How many types of screens are there?

Old October 28th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How many types of screens are there?

I was just wondering a person I know was asking me if I knew as almost every
telly in the shops right now claims their screen is the best. Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights some claim extra
pixels of another colour to make pictures look more real and all sorts of
other combinations. I suggested that get the one that looks the best for
your budget. Check things like viewing angle, blacks and perhaps blurring
on moving images etc.
I did wonder though whether any of the various systems has a longer life
than others or has hidden problems, we all recall the Plasma burn on and
loss of brightness over time but of course my only care is that it does not
act like a radio jammer!

Old October 28th 17, 12:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

we all recall the Plasma burn on and
loss of brightness over time but of course my only care is that it does not
act like a radio jammer!

This will be an interesting chat, Brian.

Whenever I am near Peter Jones with a few minutes to spare I wander round the display on the fourth floor. I am on my third plasma. The first cost me over five grand and a pal at the BBC R&D unit made me a converter to get vga into it from a Sky box. It was being sold as a piece of office AV kit and had terrible lag/blur problems but I was the first in my circle of friends to have 42" flat tele so why should I care? It weighed a ton and needed two people to mount it on the stand that Peter Ligertwood of Unicol designed and made for me. Our current/third plasma was bought in 2011 and is a different beast but still 42". It came with 3d capabilities but, as we all know, that soon died like a damp squib.

Do they really have burn and loss of brightness? Maybe if they are giving you a timetable in an airport 24 hours a day but I am not aware of either. After a session in P Jones I do wonder if my plasma is as sharp but having seen some HDTV on YouTube with my new Firestick I feel my six year old plasma is just as clear. IMHO most fuzzy pictures can be blamed on the rubbish bandwidth of the broadcasters!

Radio jammer? I have an FM transmitter attached to my PC and it pipes music round the apartment so I can listen to internet sources on any portable radio. I have an FM receiver within a couple of feet of the plasma and I have never felt there was/is a problem.

I would hate to turn this conversation into a my tele is better than yours battle but I thought I'd chuck in my experience of plasma as (without wishing to brag) I guess I have probably had a plasma as a tele for longer than most.

Tony
Old October 28th 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well I'm coming from some years ago, as I have not seen any screens for some
time obviously. but in the early days, they did go a bit burned in and also
variable brightness ie non linear. I expect they have fixed all that by now.
The problem is that I like to listen to short wave bands, and it is no
secret that modern equipment is poorly screened and emits nasty rubbish down
the mains.
The worst offender of all is the powerline adaptor for the internet. They
have small notches built in for ham bands but outside of this its more or
less complete ticking and burst noise from around 2 mhz to 30Mhz.
Then come switch mode power supplies whose design saturates the core of the
transformers creating nasty harmonics and wandering 50hz modulated carriers
wandering about the spectrum, then in the old days at least, Plasma screens
whose refresh rate also hade very sharp edged waveforms and the whole panel
was like an aerial that | like a whining hash sound.
I have also an old Buffalo router here for wired network and it has a lot
of rubbish coming out of it as well now. Maybe the psu capacitors are drying
out.

the net result is that even when I unplug my stuff there is so much rubbish
in the local area that getting any distant radio stations is not really
possible unless you move somewhere well away from mains or habitation. Also
keep clear of Windfarms as some people say they chuck out rubbish from their
monitoring system as well.

I can see it now. The aliens won't get near to earth as they cannot hear
their radios for almost half a light year away!

Old October 28th 17, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Fascinating Brian.

I won't comment on my short wave experiences as I don't want this thread to divert from your opener.

Certainly when I do my Peter Jones walk around I make a point of seeing how much the brightness drops off as I move from the centre line and up and down. The stand that Unicol made for us has a circular base and the bottom is a saucer. (Peter made a similar base for an upright piano belonging to someone who wanted to move it around his living room). That means it slides on carpet so we can easily turn it 180 degrees as we move from one end of the room to the other. None of the problems of a screen bolted to the wall.

But let's see what the others have to contribute.

Tony

Old October 28th 17, 02:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 28/10/17 10:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights

Unless you are talking large bill board system, LEDs are used to back
light LCDs, not as an alternative. What you mean by LCD is probably a
cold cathode fluorescent tube back lit LCD display.
Old October 28th 17, 02:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 28/10/2017 12:31, TonyGamble wrote:
[...]

the only real led sets are the oled ones.
the others simply use some leds as the light source for their lcd screens.
go oled or go home as they say.
Old October 28th 17, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/10/2017 14:12, David Woolley wrote:
On 28/10/17 10:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights

Unless you are talking large bill board system, LEDs are used to back
light LCDs, not as an alternative. What you mean by LCD is probably a
cold cathode fluorescent tube back lit LCD display.

oled sets use self illuminating pixels - hence their lovely contrast.
Old October 28th 17, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

the dog from that film you saw wrote:

the only real led sets are the oled ones.

Do sony really believe that being android based (as well as having their
name on it) makes a 55" OLED TV worth a grand more than all the other
brands?

Old October 28th 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 28/10/2017 14:16, the dog from that film you saw wrote:

the only real led sets are the oled ones.
the others simply use some leds as the light source for their lcd screens.
go oled or go home as they say.

Who says that? The only OLED device I have is a videorecorder whose
display has degenerated to a dim red.

--
Max Demian
Old October 28th 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

wolfgang sch wrote:

The "next big thing" to look out for might be OLED, where the screen
itself consists of tiny LED pixels, but at this stage, as far as I
know, it's not being used in your average television.

For 55" 4K TVs, the rough price point seems to be
£600 for LCD vs £1800 for OLED/QLED