A better YouTube receiver

Old October 14th 17, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default A better YouTube receiver

I was about to give up on my version of the Firestick and Amazon came up with this suggestion.

"* Force stop and clear the data and cache for the Appstore
* Restart the device and sync with the network
* On Fire TV Stick, go to Settings Display Video Resolution and choose one of the supported video resolutions. Do not choose Auto. If you currently have one selected, change it to something else.
* You may need to trial-and-error with the supported video resolutions available for your connected TV. You should not change settings directly on your TV.
* Check whether the video display looks fine. If not, go back to Step 1.
* Check whether the issue persists.
* Confirm that waking the Fire TV up from sleep mode does not cause the issue."

I have not yet had time to give this an extended test - but so far it has worked.

Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

I'll report later as I try it more thoroughly.

Tony

Old October 14th 17, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 08:29:50 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

[...]

The only thought I have it that the higher the resolution the more
processing power, and energy, it needs to process the content.

My old laptop cannot stream HD content and show it on my telly via HDMI
for example, unless I turned its screen off - which is why I bought my
firestick now I come to think about it.

Old October 14th 17, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy
Old October 16th 17, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:10:27 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy

We watched YouTube for two hours last night without a single 'Loading' problem. Altering the resolution from Auto seems to have cured the problem.

Now to order one of those internet adaptors that are due for delivery a week on Wednesday. It must be better to use hard wired internet rather than WiFi.

Yes/no?

Tony

Tony
Old October 16th 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:10:27 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy

We watched YouTube for two hours last night without a single 'Loading' problem. Altering the resolution from Auto seems to have cured the problem.

Now to order one of those internet adaptors that are due for delivery a week on Wednesday. It must be better to use hard wired internet rather than WiFi.

Yes/no?

Tony

Tony

Personally I find wifi is 100% perfect but I guess it depends on your
house and your kit.
Old November 3rd 17, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Just an update to say that my Firestick TV ethernet connector arrived today.

It was dead simple to install and seems to work fine. How much more stable it will prove than my wifi connection only time will tell.

Tony