Bitrates

Old October 15th 17, 09:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

Default Bitrates

.... a thought from the other thread.

Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV
streams good enough to be watchable? What bitrate are they?

Andy
Old October 16th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I feel myself that the tendency for them to drop out is enough to make many
unlistenable myself.
if enough people actually complained about eh shortcomings on Freeview then
I'd imagine something would get done. We could about five useless channels
to start of with. I don't know how much revenue they get,but judging byt the
lack of viewers it is probably not that much.
Quest Red, CBS Drama
True Crime Blaze
and that is before we start looking at plus 1s and shopping channels all
doing a lot of the same things at different times.
I've never yet found anything worth watching on ITV 2 either.
My5 is now a complete waste of space.
Also after so many showings should we not have a ban of Come dine with me,
the many homes shows, and reruns of the big build.

news

Old October 16th 17, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Vir Campestris wrote:

Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV
streams good enough to be watchable?

Not really, the iPlayer BBC One live stream is half-HD resolution
960x540 so it's pretty "soft" when viewed full screen on a 2560x1600
monitor (and presumably not much better if only stretched to 1920x1080)

What bitrate are they?

1700kbps

by comparison, several iPlayer catchup streams used 1280x720 at 5166kbps
and, unsurprisingly, looked considerably better at full screen.

ITV? no idea ...
Old October 16th 17, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 15/10/2017 21:06, Vir Campestris wrote:
and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof

It doesn't have to go on the roof, it can go on the ground, after
travelling 23,000 or so miles, an extra 20 feet for the signal is
neither here nor there.

--
Mark
Old October 16th 17, 05:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/10/2017 12:35, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV
streams good enough to be watchable?

Not really, the iPlayer BBC One live stream is half-HD resolution
960x540 so it's pretty "soft" when viewed full screen on a 2560x1600
monitor (and presumably not much better if only stretched to 1920x1080)

What bitrate are they?

1700kbps

I usually get 720p at over 5000 kbps on most BBC programmes (with a 50
Mbps cable connection). But currently BBC1's "Pointless" is as yours.

--
Robin
Old October 16th 17, 05:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

What bitrate are they?

1700kbps

I usually get 720p at over 5000 kbps on most BBC programmes (with a 50
Mbps cable connection). But currently BBC1's "Pointless" is as yours.

I think the difference is live channels vs on-demand programmes.

Old October 16th 17, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof

It doesn't have to go on the roof, it can go on the ground, after
travelling 23,000 or so miles, an extra 20 feet for the signal is
neither here nor there.

But many people don't have any land that has line of sight to the
satellites.

-- Richard
Old October 16th 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/10/2017 19:05, Richard Tobin wrote:

But many people don't have any land that has line of sight to the
satellites.

-- Richard

Many?

Old October 16th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 16/10/2017 17:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

What bitrate are they?

1700kbps

I usually get 720p at over 5000 kbps on most BBC programmes (with a 50
Mbps cable connection).* But currently BBC1's "Pointless" is as yours.

I think the difference is live channels vs on-demand programmes.

Not on BBC2 and BBC News: both delivered 720p *live* while BBC1 didn't.
Same is true now - with BBC4 *live* also 720p.

--
Robin
Old October 16th 17, 09:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think the difference is live channels vs on-demand programmes.

Not on BBC2 and BBC News: both delivered 720p *live* while BBC1 didn't.
Same is true now - with BBC4 *live* also 720p.

I must admit, I checked several catch-up programmes, but only BBC1 as a
live channel, assuming they'd use their best rate for it ...