Terrible iPlayer response

Old October 26th 17, 04:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default Terrible iPlayer response

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:33:41 -0700, TonyGamble wrote:

Brian and Adrian,

What devices are you using to receive your iPlayer?

Are you trying the same signal with alternative devices?

If not how do you know it is the feed rather than the receiver?

Have you read my messages about swopping from Humax to Firestick?

The word is *swapping*, not swopping! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 26th 17, 06:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

One question about the Firestick: Can you connect it to a wired
ethernet? I see loads of references to it and Wifi, and one vague
mention that it can connect to something called an Amazon Hub, or
similar name, whatever that is. I would prefer to use wired rather than
Wifi, if I got a Firestick.

--
Davey.

Yes. Amazon sell an ethernet adaptor.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethe...hernet+adaptor

It was due to be available yesterday but it now showing late November and it costs £13.99. If you google around you will see that other people have come up with third party solutions. They are about the same price and available if you don't want to wait.

We watched a sixty minute of a 2013 BBC catch prog last night using the Firestick and the BBC iPlayer software. There was not a hint of it struggling. We then went on to watch YouTube for about an hour (wall to wall Morecombe and Wise) and again it was flawless.

Yesterday lunchtime I watched the BBC news using my Samsung tablet in the kitchen and there was not a hint of a problem.

Both of those used WiFi. For curiosity, at some time in the morning, I turned on my Humax which is wired into the internet and it was not happy with the feed of either BBC or YouTube. But it is the same feed - so the problem must lie withing the Humax either in terms of hardware or software.

You must differentiate between the feed and the software used to collect and decode the feed. For example look at the 'settings' for YouTube on a Humax and the same thing on a Firestick. On the latter you have far more control options.

Tony

Old October 26th 17, 07:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 25/10/2017 12:47, Davey wrote:
Last night, I tried to watch Robot Wars on iPlayer using my Humax, but
kept getting a 'Sorry, there is something wrong' message. Whatever I
did, I could not make iPlayer work.
I then tried get-iplayer on the PC, and it downloaded the programme,
but at the speed of a lazy snail. I could almost count the bits being
transferred.

This morning, iPlayer is still useless. Like last night, it goes
through all the motions, Search, etc etc, but won't display any
programmes.

Is this just my connection, or are others finding this? I checked my
connection speed, and if anything it's better than normal this morning.

We watch Autumnwatch last night on iplayer via our Humax YouView box. It
did stop three times. Don't watch a great deal on iplayer (only when I
forget to set a recording !). Watch a fair amount of Netflix using a
different box, and all is fine.

--
Mark
Old October 26th 17, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 01:46:55 +0100, Davey
wrote:

One question about the Firestick: Can you connect it to a wired
ethernet? I see loads of references to it and Wifi, and one vague
mention that it can connect to something called an Amazon Hub, or
similar name, whatever that is. I would prefer to use wired rather than
Wifi, if I got a Firestick.

The older version of the Fire TV box has an ethernet port, which is
what I use. You may be able to get a refurbished or secondhand one.

There is apparently a new version of the Fire TV box, just released or
just about to be, which doesn't have ethernet (That's progress for
you), but they say there's an adaptor you can buy as an extra (That's
even more progress for you), which will enable you to use an ethernet
connection. It connects to the new Fire TV box via the USB port
(because it's the only one it now has), and I understand that this
would also enable it to connect to the Fire stick.

Old October 26th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Good to hear from you Mark.

I think you were around on this forum when I was experimenting getting VGA into a plasma monitor from a Sky box so I could watch television on it.

Googling this Humax internet problem took me to this thread where they talk about the Humax feed coming via a special portal. I'm probably on my third Humax by now - I used to be a TiVo user. I seem to remember the internet services came a Humax portal. The guys in that post think the portal is run by Freesat.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/on-de...nnection.7410/

If the Freesat internet portal is sub standard or gets overloaded it could be precisely why the same channels (iPlayer, YouTube, etc) work better with a Firestick. I have no idea where the Firestick gets its data from but it is most unlikely to be from Freesat.

Any comments?

Tony
Old October 26th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:

Have you read my messages about swopping from Humax to Firestick?

The word is *swapping*, not swopping! :-)

The OED gives both spellings.

-- Richard
Old October 26th 17, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 26/10/2017 04:54, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:33:41 -0700, TonyGamble wrote:
Brian and Adrian,

What devices are you using to receive your iPlayer?

Are you trying the same signal with alternative devices?

If not how do you know it is the feed rather than the receiver?

Have you read my messages about swopping from Humax to Firestick?

The word is *swapping*, not swopping! :-)

And it's **** not twot: but I think it's usually pronounced twot anyway
- isn't it?

--
Max Demian
Old October 26th 17, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

As I said above there are lots of ways of connecting a current FireStick to the internet.

Here is just one:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LMSZYGsK0

I priced that at around the same £13.99 and considered doing it. As my stick seems fine on WiFi I decided to wait until the Amazon branded one was available as my experience of their Firestick help line is quite impressive whereas if the YouTube alternative proved problematic I'd be on my own.

Tony

Old October 26th 17, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 22:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
TonyGamble wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I am not in the slightest hurry to get a Firestick, so I can
take my time. It looks as though, as with much nowadays, 'progress' has
resulted in less choice.
I see the adapter is now quoted as available Nov. 22. Oh for simple
versions of things, no 'voice', no Wifi, just connect between the
network and the TV and do the job, simply. Just as old-style STBs used
to be.

Last night, as I posted, iPlayer through the Humax was working fine.
This morning, I watched the Robot Wars programme that I could not see
before, and, like yours, there was no hint of any problem whatsoever.
There has been no change or update to the Humax, so that would indicate
that it must be something external. It could be my BB. But:

Yesterday morning, when it was not working properly, I was getting a
Download speed of about 11-12 Mbps, today iPlayer is working fine, and I
am getting about 8-9 Mbps. Latency is still 19 ms. I used to get about
6 Mbps, so things are looking up in these rural parts. (I could get
FTTC or FTTP, but I have no need of that).

--
Davey.

Old October 26th 17, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 07:42:10 +0100
Mark Carver wrote:

We watch Autumnwatch last night on iplayer via our Humax YouView box.
It did stop three times. Don't watch a great deal on iplayer (only
when I forget to set a recording !).

Exactly the same here. I missed Robot Wars on Sunday because there were
other programmes, on non-BBC channels, that SWMBO and I wanted to
record. Since Robot Wars was theoretically watchable at any time on
iPlayer, it was the poor man left out of the recording schedule.

--
Davey.