Croydon

Old November 4th 17, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Croydon

Ok lets ask, what ones in particular?

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 04/11/2017 13:29, Martin wrote:

Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems
Freeview users
report?

It's because of all the problems Freesat has that Freeview doesn't.

Old November 4th 17, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/11/2017 10:16, NY wrote:

Five had to try and shoehorn their way in and hope that they caused and
were susceptible to as little interference as possible. Nowadays, with
the greater noise-immunity of digital, it would have been easy, but
analogue shows up any ghosting or co-channel interference.

We will see about 'the greater noise-immunity of digital' when muxes 7
and 8 are moved and will use just two channels nationally.

Old November 4th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/11/2017 13:29, Martin wrote:

Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems Freeview users
report?

Because they think they will have to pay Sky.

Old November 4th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/11/2017 13:58, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems
Freeview users report?

Practicality,

There's no problem equipping a house for satellite reception and
recording in every location required.

Old November 4th 17, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems
Freeview users report?

Practicality, I have TV sets in four rooms in the house, but satellite
leads (eight) in only one.

But technology is moving on, Sky Q Mini boxes can be used wirelessly
around the house to watch live TV or recordings.

I guess the freesat/freeview manufacturers will eventually catch up
with boxes approaching the 12 tuners that Sky Q Silver includes to
record six shows and watch four more live around the house, all off a
single dish.

Angus

Old November 4th 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 04/11/2017 15:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ok lets ask, what ones in particular?
Brian

Needing direct line of sight to the satellite is one.
Old November 4th 17, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 03/11/2017 15:32, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
That wasn't the problem, the problem was rain fade on their
uplink site at Winchester, it knocked out the feed nationally.

There must have been heavy rain in both Winchester and Croydon, because
I lost satellite reception at the same time. Think I still had a 1.6m
dish back then.

Perhaps there was. The loss of C5 in London did cause a kurfufle. I've
got a feeling originally the C5 uplinks were at Crawley Court (7 miles
west of Winchester, and Morn Hill (3 miles east). After that event one
or other was relocated to Croydon (which had always been a small uplink
site for the then NTL (now Arqiva) anyway.

--
Mark
Old November 4th 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes judging by what happened under just moderate Tropo conditions this last
week, I have severe doubts things will go on working reliably.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news

Old November 4th 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

There's no problem equipping a house for satellite reception and
recording in every location required.

Perhaps, but putting pairs of satellite coaxes into several rooms is
not as cheap or as simple as a Labgear aerial distributor and single
coaxes, or even internal TV aerials.

The new Sky Q Triax dSCR multiswitches allow multiple boxes to share a
single dish and be fed with single coax, but are quite expensive.

Angus

Old November 4th 17, 10:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 15:41:01 +0000, Norman Wells
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

On 04/11/2017 15:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ok lets ask, what ones in particular?
Brian

Needing direct line of sight to the satellite is one.

It's 22 deg up, thaterway

It's the terrestial TX at 0 deg elevation that I have trouble with.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%