Offcom and audio Description

Old October 10th 17, 07:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Offcom and audio Description

Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others
seem to do most obvious things?
I am always being told by rnib how good the AD is now with 'many channels
doing more than 20 percent of their output.
However Sony and CBS and some other channels never do any at all. After all
Sony Movie channel often put out movies which I know had AD in the cinema,
so what is stopping them putting this out on the channel?

Old October 10th 17, 07:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others
seem to do most obvious things?

Presumably the obligations to supply audio description, subtitles,
signing etc are different for public service broadcasters versus other
broadcasters?

Old October 10th 17, 07:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others
seem to do most obvious things?

presumably for the same reason(s) that they don't do subtitles

tim

Old October 10th 17, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 10/10/17 08:26, tim... wrote:
presumably for the same reason(s) that they don't do subtitles

Which is probably because they don't have enough staff to do much more
than load the standard media into the machinery.

You will also notice that they often play the wrong link announcement,
typically a programme before or after the actual one, or the earlier or
later episode of the right programme.
Old October 10th 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tuesday, 10 October 2017 08:11:37 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others
seem to do most obvious things?

The amount of subtitling or audio description required is set by Ofcom and depends on the channel's market share.

Sony Movie channel often put out movies which I know had AD in the cinema,
so what is stopping them putting this out on the channel?

They don't have a clue or they don't care a damn.

Owain

Old October 10th 17, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, but its got little to do with cost if the stuff already exists and as
far as I'm aware there is legislation in this country that they have to do
10 percent.
I think one of the ways they get around this is to reinvent their channel
every year or so, and they only need to comply with this stuff if they are
on for a certain period. I'm expecting London Live to have a name change any
time soon if that is the case.

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news

Old October 10th 17, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, I think somebody ought to try to amend their attitude.

I suspect the real reason is market share clauses added in at the last
minute to dilute the law.
How can they say about market share, it depends on the market you are
talking about. On most main stations these channels exist only the smaller
ones it does not, and what about freesat?