MSF radio clocks.

Old October 30th 17, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default MSF radio clocks.

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 08:29:25 +0000
Norman Wells wrote:

On 30/10/2017 06:45, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Then there's a Sony digital camera that has wi-fi but needs its
clock setting manually, and apparently can only manage 12 hour
AM/PM.

There's bound to be something I've forgotten, but I expect I'll
round them all up eventually. Give me about 6 months...

You'll have to work faster! The clocks change in 5 months time and
you want to be ready for that.

He can just leave them alone, then they'll be right again...

--
Davey.
Old October 30th 17, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 22:03:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

The least reliable MSF clock did what it was supposed to when the clocks
went back - so reception conditions must be good ATM.

My only MSF clock behaved perfectly too, but the rest of my various
timepieces are a bit of a mixed bag.

The Aldi weather station, presumably DCF, still shows an hour ahead,
so maybe DST has to be switched manually. I'll deal with that one
later when I can find the instructiuons.

The TV receivers all picked up the right time, but the Roberts
internet radio didn't. If it hasn't been used for a while, it'll
correct a small discrepancy when first switched on, so clearly it's
capable of checking the time (from an ntp server?) but has to be told
manually whether DST is active or not.

The mobile phone picked up the right time, but the clock in the
landline phone is completely manual, just like an ordinary clock
that's just a clock and nothing but a clock.

I use NextPVR on a Windows 7 PC to record TV programmes via a DVB-T USB
device. I had scheduled a recording that was listed as 00:20 to 01:05 on
Digiguide and the on-air EPG that NextPVR uses. In fact the programme lasted
1 hour 45 minutes, so these times should have been interpreted as 00:20
(BST) to 01:05 (GMT) / 02:05 (BST).

And amazingly, everything worked perfectly. The PC's clock presumably
changed from 01:59:59 (BST) to 01:00:00 (GMT) - I wasn't awake to see it
happen.

This is better than the old days with a VCR when I had to try to work out
what stop time to set - I always found that my brain went into meltdown if I
tried to think it through "at 02:00 the clocks will go back to 01:00, so do
I add or subtract an hour from the times to make sure I get all the
programme recorded?".

Mobile phone was correct the following morning - I imagine they make the
same 01:59:59 (BST) to 01:00:00 (GMT) transition. Landline phone needs to be
changed manually, and there's no daylight savings yes/no flag so it means
actually tweaking the hours digit by one hour.

My car needs the clock adjusting manually, as for the landline phone. I was
expecting that my wife's car, which has satnav, might get a signal to change
the hour automatically, but it doesn't, but at least there is as daylight
savings yes/no flag so the minutes and seconds remain correct. I've not
checked it against my mobile phone or the pips on the radio to see if the
clock is accurate to the second - maybe the clock *is* synchronised to a
time source and the only thing missing is knowledge of when to change the
displayed time.

Correcting my chiming clock is always tedious. Putting the clock forwards by
one hour (eg 09:00 - 10:00) in the spring is easy - just a matter of
winding the hands forwards, going slowly while it chimes the half-hour and
the hour. Going backwards in the autumn is tedious because it either means
winding forwards 23 hours (boring!) or else stopping the clock (easy) and
then remembering to start it an hour later (I always forget so I have to
wind it forwards several hours to catch up!).

What do they do with big chiming clocks such as "Big Ben" (or whatever the
official name of the clock is) and church clocks, where they don't want to
stop the clock for an hour or to have spurious chimes other than on the hour
and quarter-hours? Obviously, in the case of Big Ben, I mean when BB is
actually running and not stopped for repairs. Do they tend to have a
mechanism for moving the hour hand and the associated chime counter, while
suppressing spurious chimes? I presume the clocks actually chime 01:00 twice
on two consecutive hours or else chime 01:00 followed by 03:00 on two
consecutive hours.

Old October 30th 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

[...]

My spare phone, not a smartphone, just an old fashioned dumbphone with
a physical keypad and a green screen, has a setting for automatic time
setting, but it seems to ignore it, so I have to set it manually.

The clock in the car can only be set forwards, so needed 23 presses of
the button for the hours, and a couple more for the minutes. My guess
is that these may be deliberately designed to run a little slow to
make minor corrections easier, because I normally have to advance the
minutes several times during the 6 months between DST changes.

The clock in my car is updated using the time from the radio using RDS
(Radio Data System).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old October 30th 17, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 30/10/2017 in message
Peter Duncanson wrote:

The clock in my car is updated using the time from the radio using RDS

The clock in my car is updated by me pressing/twiddling a knob! Can't
believe it doesn't update itself form DAB or GPS.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those
Old October 30th 17, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 30/10/2017 15:51, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 30/10/2017 in message
Peter Duncanson wrote:

The clock in my car is updated using the time from the radio using RDS

The clock in my car is updated by me pressing/twiddling a knob! Can't
believe it doesn't update itself form DAB or GPS.

My car radio 'keeps time' using GPS, but I still have to set the time
zone, and BST/GMT etc.

--
Mark
Old October 30th 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Monday, 30 October 2017 14:49:47 UTC, NY wrote:
What do they do with big chiming clocks such as "Big Ben" (or whatever the
official name of the clock is)

It's quite a process:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/livin...changeweekend/

"the clockmakers have 2000 other clocks throughout the Palace of Westminster"

I'm surprised they didn't get an impulse master clock system about 80 years ago.

Owain
Old October 30th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

wrote in message
On Monday, 30 October 2017 14:49:47 UTC, NY wrote:
What do they do with big chiming clocks such as "Big Ben" (or
whatever the
official name of the clock is)

It's quite a process:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/livin...changeweekend/

"the clockmakers have 2000 other clocks throughout the Palace of
Westminster"

I'm surprised they didn't get an impulse master clock system about
80 years ago.

Come on, that would be far too easy!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 30th 17, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

wrote:

The least reliable MSF clock did what it was supposed to when the clocks
went back - so reception conditions must be good ATM.

My only MSF clock behaved perfectly too, but the rest of my various
timepieces are a bit of a mixed bag.

The Aldi weather station, presumably DCF, still shows an hour ahead,
so maybe DST has to be switched manually. I'll deal with that one
later when I can find the instructiuons.

The Lidl clock I left in the garage didn't pick up, there's a CET-BST slide
switch on the back. That wasn't the problem and I had to set it manually
even though it was displaying the radio tower symbol.

Old October 30th 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 30/10/2017 06:45, Roderick Stewart wrote:

My main computer, booted first into Linux Mint, picked up the right
time, then when rebooted into Windows went back another hour. To fix
this I go into settings and switch "Set time automatically" to off,
and then on again, so it looks as though Windows doesn't check the
time very often, certainly not on bootup, and needs to be reminded.

I have a spare PC that normally runs Linux but has the option of booting
into XP. When I checked things on Sunday morning it was 3 minutes slow,
so it looks as though this system which I never turn off doesn't routinely
check the internet time but does know the dates to change the hour.

Have you tried nistime app? - AFAIK: its a US server, but it kept my PC
correct to UK time when I used to use it.

Old October 30th 17, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

news
Norman Wells wrote:

On 30/10/2017 06:45, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Then there's a Sony digital camera that has wi-fi but needs its
clock setting manually, and apparently can only manage 12 hour
AM/PM.

There's bound to be something I've forgotten, but I expect I'll
round them all up eventually. Give me about 6 months...

You'll have to work faster! The clocks change in 5 months time and
you want to be ready for that.

He can just leave them alone, then they'll be right again...

That's what I did with the clock in the bog.