Flight

Old October 9th 17, 04:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_2_]

Default Flight

Bill Wright wrote:
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now.
The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder
painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white
gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black
spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely
obscured, black with red spots. They struggle, lifting their feet one at
a time. Some of them unfurl their wings in a brief, doomed attempt to
escape. A few somehow roll onto their backs, where they lay, frantically
waggling their legs. Immediately overhead a Belfast to Amsterdam flight
leaves a contrail. The fluffy bright red line goes all the way across
the sky, from horizon to horizon. My ankles are hurting. It's time for a
G & T and a ham sandwich, I think.

Bill

Sounds like a Jethro Tull song, circa Heavy Horses.
Old October 9th 17, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

On 09/10/2017 17:24, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:33:15 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.

and his wife's parents.

She should have been called Lady Bug really, but I suppose that doesn't
sound so nice.

--
Max Demian
Old October 9th 17, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
James Heaton

o.uk...
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 03:05:58 +0100, Bill Wright
coalesced the vapors of human experience into
a viable and meaningful comprehension...

On 08/10/2017 22:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 20:10:50 +0100, newshound wrote:

Some friends of mine reported a near plague of ladybirds in some
local
woodland (Woodchester Park, Glos) this afternoon.

Some dude on the radio the other day said there were actually over 20
different species of ladybird now living in the UK.

I blame Blair and Brown

Bill

I blame Lyndon B. Johnson.

and his wife's parents.

She should have been called Lady Bug really, but I suppose that doesn't
sound so nice.

I thought it was one of their staff - 'oh she's a pretty as a lady bird'?

Pretty sure it wasn't the name of her birth certificate?

James

Old October 9th 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/10/2017 12:25, newshound wrote:

I remember a short period a few decades ago (certainly before B&B) when
there were widespread heavy swarms. You could literally shovel them up
from the ground in places, and they were biting people.

That was 1976. My local park was virtually unusable - nowhere to sit
and precious few places to walk without crushing numerous ladybirds.

Old October 9th 17, 11:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 22:10:30 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

news:[email protected] .co.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Correct, but an improvement on Celia Alta :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bird_Johnson

Claudia Alta, actually.

Old October 10th 17, 07:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 23:14:08 +0100, Indy Jess John wrote:

On 09/10/2017 12:25, newshound wrote:

I remember a short period a few decades ago (certainly before B&B) when
there were widespread heavy swarms. You could literally shovel them up
from the ground in places, and they were biting people.

That was 1976. My local park was virtually unusable - nowhere to sit
and precious few places to walk without crushing numerous ladybirds.

Jim

Apparently they weren't actually biting but were after water. The attempt to
get water from skin felt like a bite.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away