15 on Amazon.
But read the reviews carefully, they seem of variable quality. Plus an
HDMI splitter.

I tried one (or the two units) - the signal was still scrambled and
unwatchable.

Old November 20th 17, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/11/2017 18:19, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite and audio converters, from £15 on Amazon.
But read the reviews carefully, they seem of variable quality.

The ones we use cost £54. They work perfectly. You can chose the output
mode you want but can only have one at a time.

Old November 20th 17, 11:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 20/11/2017 20:44, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2017 18:19, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite and audio converters, from £15 on Amazon.
But read the reviews carefully, they seem of variable quality.

The ones we use cost £54. They work perfectly. You can chose the output
mode you want but can only have one at a time.

Hmmm... would it work with a Fire Stick?

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 20/11/2017 23:15, JNugent wrote:
On 20/11/2017 20:44, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2017 18:19, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite and audio converters, from 15 on Amazon.
But read the reviews carefully, they seem of variable quality.

The ones we use cost 54. They work perfectly. You can chose the
output mode you want but can only have one at a time.

Hmmm... would it work with a Fire Stick?

No idea, sorry.

Bill

Unlikely.
http://bit.ly/2AjSJFV