How many types of screens are there?

Old October 28th 17, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Default How many types of screens are there?

On 28/10/2017 15:09, Andy Burns wrote:
the dog from that film you saw wrote:

the only real led sets are the oled ones.

Do sony really believe that being android based (as well as having their
name on it) makes a 55" OLED TV worth a grand more than all the other
brands?

Not all: look at Loewe

--
Robin

Old October 28th 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

So in other words its a flat strip light which ionises at the breakdown
voltage of the gas with a phosphor on the side that has the screen. As I
say, since these days I don't care about the picture, it matters not to me
personally, I was asking for somebody else. I wondered how fae we had moved
on. a couple of years ago another friend was saying how dynamic his Sharp
TV was, but I understand its reliability has not been great, so I guess that
part is pot luck to some extent.

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 28/10/17 10:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights

Unless you are talking large bill board system, LEDs are used to back
light LCDs, not as an alternative. What you mean by LCD is probably a cold
cathode fluorescent tube back lit LCD display.

Old October 28th 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No, that was my feeling also. Its very much at the moment back to every
company plugging their particular flavour of LCD.
I tell you one thing, Plasmas are blinki' heavy! They also consume a lot of
power.

"wolfgang sch" wrote in message
99 percent of all displays sold (television and computer) these days are
TFT-LCDs, and a tiny amount at the expensive end are plasma. As far as
I know plasma is on its way out, because LCD quality continues to
increase.

The ones labelled "LED" are also LCDs. The LED is just the backlight,
which all LCD screns need. Until recently most were lit by a special
type of fluorescent lamp, but since they are prone to failing, they've
been phased out and LED is what you want these days.

The "next big thing" to look out for might be OLED, where the screen
itself consists of tiny LED pixels, but at this stage, as far as I
know, it's not being used in your average television.

"Brian Gaff" wrote
in news
Some use leds, some use lcds some use different methods of back lights
some claim extra pixels of another colour to make pictures look more
real and all sorts of other combinations.

--
Klänge für Millionen überwinden die Distanzen

http://www.wschwanke.de/ http://www.fotos-aus-der-luft.de/
usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de

Old October 28th 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Do they have talkback from the Android system and if they do does it work
with the apps.

I don't know, I suspect it might take more tinkering than John Lewis
would be happy with on their display models, a bit of googling suggests yes.
Old October 28th 17, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Do they have talkback from the Android system

a bit of googling suggests yes.

Yes they do. Here's a video you can listen to, the crackling in the
background is from a video of a fireplace, but you can hear the
accessibility speaking as he controls it from the remote ...

https://youtu.be/Nnv8raphv28

Old October 28th 17, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

OK what is Qled?

Apparently a quantum dot LED, for any more details you'll have to ask Mr
Samsung.

Old October 28th 17, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 28/10/2017 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
So in other words its a flat strip light which ionises at the breakdown
voltage of the gas with a phosphor on the side that has the screen.

Actually cold cathode backlights consist of thin cylindrical strip
lights, perhaps one each side, or one at the bottom, or some other
arrangement depending on the size of the screen, with a complex diffuser
which ensures an even backlight.

For a truly flat backlight an electroluminescent display could be used,
which I believe is a solid state device. I don't know how often they are
used, but I recall seeing one demonstrated in the Science Museum in the
early 70s. It had a Philips logo on it.

--
Max Demian
Old October 28th 17, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Max Demian wrote:

For a truly flat backlight an electroluminescent display could be used

EL materials tend to have a pretty short "half life" i.e. they go dim
after a few years.