A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

HDMI switcher needed



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old October 12th 17, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default HDMI switcher needed

?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to send stuff
back.

Bill


Thanks Bill.

I'll read the specs. What am I looking for.

Send stuff. Any particular stuff in mind?

Tony


  #12  
Old October 12th 17, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,909
Default HDMI switcher needed

On 12/10/2017 20:26, TonyGamble wrote:
?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to send stuff
back.

Bill


Thanks Bill.

I'll read the specs. What am I looking for.


Some sort of cast iron guarantee that the thing will do what you want to.

Send stuff. Any particular stuff in mind?

Tony


If people send me faulty goods I usually send the same goods back with a
covering letter, although sometimes I add a few anthrax spores or maybe
a VHS of Jeremy Kyle.

Bill

  #13  
Old October 13th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeeGee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 155
Default HDMI switcher needed

On 12/10/17 20:04, Yellow wrote:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:31:09 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

I've had some helpful advice regarding Firesticks and the alternatives. Thank you.

I now need an HDMI switcher so I can alternate between one of the new Firesticks (being launched 25 Oct) and my Humax Freesat PVR.

I did have an HDMI switcher for the Humax and my Sony DVD player but abandoned it. The problem was that when I switched on my plasma it seemed to need what I'd best describe as a kick from the HDMI feed to know it was there. Most of the time I'm watching the Humax. When the Humax is fed direct to the plasma without the switcher the plasma recognizes it is there. With the switcher in the chain it seems not to.

My understanding at the time was that the plasma sends a signal back to the HDMI source - but it was not getting through when the switcher was in the circuit.

So I chucked the switcher into the waste bin.

If I am to buy a new one what do I need to look for to avoid this problem happening again?

As always a pointer to something on Amazon UK would be appreciated - but all help is valuable.

Tony
London UK


I have tried a couple of HDMI switchers and am yet to find one that will
automatically switch all my devices - will work with some and not
others.

I read it is because some devices do not completely power off, like the
firestick for example, so when the next device is turn on the switcher
still sees the firestick. Don't know if that is the case, but it sounds
plausible.

Anyway, under a tenner from Amazon.



It is the change of the HDMI power state from the attached device that
controls the switcher, so devices that do not turn that power output off
when in standby will not operate the switch, which is why the switches
have a remote. The only reverse direction problem I have seen is a
"content protection" message if the TV is in standby when some devices
connect.

Some devices are actually worse: my Humax Youview box is set for "smart
mode" and automatically changes between standby and sleep overnight -
outside normal viewing hours. Both states have the HDMI power on but the
power drops momentarily during the change and changes the switch input
selection (often to the accompaniment of expletives when still watching
something else).

--
PeeGee

"Nothing should be able to load itself onto a computer without the
knowledge or consent of the computer user. Software should also be able
to be removed from a computer easily."
Peter Cullen, Microsoft Chief Privacy Strategist (Computing 18 Aug 05)
  #14  
Old October 13th 17, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,182
Default HDMI switcher needed

In article ,
TonyGamble wrote:
?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to send
stuff back.

Bill


Thanks Bill.


I'll read the specs. What am I looking for.


In general the specs you see won't deal with such matters, so I'm afraid it
is a case of suck-and-see. Some time ago I bought three different HDMI
input switches. You may find that the cheapest ones - which draw their
power from the output device (i.e. the screen) work because they come on
and off with the screen. But the only way to know is to give them a try.

Alternatively, find a John Lewis shop and discuss it with them. Explain the
situation and your requirement. They may agree they'll accept back a switch
you buy that doesn't do what you require, so you can experiment.

BTW you may even find a change of *lead* will affect behaviour. Some aren't
fully populated or use different standards. Usually that doesn't matter,
but sometimes is does. The HDMI specs are rubbish. Whoever devised them
should have been shot by the IEEE.

Jim




Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #15  
Old October 13th 17, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,131
Default HDMI switcher needed

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:04:54 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

I have tried a couple of HDMI switchers and am yet to find one that will
automatically switch all my devices - will work with some and not
others.

I read it is because some devices do not completely power off, like the
firestick for example, so when the next device is turn on the switcher
still sees the firestick. Don't know if that is the case, but it sounds
plausible.


If external HDMI switchers are like the TV sets I've seen, they're
edge triggered rather than status triggered. What I mean by that is
that it is the *transition* from off to on, or sleep to on that
triggers the switcher to take its output. I think they must all be
like this, because there would be a problem if it was the off/on
status of a device that determined its selection, in that if several
input devices were all on simultaneously there would be a conflict;
you couldn't say which one would be selected unless there was some
other rule as well, like maybe a priority rule, e.g. the lowest
numbered input with a powered device will be selected. This is what I
would want to experiment with, but I don't think a priority rule is
likely with HDMI.

If several devices are all powered on, and you want to watch a
different one from the one selected, this should be possible by
switching it off or putting it into sleep mode, and then powering it
up again. You can put the Firestick into sleep mode manually by
pressing and holding the home button for a few seconds, whereupon you
are presented with a menu that includes sleep mode, so once you know
the necessary button sequence you can do it without even being able to
see the output. Your next press of any button will bring it back to
life, and if I'm right about your HDMI selector it will be the same as
a TV set with autoselect enabled and the transition from sleep to on
will cause the Firestick to be displayed.

