Terrible iPlayer response

Old October 26th 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Terrible iPlayer response

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 02:41:54 -0700 (PDT)
TonyGamble wrote:

Good to hear from you Mark.

I think you were around on this forum when I was experimenting
getting VGA into a plasma monitor from a Sky box so I could watch
television on it.

Googling this Humax internet problem took me to this thread where
they talk about the Humax feed coming via a special portal. I'm
probably on my third Humax by now - I used to be a TiVo user. I seem
to remember the internet services came a Humax portal. The guys in
that post think the portal is run by Freesat.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/on-de...nnection.7410/

If the Freesat internet portal is sub standard or gets overloaded it
could be precisely why the same channels (iPlayer, YouTube, etc) work
better with a Firestick. I have no idea where the Firestick gets its
data from but it is most unlikely to be from Freesat.

Any comments?

Tony

Now that provides a believable reason. The Portal going via some
different server, so systems other than Humax bypass any problems at
Humax. And it fits my own observations. Tuesday night must have been a
busy catch-up viewing evening.

After posting my earlier reply a few minutes ago, I was going to see
what, if anything, the hummy.tv forums had to say on the matter, but
found that I had been beaten to it.

I now feel that this is getting to the reasons for this. Luckily, it is
not very common that I need to use iPlayer, this is the first time that
I have had any problem with it, so if I need to use it in future, I
need to allow for some postponement of its use.

--
Davey.
Old October 26th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 26/10/17 00:38, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 19:41:17 +0100
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Forget their advertised speed, what latency are you getting? Does
that vary through the day?

http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk

Right now, the latency is said to be 19mS. Is that good or bad? I have
no idea if it's typical, but my download speed is consistently faster
now that it used to be. I am on ADSL.

Think that's typical for ADSL. Try it again at various times during the
day and see if you can correlate that with the dickiness of your iPlayer
behavior.

Wired? Phones filtered off at the main socket? Ring wire #3 knobbled?
Good modem line stats? Reliable line? Something local like a virus'ed
windows PC or an overactive online teenager sucking up bandwidth?

Perhaps you might be a good candidate for a SamKnows white box?
https://www.samknows.com/

FWIW, I'm on Plusnet FTTC (so not really a fair comparison) and get the
very rare iPlayer funny on various devices. Overall, I'd say 9/10 access
attempts are successful on the following ...

- Ubuntu Desktop
- Sony smart TV
- LG smart TV
- BT Youview PVR
- Roku 2
- Playstation 3
- Sky Now
- iPhone
- iPad
- Tesco Hudl

That's 10 devices here that receive the service (so many to choose!).
Some wired, some wireless. Latency around 7ms but that's FTTC.

I'd half expect Virgin latency to be all over the place, given how
congested some local networks are regularly reported as being. Postcode
lottery

--
Adrian C
Old October 26th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 26/10/17 12:55, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

- iPhone
- iPad
- Tesco Hudl

That's 10 devices here ...

Hmmm, I also have a dog. Hungry, bites....

--
Adrian C
Old October 26th 17, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

And, as you point out, Adrian, no Humax.

Ten devices. 9/10 success.

If only you had a Humax to tell us about.

Tony

Old October 26th 17, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Davey,

"And it fits my own observations. Tuesday night must have been a
busy catch-up viewing evening. "

And, as you will have noticed the newish Humax 'Guide' now flags up programs that are on catch up. A lot of people will be using it who did not bother before because it was harder to find.

If the Freesat portal (if it is they who host it) has not increased its capacity it could easily be struggling.

Does anyone know whether Amazon have their own portal for the Firestick?

Tony

Old October 26th 17, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Forget their advertised speed, what latency are you getting? Does
that vary through the day?

http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk

Right now, the latency is said to be 19mS. Is that good or bad? I
have no idea if it's typical, but my download speed is consistently
faster now that it used to be. I am on ADSL.

Think that's typical for ADSL. Try it again at various times during
the day and see if you can correlate that with the dickiness of your
iPlayer behavior.

The results I have posted do not correlate at all, if anything, they
are opposite.
And since the iPlayer is not dicky today, how do I make attempts at
correlation?

Wired? Phones filtered off at the main socket? Ring wire #3 knobbled?
Good modem line stats? Reliable line? Something local like a virus'ed
windows PC or an overactive online teenager sucking up bandwidth?

Wired, yes. Direct wiring from Master socket to modem. Reliable line.
Haven't checked line stat's for a while, but have had no reason to
bother. No windows PC, Linux only. Only adults in the house, one of whom
does not compute.

[...]

I have the one device that connects to iPlayer, and it's the Humax. I
use the PC (Ubuntu also) to find the URL of any programme I want to
download to the PC, and then use get-iplayer to grab it. Use of iPlayer
via the Humax is rare, certainly less than once per month. The recent
events as described are the first time I have ever had this problem
with it.

No iPhone, no iPad, no Hudl, etc etc. Even my mobile doesn't connect to
the internet. It's a 'phone.

--
Davey.

Old October 26th 17, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:06:29 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:

Have you read my messages about swopping from Humax to Firestick?

The word is *swapping*, not swopping! :-)

The OED gives both spellings.

It would. The OED must be infected by the multicultural political
correctness that's seeping into more and more places "where it don't
belong". The way it's going, they may as well call it the OD before it
ultimately becomes the OCD (Oxford Chinglish Dictionary).

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 26th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:21:32 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 01:46:55 +0100, Davey wrote:

One question about the Firestick: Can you connect it to a wired
ethernet? I see loads of references to it and Wifi, and one vague
mention that it can connect to something called an Amazon Hub, or
similar name, whatever that is. I would prefer to use wired rather than
Wifi, if I got a Firestick.

The older version of the Fire TV box has an ethernet port, which is what
I use. You may be able to get a refurbished or secondhand one.

There is apparently a new version of the Fire TV box, just released or
just about to be, which doesn't have ethernet (That's progress for you),
but they say there's an adaptor you can buy as an extra (That's even
more progress for you), which will enable you to use an ethernet
connection. It connects to the new Fire TV box via the USB port (because
it's the only one it now has), and I understand that this would also
enable it to connect to the Fire stick.

Unless they've given the cpu a lot more 'grunt', servicing the needs of
a USB port is going to be a drag on performance, especially if it's a non
Intel 86x compatible cpu.

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 26th 17, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 26/10/17 13:49, TonyGamble wrote:
And, as you point out, Adrian, no Humax.

Ten devices. 9/10 success.

If only you had a Humax to tell us about.

My BT Youview is made by Humax....

--
Adrian C
Old October 26th 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:37:24 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

The word is *swapping*, not swopping! :-)

The OED gives both spellings.

It would. The OED must be infected by the multicultural political
correctness that's seeping into more and more places "where it don't
belong". The way it's going, they may as well call it the OD before
it ultimately becomes the OCD (Oxford Chinglish Dictionary).

Or the OACD (Oxford American Chinglish Dictionary).

--
Davey.