Copying files from Humax PVR

Old October 17th 17, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

Default Copying files from Humax PVR

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:11:59 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 17/10/2017 06:16, Yellow wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:04:14 +0100, Roger
wrote:

On 16/10/2017 13:15, Woody wrote:
You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

That's part of the story!

Programmes recorded in SD will indeed be decrypted when you copy them to
a USB drive. Programmes in HD won't. These require an extra step
(assuming that you're not using the custom firmware).

You need a utility called Foxy - see
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-...-released.240/

There are 4 files associated with each recording. One of these (.hmt)
needs to be modified by Foxy before being copied to a USB drive. This
causes the HD recording to be decrypted just like SD recordings.

That method is now out of date now and instead you can just install the
'auto-unprotect' package and it all gets sorted automatically.

It is indeed unnecessary if you are using the custom firmware but - as
far as I am aware - still works if you don't wish to muck about with the
firmware for any reason.

Fair enough, but I would still recommend the installation of the
firmware because it is really really good. :-)
Old October 18th 17, 12:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 22:05:34 +0100
Norman Wells wrote:

On 17/10/2017 19:28, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 17:54:34 +0100

It is exactly the same except you need to add the "auto-unprotect"
package to the custom software. This then automatically does
whatever it needs to do to the HD recording when has finished
being recorded.

I have that already installed, and am currently recording The One
Show on BBC 1 HD, so will play with this later. (It will be deleted
once it has served its purpose!).

It has already served its purpose. It has been broadcast and it has
filled up its allotted slot. It is useful for nothing else. Delete
it now and extend your life by its duration at no cost

I beat you to it by an hour or more. It's gone, somewhere, but nowhere
near me.

--
Davey.
Old October 18th 17, 12:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

[...]

To me, it is essential. I cannot imagine life without it!

--
Davey.
Old October 18th 17, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Just to be clear, I use the custom firmware myself - but was
commenting for the benefit of anyone who may not wish to do so.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 18th 17, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 04:34:46 -0500, Bob wrote:

The PVR is a Humax PVR Fox T2 and there are a number of programmes on it
that I wish to keep for posterity.

I tried to copy them to a Seagate USB drive but whilst it 'saw' the drive
it would not write the files to it as the format was 'not compatible'.

The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through Windows
and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files to and from
PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if that
would work either??

I used humaxrw. YMMV.

Old October 18th 17, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Bob wrote:

The PVR is a Humax PVR Fox T2 and there are a number of programmes on
it that I wish to keep for posterity.

I tried to copy them to a Seagate USB drive but whilst it 'saw' the
drive it would not write the files to it as the format was 'not
compatible'.

The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through
Windows and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files
to and from PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if
that would work either??

I know this is late, but I just looked at my HDR-FOX T2 User's Manual,
and it gives the following information for USB storage devices:

Ext3: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
FAT: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
NTFS: Read (MP3, JPEG, XviD)

I always use a FAT32 drive if I ever need to transfer to USB.

--
Davey.
Old October 19th 17, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:42:51 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 04:34:46 -0500 Bob wrote:
The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through
Windows and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files
to and from PVR?

I had wondered about formatting the USB drive as FAT but not sure if
that would work either??

I know this is late, but I just looked at my HDR-FOX T2 User's Manual,

A Manual - you have a Manual!! Damn - I should have thought of that...

and it gives the following information for USB storage devices:

Ext3: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
FAT: Read, Copy (Digital TV/Radio, MP3, JPEG, XviD)
NTFS: Read (MP3, JPEG, XviD)

I always use a FAT32 drive if I ever need to transfer to USB.

Thanks Davey, a helpful reminder that I should always RTFM before asking
a dumb question.
Old October 19th 17, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Only an Ext3 device can cope with files larger than 4GB.
--
Dave W

Old October 19th 17, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 19/10/2017 10:13, Dave W wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Actually =4GB to be exact. g

--
Max Demian
Old October 19th 17, 12:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 04:04:42 -0500
Bob wrote:

[...]

Since I installed the CF, I have rarely had to transfer to a USB stick,
as everything normally goes straight over the network t or from the PC
via FTP.

--
Davey.