CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum

Old October 9th 17, 04:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum

I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Old October 9th 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Bill

Possibly because:
i) It wasn't terrorism
ii) It was an accident and the Police are not lo1oking for the driver
iii) All parties involved have been identified

Old October 9th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Is this the horrible shared space area? I don't know why planners are trying
so hard to keep this stupid design philosophy when its quite plain that
certain groups of people, blind elderly disabled and those frightened of
traffic simply no longer use the places.
Its crazy.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Old October 9th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Not to me. I don't recall release of official (eg police, council or
TfL) still images or video of such incidents unless the police are
seeking information - eg the identity of suspects or previous movements
of vehicles. There's the risk of prejudicing a trail. It'd also be
insensitive to show victims being injured.

--
Robin
Old October 9th 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 09/10/17 10:54, Robin wrote:
On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Not to me. I don't recall release of official (eg police, council or
TfL) still images or video of such incidents unless the police are
seeking information - eg the identity of suspects or previous movements
of vehicles. There's the risk of prejudicing a trail. It'd also be
insensitive to show victims being injured.

Also, it would be a breach of the Data Protection Act for any video
showing recognizable people to be released directly by private
organisations, to anyone but the police, the courts, or someone included
in the coverage (and in the latter case, it might be necessary to redact
coverage of other people).

Old October 9th 17, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MR

On Monday, 9 October 2017 04:00:14 UTC+1, wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Bill

No doubt the sickos with their phone cameras were hanging around the injured until the police shooed them away.

MR
Old October 9th 17, 01:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2017 08:02, alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Bill

Possibly because:
i) It wasn't terrorism
ii) It was an accident and the Police are not lo1oking for the driver
iii) All parties involved have been identified

But it was news, and anyone with CCTV could make a bit by selling to a
broadcaster or a newspaper website.

Old October 9th 17, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 09/10/2017 08:02, alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Bill

Possibly because:
i) It wasn't terrorism
ii) It was an accident and the Police are not lo1oking for the driver
iii) All parties involved have been identified

But it was news, and anyone with CCTV could make a bit by selling to a
broadcaster or a newspaper website.

The fact that this hasn't happened makes me suspicious that the police have
instructed newspapers not to publish footage. Of course, once it was
announced that it was not a terrorist incident, the incident became less
newsworthy, but until then I'd have thought the people with footage which
showed what happened might have released it to the papers.

What is the current situation as regarded suspected terrorist attacks: do
the police immediately issue a D Notice (or whatever the modern equivalent
is) banning publication until there has been further analysis, after which
it is not "news" if it is only an accident and not a terrorist incident.

And what about private publication on Youtube etc? Do the police issue
immediate "takedown" instructions to Youtube? Now that it's not terrorist,
maybe some footage will come to light.

Was he an idiot who couldn't read the road and turned too soon onto a
pavement, or did he have some sort of medical incident that led to the car
going out of control? I wonder if it was the dreaded problem with automatic
cars of the driver hitting the accelerator instead of the brake and then not
being able to stop quickly enough (the "elderly person driving into a shop
window" type of accident - though I believe this guy was not elderly).

Very impressive that armed police were on hand to react so quickly. I
imagine that the Kensington museums are seen as a likely target so there may
be police on standby close by.

Old October 9th 17, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:

anyone with CCTV could make a bit by selling to a
broadcaster or a newspaper website.

Only if that was one of the specified purposes of the CCTV in accordance
with the DPA
Old October 9th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

anyone with CCTV could make a bit by selling to a
broadcaster or a newspaper website.

Only if that was one of the specified purposes of the CCTV in accordance
with the DPA

Is fixed CCTV subject to different rules to someone in the street filming
with their phone, or is man-in-the-street footage really subject to DPA
restrictions but no-one normally bothers? Is Google Streetview's blurring of
faces and number plates actually a legal requirement or is it a courtesy to
appease people concerned about privacy and maybe a worst-case rule in case
other countries have more stringent rules.

Is it no longer the case that you can film anything that happens in a public
place (the street) but not on private land such as a garden, and that people
do not have any right to privacy in public. I always thought that warnings
about CCTV were there to make it legal to use the footage in court, not to
make it legal to publish it in general. Or are our laws becoming as
draconian as USSR's and various dictatorships'? Obviously "public place"
excludes specific MOD sites. I know some countries do not allow dashcams to
be used, so you have no way of presenting footage to insurance companies in
the event of an accident and you have to rely entirely on third-party
witnesses - if any - rather than photographic evidence.