Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/)
-   -   A better YouTube receiver (http://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/uk-tech-digital-tv-digital/36339-better-youtube-receiver.html)

TonyGamble October 7th 17 03:17 PM

A better YouTube receiver

We are now spending more time watching YouTube than BBC or ITV.

I can feed it to my Panasonic plasma with either my Humax HDR 1105 or my Amazon Firestick. The former is hard wired to by broadband and the Firestick relies on the WiFi from my router.

First problem is that neither support HDCP 2.0 and that is what I need to rent an HDTV from YouTube.

Second is that both suffer from delays when all I see is 'Loading' on the screen. It is odd that some programmes (such as a half hour Parkinson we watched last night) run with no Loading hold ups - and some (meybe the older ones) struggle.

I'd willingly pay for a decent receiver or dongle that was more reliable. Can anyone suggest anything available in the UK?

Many thanks.

Tony
London UK

Vir Campestris October 7th 17 05:37 PM

A better YouTube receiver

On 07/10/2017 15:17, TonyGamble wrote:
I'd willingly pay for a decent receiver or dongle that was more reliable. Can anyone suggest anything available in the UK?

Try Roku.

Andy

Woody[_5_] October 7th 17 06:12 PM

A better YouTube receiver

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 07/10/2017 15:17, TonyGamble wrote:
I'd willingly pay for a decent receiver or dongle that was more
reliable. Can anyone suggest anything available in the UK?

Try Roku.

Don't worry about Roku and the fact that you seem to have to pay. If
you get a Roku 1 (USB stick) you can call Roku who will give you a
slightly different web site address to use to register your unit
without having to give credit card details, i.e you can only use the
stick for items freely available such as iPlayer and ITV Hub etc.

They work very well provided you have a reasonably quick B/B speed,
say 6Mb or higher.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

TonyGamble October 8th 17 06:55 AM

A better YouTube receiver

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 6:11:48 PM UTC+1, Woody wrote:

Don't worry about Roku and the fact that you seem to have to pay. If
you get a Roku 1 (USB stick) you can call Roku who will give you a
slightly different web site address to use to register your unit
without having to give credit card details, i.e you can only use the
stick for items freely available such as iPlayer and ITV Hub etc.

They work very well provided you have a reasonably quick B/B speed,
say 6Mb or higher.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Thanks Woody,

My BB wifi is from BT fibre and is well into the thirties.

Can you confirm the Roku stick would receive YouTube? I can't see it mentioned in the blurbs.

I think my quest for HDCP 2 may be blocked by the fact that my Panasonic plasma is around five years old. From what I read about HDCP 2 every link in the chain must support it so, even if the stick does, the chances of my quite old plasma doing so is thin.

What I also read is that there is very little HDCP 2 content around to rent - so why bother? I just happened to watch Victor Victoria. Neither NetFlix nor Amazon could stream it and YouTube could. But it might be the only film they have with HDCP 2.

In fact our Amazon Firestick worked with no Loading problems last night.

Does anyone know why these problems seem to occur more with old uploads or am I imaging it?

Tony - London SW6.

TonyGamble October 9th 17 01:59 PM

A better YouTube receiver

In fact our Amazon Firestick worked with no Loading problems last night.

Does anyone know why these problems seem to occur more with old uploads or am I imaging it?

That was posted two days ago.

Last night (Sunday) the number of delays (Loading) was beyond a joke. I have done lots of readying. The spec of the Firestick is far better than that of the Roku. But people write about the YouTube apps for these gadgets being substandard.

If the Chromecast is a Google device - as is YouTube I think - will it probably better. I have abandoned my search for HDCP 2 compliant devices. What would make me happy is one that worked all the time with YouTube. Does YouTube itself get overloaded?

I realise that this is not really a uk.tech.digital subject. Can anyone suggest a more appropriate forum?

Tony

Woody[_5_] October 9th 17 04:59 PM

A better YouTube receiver

"TonyGamble" wrote in message
In fact our Amazon Firestick worked with no Loading problems last
night.

Does anyone know why these problems seem to occur more with old
uploads or am I imaging it?

That was posted two days ago.

Last night (Sunday) the number of delays (Loading) was beyond a
joke. I have done lots of readying. The spec of the Firestick is far
better than that of the Roku. But people write about the YouTube
apps for these gadgets being substandard.

