Copying files from Humax PVR

Old October 16th 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Default Copying files from Humax PVR

"Bob" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:04:31 +0100, Yellow wrote:

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 08:02:55 -0500, Bob wrote:

Yellow: What is the customised software and utility which makes larger
USB drives writable please?

You get the custom software here -

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

Thank you - saved and to be considered!

Your Tubular Bells must have been in SD if it's not encrypted. The custom
software cannot decode encrypted files - it just stops HD recordings being
encrypted in the first place.
--
Dave W

Old October 16th 17, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 16/10/2017 13:15, Woody wrote:
You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

That's part of the story!

Programmes recorded in SD will indeed be decrypted when you copy them to
a USB drive. Programmes in HD won't. These require an extra step
(assuming that you're not using the custom firmware).

You need a utility called Foxy - see
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-...-released.240/

There are 4 files associated with each recording. One of these (.hmt)
needs to be modified by Foxy before being copied to a USB drive. This
causes the HD recording to be decrypted just like SD recordings.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 17th 17, 06:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:04:14 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 16/10/2017 13:15, Woody wrote:
You need a recording material - USB stick or HDD - formatted in FAT32.

The machine will decode the encryption in the process of exporting it
to your external media so it will play back via any suitable system
including a TV with USB input.

That's part of the story!

Programmes recorded in SD will indeed be decrypted when you copy them to
a USB drive. Programmes in HD won't. These require an extra step
(assuming that you're not using the custom firmware).

You need a utility called Foxy - see
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-...-released.240/

There are 4 files associated with each recording. One of these (.hmt)
needs to be modified by Foxy before being copied to a USB drive. This
causes the HD recording to be decrypted just like SD recordings.

That method is now out of date now and instead you can just install the
'auto-unprotect' package and it all gets sorted automatically.

I also have all new recording set to automatically de-encrypt when they
have been finished recording, which is a built-in feature of the custom
software.

I do this for two reasons. First, so I can then use the web interface to
copy files to the USB drive as the Humax does not automatically de-
encrypt files when you copy this way. And second, the actual file
transfer is then quicker.
Old October 17th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 06:43:02 -0500
Bob wrote:

OK so I had a play with a 1gb usb thumbdrive I had lying around which
is FAT formatted.

I copied one of the programmes (Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells if
you're interested g) to the thumbdrive via the usb port on the
Humax.

I checked it played back ok via the PVR, it did.

Next I tried it via my Linux PC. It showed 4 files and one of them
successfully plays back both video and audio tracks.

The act of downloading the programme via the usb port automatically
decrypted it, so the thumbdrive has the full set of 4 files which play
on any suitable device. The subtitles are included in this set.

I have my Humax networked to my PC, and if I wish to copy a programme
over to the PC, I first use the Custom Software to decrypt the
programme, and then copy it to the PC using an FTP protocol. I have
never tried this with an HD programme, so cannot comment on what needs
to be done to make this happen.

--
Davey.
Old October 17th 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

Bob wrote:

[...]

It is exactly the same except you need to add the "auto-unprotect"
package to the custom software. This then automatically does whatever it
needs to do to the HD recording when has finished being recorded.
Old October 17th 17, 07:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Bob wrote:

[...]

I have that already installed, and am currently recording The One Show
on BBC 1 HD, so will play with this later. (It will be deleted once it
has served its purpose!).

--
Davey.
Old October 17th 17, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Bob wrote:

[...]

Am copying the decrypted files (3 of them only) to the PC right now.

One other thing to add is to check any and all programmes copied to the
PC, by whichever means. Occasionally, a decrypted programme will not
play, for some unknown reason, and also sometimes programmes will be cut
short, possibly by scheduling conflicts. It's worth discovering these
things early, then you might have chance to re-record the programme.

And yes, the decrypted and copied HD recording of The One Show looks and
sounds ok on the PC. Now to delete it.

--
Davey.
Old October 17th 17, 10:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 17/10/2017 19:28, Davey wrote:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 17:54:34 +0100

It is exactly the same except you need to add the "auto-unprotect"
package to the custom software. This then automatically does whatever
it needs to do to the HD recording when has finished being recorded.

I have that already installed, and am currently recording The One Show
on BBC 1 HD, so will play with this later. (It will be deleted once it
has served its purpose!).

It has already served its purpose. It has been broadcast and it has
filled up its allotted slot. It is useful for nothing else. Delete it
now and extend your life by its duration at no cost

Old October 17th 17, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It is indeed unnecessary if you are using the custom firmware but - as
far as I am aware - still works if you don't wish to muck about with the
firmware for any reason.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 17th 17, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

Bob wrote:

[...]

Good advice and having lost stuff in the past, I now always check that
backed up programmes are what I expect and are viewable to the end on
the drive where I have transferred them.

And yes, the decrypted and copied HD recording of The One Show looks and
sounds ok on the PC. Now to delete it.

Good stuff. :-)