Terrible iPlayer response

Old October 25th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Terrible iPlayer response

Last night, I tried to watch Robot Wars on iPlayer using my Humax, but
kept getting a 'Sorry, there is something wrong' message. Whatever I
did, I could not make iPlayer work.
I then tried get-iplayer on the PC, and it downloaded the programme,
but at the speed of a lazy snail. I could almost count the bits being
transferred.

This morning, iPlayer is still useless. Like last night, it goes
through all the motions, Search, etc etc, but won't display any
programmes.

Is this just my connection, or are others finding this? I checked my
connection speed, and if anything it's better than normal this morning.

--
Davey.
Old October 25th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Davey wrote:

Whatever I did, I could not make iPlayer work.

Just tried it here, streaming robot wars in 720p, no problems, using 15%
of my bandwidth.

Old October 25th 17, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Davey,

Do a search on Humax on this forum.

We have talked about them a lot in the last two weeks.

I have to go out now. Do your research and come back. I will help you.

Tony

Old October 25th 17, 04:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No its them.
Have you read the many threads on this I player and streaming systems from
the bbc mess?
I've read it all over the place and it even affects radio as well.
There is something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer and the
sers or they are just so over burdonned they cannot cope any more.

news

Old October 25th 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Brian,

Why is it that the BBC programme I was watching on my Humax stopped and when I move to my Firestick it ran perfectly from start to end? Even jumping over the first ten minutes that I'd seen before without a buffering problem.

That does not seem like a BBC fault to me.

And when I returned to the Humax at the end it was still stuck in the same place. That does not sound like "something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer and the sers"

Tony

Old October 25th 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 25/10/17 16:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
No its them.
Have you read the many threads on this I player and streaming systems from
the bbc mess?
I've read it all over the place and it even affects radio as well.
There is something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer and the
sers or they are just so over burdonned they cannot cope any more.

The most complaints I've seen online about i-Player seem to be with a
Virgin connection.

Forget their advertised speed, what latency are you getting? Does that
vary through the day?

http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk

--
Adrian C
Old October 25th 17, 10:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Brian and Adrian,

What devices are you using to receive your iPlayer?

Are you trying the same signal with alternative devices?

If not how do you know it is the feed rather than the receiver?

Have you read my messages about swopping from Humax to Firestick?

Tony
Old October 26th 17, 12:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 19:41:17 +0100
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 25/10/17 16:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
No its them.
Have you read the many threads on this I player and streaming
systems from the bbc mess?
I've read it all over the place and it even affects radio as well.
There is something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer
and the sers or they are just so over burdonned they cannot cope
any more.

The most complaints I've seen online about i-Player seem to be with a
Virgin connection.

Forget their advertised speed, what latency are you getting? Does
that vary through the day?

http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk

Right now, the latency is said to be 19mS. Is that good or bad? I have
no idea if it's typical, but my download speed is consistently faster
now that it used to be. I am on ADSL.

--
Davey.
Old October 26th 17, 12:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 16:28:37 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

No its them.
Have you read the many threads on this I player and streaming
systems from the bbc mess?
I've read it all over the place and it even affects radio as well.
There is something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer
and the sers or they are just so over burdonned they cannot cope any
more.

Brian

I have noticed them in the Subject line, but since it has not affected
me, I have moved on. I don't have time to read every message posted if
I don't see any relevance, which until now, there wasn't.
I ususally (ok, always) use iPlayer if I want to watch a BBC programme
that I missed directly on the TV set, but I use get-iplayer to download
one to the PC.
Mostly I have seen Virgin mentioned, which I do not have. Until
yesterday, I never had any problem with iPlayer and the Humax.
I have seen, and contributed to, threads about transferring files
between the Humax and the PC. This is the first time that I have seen
this problem.

It looks as though getting a Firestick is the answer, but why? Why did
get-iplayer also suffer from a severely slow download last night?

--
Davey.
Old October 26th 17, 01:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

No its them.
Have you read the many threads on this I player and streaming
systems from the bbc mess?
I've read it all over the place and it even affects radio as well.
There is something seriously wrong somewhere between the customer
and the sers or they are just so over burdonned they cannot cope any
more.

Brian

Right now, it's working perfectly. Maybe late night/early morning is
the time to do this.

One question about the Firestick: Can you connect it to a wired
ethernet? I see loads of references to it and Wifi, and one vague
mention that it can connect to something called an Amazon Hub, or
similar name, whatever that is. I would prefer to use wired rather than
Wifi, if I got a Firestick.

--
Davey.