HDMI switcher needed

Old October 12th 17, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default HDMI switcher needed

I've had some helpful advice regarding Firesticks and the alternatives. Thank you.

I now need an HDMI switcher so I can alternate between one of the new Firesticks (being launched 25 Oct) and my Humax Freesat PVR.

I did have an HDMI switcher for the Humax and my Sony DVD player but abandoned it. The problem was that when I switched on my plasma it seemed to need what I'd best describe as a kick from the HDMI feed to know it was there. Most of the time I'm watching the Humax. When the Humax is fed direct to the plasma without the switcher the plasma recognizes it is there. With the switcher in the chain it seems not to.

My understanding at the time was that the plasma sends a signal back to the HDMI source - but it was not getting through when the switcher was in the circuit.

So I chucked the switcher into the waste bin.

If I am to buy a new one what do I need to look for to avoid this problem happening again?

As always a pointer to something on Amazon UK would be appreciated - but all help is valuable.

Tony
London UK

Old October 12th 17, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:31:09 -0700 (PDT)
TonyGamble wrote:

[...]

Try cpc:

https://cpc.farnell.com/

They have a selection advertised in their online catalogues.

--
Davey.
Old October 12th 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

They have a selection advertised in their online catalogues.

--
Davey.

Thanks Davey but what is the difference between one that will work and one that failed like my last one? What do I look for in the spec?

Tony

Old October 12th 17, 12:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 11:31:11 UTC+1, TonyGamble wrote:
I've had some helpful advice regarding Firesticks and the alternatives. Thank you.

I now need an HDMI switcher so I can alternate between one of the new Firesticks (being launched 25 Oct) and my Humax Freesat PVR.

I did have an HDMI switcher for the Humax and my Sony DVD player but abandoned it. The problem was that when I switched on my plasma it seemed to need what I'd best describe as a kick from the HDMI feed to know it was there.. Most of the time I'm watching the Humax. When the Humax is fed direct to the plasma without the switcher the plasma recognizes it is there. With the switcher in the chain it seems not to.

My understanding at the time was that the plasma sends a signal back to the HDMI source - but it was not getting through when the switcher was in the circuit.

So I chucked the switcher into the waste bin.

You probably just need to power cycle the TV.

Old October 12th 17, 01:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

So I chucked the switcher into the waste bin.

You probably just need to power cycle the TV.

Is that not what I do when I turn it from off to on?

I think you have misread my message. When the switcher is between the plasma and the Humax the plasma does not see the Humax when I turn (the plasma) on.

Tony
Old October 12th 17, 02:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Does it help if I think the problem is Handshake error?

A bit of reading in the AV forums say they cure it by turning the HDMI source off and on. Surely there is a better method?

Tony
Old October 12th 17, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/10/2017 11:31, TonyGamble wrote:
[...]

Google automatic HDMI switch

Old October 12th 17, 02:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 2:10:15 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Bill

Done it, Bill. Masses there to choose from.

How do I work out which will solve what I understand is called a Handshake problem? What words am I looking for?

Tony
Old October 12th 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/10/2017 14:32, TonyGamble wrote:

Google automatic HDMI switch

Bill

Done it, Bill. Masses there to choose from.

How do I work out which will solve what I understand is called a Handshake problem? What words am I looking for?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to send stuff
back.

Old October 12th 17, 08:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I have tried a couple of HDMI switchers and am yet to find one that will
automatically switch all my devices - will work with some and not
others.

I read it is because some devices do not completely power off, like the
firestick for example, so when the next device is turn on the switcher
still sees the firestick. Don't know if that is the case, but it sounds
plausible.

Anyway, under a tenner from Amazon.