Copying files from Humax PVR

Old October 19th 17, 04:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Copying files from Humax PVR

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:13:02 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:42:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 04:34:46 -0500 Bob wrote:
The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through
Windows and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files
to and from PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if
that would work either??

I know this is late, but I just looked at my HDR-FOX T2 User's Manual,

A Manual - you have a Manual!! Damn - I should have thought of that...

and it gives the following information for USB storage devices:

Ext3: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
FAT: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
NTFS: Read (MP3, JPEG, XviD)

I always use a FAT32 drive if I ever need to transfer to USB.

Thanks Davey, a helpful reminder that I should always RTFM before asking
a dumb question.

Only an Ext3 device can cope with files larger than 4GB.

I tried to copy 1 hr. of HD to USB. FAT32 said 4GB max. so tried ext3 It
started to copy but, after a reasonable time, I extrapolated to the point
where oil, coal and gas would run out before it finished!
Still haven't figured out how to see the Hummy Foxsat HDR from the PC.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 19th 17, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

With my Freeview Humax, I followed the instructions for the CF and it
worked exactly as described.
Without the CF, I would have no idea.

--
Davey.
Old October 19th 17, 09:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:01:20 +0100, Davey wrote:

Only an Ext3 device can cope with files larger than 4GB.

I tried to copy 1 hr. of HD to USB. FAT32 said 4GB max. so tried ext3
It started to copy but, after a reasonable time, I extrapolated to
the point where oil, coal and gas would run out before it finished!
Still haven't figured out how to see the Hummy Foxsat HDR from the PC.

With my Freeview Humax, I followed the instructions for the CF and it
worked exactly as described.
Without the CF, I would have no idea.

Right - just one thing: what is the CF?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 20th 17, 05:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 21:41:24 +0100
PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:01:20 +0100, Davey wrote:

Only an Ext3 device can cope with files larger than 4GB.

I tried to copy 1 hr. of HD to USB. FAT32 said 4GB max. so tried
ext3 It started to copy but, after a reasonable time, I
extrapolated to the point where oil, coal and gas would run out
before it finished! Still haven't figured out how to see the Hummy
Foxsat HDR from the PC.

With my Freeview Humax, I followed the instructions for the CF and
it worked exactly as described.
Without the CF, I would have no idea.

Right - just one thing: what is the CF?

As described elsewhere in this thread:

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

--
Davey.
Old October 20th 17, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

PeterC wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:01:20 +0100, Davey wrote:

Only an Ext3 device can cope with files larger than 4GB.

I tried to copy 1 hr. of HD to USB. FAT32 said 4GB max. so tried
ext3 It started to copy but, after a reasonable time, I
extrapolated to the point where oil, coal and gas would run out
before it finished! Still haven't figured out how to see the Hummy
Foxsat HDR from the PC.

With my Freeview Humax, I followed the instructions for the CF and
it worked exactly as described.
Without the CF, I would have no idea.

Right - just one thing: what is the CF?

As described elsewhere in this thread:

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

OK, thanks. I used to have that on a couple of years ago but reverted to the
standard version. After that I ran in a Cat 5e cable (thw wireless is turned
off in the router - not much point in it for one device!).
I'll have another go. When I couldn't copy the HD file I wondered about
transferring it via the cable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 20th 17, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

PeterC wrote:

[...]

Summarising some of what has been said already, you need to have the CF
installed, to have the 'auto-unprotect' package working, and to then
record your HD program. Then, connect to the Humax via the network and
the CF, and you should be able to decrypt the programme, and then
transfer it to your PC. If it is already on there, but not decrypted,
you can probably transfer it to your PC, but it will be unplayable. You
could, however, delete it from the Humax, and restore it later, to the
same Humax, which should then be able to play it. I think. My head
hurts.

Good luck.

--
Davey.
Old October 21st 17, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

PeterC wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks for that. I'll try it when IGART. The latest version for Foxsat
is on a USB stick somewhere.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old November 3rd 17, 11:11 AM
Scoob72 Scoob72 is offline
Junior Member

Sorry, All, for joining the party very late here and please forgive my ignorance here -- my technical knowledge is clearly horrendously basic compared to most on here -- but would anybody be able to let me know whether I could extract HD files from a "Humax PVR-9300T"? I think I bought this perhaps 3-4 years ago -- it doesn't have a USB port, only an HDMI one. I have been wanting to remove files from it pretty much since I bought it to my Windows PC, but with encryption, et al., I'm not technical enough to know whether downloading a web-IF and also the suggested firmware, I could actually export recordings to my laptop?

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated, especially as I have had two other Humaxs "die" on me in the last couple of years (newer versions) and I have been unable to extract files from the dead hard drives... so getting files of an "alive" Humax would be massively rewarding.

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post