If the Chromecast is a Google device - as is YouTube I think - will
it probably better. I have abandoned my search for HDCP 2 compliant
devices. What would make me happy is one that worked all the time
with YouTube. Does YouTube itself get overloaded?

I realise that this is not really a uk.tech.digital subject. Can
anyone suggest a more appropriate forum?

No worries, variation is the spice of life in this group and you will
always be welcome.

Has anyone flamed you yet? See what I mean..................

Yellow[_3_] October 9th 17 05:37 PM

A better YouTube receiver

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 05:59:38 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

In fact our Amazon Firestick worked with no Loading problems last night.

Does anyone know why these problems seem to occur more with old uploads or am I imaging it?

For what it is worth, I have 2 firesticks and 'just' an ADSL2 connection
and do not have buffering issues - so that would suggest it is not an
issue inherent in the product.

They both work seamlessly unless there is an issue with my broadband.

Have you tried putting your back to factory settings and starting again?

TonyGamble October 9th 17 07:21 PM

A better YouTube receiver

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 5:37:21 PM UTC+1, Yellow wrote:

Have you tried putting your back to factory settings and starting again?

Thanks Yellow. In fact I did this afternoon and I have just tried looking at a video that really struggled last night. It is old. Joan Sims 1930-2001 uploaded 3 yrs ago by George Pollin. This time it picked up where we left off and seemed to run cleanly.

One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv. Reading suggested powering down was a help so I have now tried disconnecting it when not being used.

I wonder if these Stats for Nerds on the YouTube app are of any use. Presumably the stick needs to build a good buffer of forward video frames so it can muddle through when the Broadband is slow.

I'll keep fiddling. My generation (I'm 78) can get bored with the normal BBC/ITV offer so YouTube is a saviour - when it works.

Tony

Yellow[_3_] October 10th 17 01:55 AM

A better YouTube receiver

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:21:19 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 5:37:21 PM UTC+1, Yellow wrote:

Have you tried putting your back to factory settings and starting again?

Thanks Yellow. In fact I did this afternoon and I have just tried looking at a video that really struggled last night. It is old. Joan Sims 1930-2001 uploaded 3 yrs ago by George Pollin. This time it picked up where we left off and seemed to run cleanly.

If you want to post a link I could try it on mine.

One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv. Reading suggested powering down was a help so I have now tried disconnecting it when not being used.

I have mine plugged in to the mains via the power supply that was
supplied with the firestick. Worth trying because you never know, it
might make a difference.

I use a doodah in my back room to convert wifi to a wired connection for
a bit of kit that only has an Ethernet socket and it definitely
struggles when powered from the kit's USB port as against plugged into
the wall via a USB power supply.

I wonder if these Stats for Nerds on the YouTube app are of any use. Presumably the stick needs to build a good buffer of forward video frames so it can muddle through when the Broadband is slow.

I have not come across that.

I'll keep fiddling. My generation (I'm 78) can get bored with the normal BBC/ITV offer so YouTube is a saviour - when it works.

I use youTube a lot on my firestick so for what it is worth, it can work
fine.

Out of interest, do you have the same issues using Iplayer or the other
TV players on your stick? Is it just youTube that fights back?

TonyGamble October 10th 17 07:04 AM

A better YouTube receiver

If you want to post a link I could try it on mine.

I would but it seems to be working now.

I have mine plugged in to the mains via the power supply that was
supplied with the firestick. Worth trying because you never know, it
might make a difference.

I was powering mine from a separate battery pack so I doubt if that is the problem.

I use youTube a lot on my firestick so for what it is worth, it can work
fine.

Out of interest, do you have the same issues using Iplayer or the other
TV players on your stick? Is it just youTube that fights back?

No I don't get the problem on BBC iPlayer.

I wonder if YouTube does vary in quality depending on the time of day. Why, for example, do some clips load instantly and some take up to twenty seconds to load?

Is it possible that YT at 21.30 BST is much more in use than it was five minutes ago 6.55 BST when it seemed faultless?

Might it be that after an hour of watching in the evening something is failing in the buffering?

Should I really expect a seemless service or is what I am getting (the occasional Loading problem) as good as one gets?

Amazon have emailed me overnight with the usual clear cache and data suggestions. I can phone them today but if the system were to work without a hitch whilst I am talking to them it is hard to diagnose the problem.

Tony