As long as all your devices have buttons for power or sleep mode on
their remote controls you should be able to do this with any device
without leaving your armchair, and without resorting to the input
selector controls on the TV set or switcher itself. The transition
from off to on should be sufficient cause any device to be selected,
regardless of the status of any other devices. Have fun.

Rod.
  #16  
Old October 13th 17, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default HDMI switcher needed

Thanks for those two replies.

I think that 'automatic' and 'remote control' are two elements I need to remove from the equation. They seem to be creating more problems than they solve.

My personal problem is due to the fact that my wife expects that when she powers up the plasma it will pick up the tv from the Humax.

The old 'automatic' switcher did not work because the plasma did not see the Humax HDMI unless one rebooted the Humax - whereas it does see the Humax when the wiring is not through that switcher.

As I have suggested earlier I presume it is because the handshake where the plasma was looking for an HDMI source was not being transmitted from the plasma to the Humax (with switcher in line).

Back in the grand old days of scart I had a simple switcher box with a solid knob on the front that I turned to select Source One, Source Two, Source Three. I wish I could find an HDMI switcher as basic as that. No auto detecting to confuse things.

What I do at the present is, when I want to use my Sony DVD player, I unplug the Humax from the HDMI lead in the AV cabinet and plug in the Sony. No switcher - just manpower. When I put my Amazon Fire TV in the cabinet I can do the same - unplug H and plug in A. Easy - and foolproof.

What I was investigating was whether there was a switcher that could take all three feeds and let me pick the one I needed at the time - but it must then stay connected and still be there when my wife turns on the tele to watch the lunchtime news.

You mention your Humax went into hibernation mode and this confused your switcher. I am not surprised and I have stopped my Humax powering itself down - as yet again more often than not it was not there when my wife turned the tele on. Yes, she could have powered up the Humax but (bless her soul) she does get easily confused....

Conclusion....I guess what I want is so basic that it does not now exist.

Tony





  #17  
Old October 13th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 147
Default HDMI switcher needed

Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article ,
TonyGamble wrote:
?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to send
stuff back.

Bill


Thanks Bill.


I'll read the specs. What am I looking for.


In general the specs you see won't deal with such matters, so I'm afraid it
is a case of suck-and-see. Some time ago I bought three different HDMI
input switches. You may find that the cheapest ones - which draw their
power from the output device (i.e. the screen) work because they come on
and off with the screen. But the only way to know is to give them a try.

Alternatively, find a John Lewis shop and discuss it with them. Explain the
situation and your requirement. They may agree they'll accept back a switch
you buy that doesn't do what you require, so you can experiment.

BTW you may even find a change of *lead* will affect behaviour. Some aren't
fully populated or use different standards. Usually that doesn't matter,
but sometimes is does. The HDMI specs are rubbish. Whoever devised them
should have been shot by the IEEE.

The whole idea of HDMI is bound to cause the user problems because the
fundamental reason for HDMI's existence is to protect the copyright
of the entertainment business.

--
Chris Green
·
  #18  
Old October 13th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,234
Default HDMI switcher needed

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 04:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
TonyGamble wrote:


They have a selection advertised in their online catalogues.

--
Davey.


Thanks Davey but what is the difference between one that will work
and one that failed like my last one? What do I look for in the spec?

Tony



Sorry, no idea. I was just pointing you to a source.

--
Davey.
  #19  
Old October 13th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,182
Default HDMI switcher needed

In article , Chris Green
wrote:
The whole idea of HDMI is bound to cause the user problems because the
fundamental reason for HDMI's existence is to protect the copyright of
the entertainment business.


As an injuneer the biggest shock for me about HDMI was when I read the
electrical specs for HDMI. For example, is isn't using a 'matched'
transmission line system. Indeed, it is mismatched by design choice! Nor is
the system either balanced or unbalanced. Then add in different specs for
how the various bundled cables are to be used.

It is almost designed to be problematic in practice. Any comms engineer
would regard it as madness.

Then layer on top the commercial obsessions as you say...

It is used because the makers are determined that we shall have no choice
in the matter.

Jim

--
Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa...o/electron.htm
Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html
Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

  #20  
Old October 13th 17, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 410
Default HDMI switcher needed

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on October 20, 2017.

On 09:56 13 Oct 2017, Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article
,
TonyGamble wrote:
?

I suppose you will have to read the specs and be prepared to
send stuff back.

Bill


Thanks Bill.


I'll read the specs. What am I looking for.


In general the specs you see won't deal with such matters, so
I'm afraid it is a case of suck-and-see. Some time ago I bought
three different HDMI input switches. You may find that the
cheapest ones - which draw their power from the output device
(i.e. the screen) work because they come on and off with the
screen. But the only way to know is to give them a try.

Alternatively, find a John Lewis shop and discuss it with them.
Explain the situation and your requirement. They may agree
they'll accept back a switch you buy that doesn't do what you
require, so you can experiment.

BTW you may even find a change of *lead* will affect behaviour.
Some aren't fully populated or use different standards. Usually
that doesn't matter, but sometimes is does.


Just when I thought I had seen the back of sparsely populated
SCART leads and all the incompatibilities they cause, now it looks
like HDMI leads are prone to giving similar problems.

It hardly seems worth spending much on high spec cables because in
a few years the spec becomes incompatible.

The HDMI specs are
rubbish. Whoever devised them should have been shot by the IEEE.

Jim


You never had these speification problems in the old days with a
long aerial wire going into the back of your radio.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.