A better YouTube receiver

Old October 11th 17, 05:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default A better YouTube receiver

In article ,
On 2017-10-11, Tweed wrote:

My own experience with home plugs is that there can be drop outs lasting
seconds, presumably caused by interference on the mains wiring by other
loads.

IME, "ethernet over mains" (aka "home plugs") stuff is all utter cack.

True, but it seems to work most of the time here.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old October 11th 17, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Huge

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on October 18, 2017.

In article ,
On 2017-10-11, Tweed wrote:

My own experience with home plugs is that there can be drop outs lasting
seconds, presumably caused by interference on the mains wiring by other
loads.

IME, "ethernet over mains" (aka "home plugs") stuff is all utter cack.

True, but it seems to work most of the time here.

"Most of the time" is not satisfactory, I'm afraid.

--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 65th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
Old October 11th 17, 07:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on October 18, 2017.

On 06:50 11 Oct 2017, TonyGamble wrote:

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:04:03 PM UTC+1, TonyGamble
wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, Vir
Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on
the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a
reasonable amount of power - more than some sockets will
supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

Well suggested Andy.

I have moved the power to a 20.000mah pack and it seems to have
made the system much more responsive. I have flicked from clip
to clip for ten minutes and each comes up instantly. That never
happened before.

Tony

This morning I used an Android tablet to check the juice coming
out of the tele usb and the power pack. The former is weaker -
as expected.

Twenty minutes of YouTube clip swopping seems to show the
Firestick far more receptive. It did loose my broadband once and
that I can't explain of course. But generally the clips come up
faster (often instantly) and I can see a valid buffer when I
press Pause.

Tony

The Firestick is rated at 900 mA but the USB socket on an older
telly is only 500 mA.

You can get a Y-connector to join together the power from two USB
sockets on your telly but I'm not sure how successful it is.
Looks nicer to me than a trailing power lead to a mains adapter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OC4KX4

Old October 14th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

I was about to give up on my version of the Firestick and Amazon came up with this suggestion.

"* Force stop and clear the data and cache for the Appstore
* Restart the device and sync with the network
* On Fire TV Stick, go to Settings Display Video Resolution and choose one of the supported video resolutions. Do not choose Auto. If you currently have one selected, change it to something else.
* You may need to trial-and-error with the supported video resolutions available for your connected TV. You should not change settings directly on your TV.
* Check whether the video display looks fine. If not, go back to Step 1.
* Check whether the issue persists.
* Confirm that waking the Fire TV up from sleep mode does not cause the issue."

I have not yet had time to give this an extended test - but so far it has worked.

Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

I'll report later as I try it more thoroughly.

Tony

Old October 14th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 08:29:50 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

[...]

The only thought I have it that the higher the resolution the more
processing power, and energy, it needs to process the content.

My old laptop cannot stream HD content and show it on my telly via HDMI
for example, unless I turned its screen off - which is why I bought my
firestick now I come to think about it.

Old October 14th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy
Old October 16th 17, 06:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:10:27 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy

We watched YouTube for two hours last night without a single 'Loading' problem. Altering the resolution from Auto seems to have cured the problem.

Now to order one of those internet adaptors that are due for delivery a week on Wednesday. It must be better to use hard wired internet rather than WiFi.

Yes/no?

Tony

Tony
Old October 16th 17, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:00:22 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:10:27 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/10/2017 16:29, TonyGamble wrote:
Do any of you technical wizards have a suggestion as to why the video resolution could have been causing my YouTube to hang?

Perhaps the TV is returning odd data, and it isn't sure what resolution
to use - so it keeps switching. There are a lot of crap tellies out there.

Andy

We watched YouTube for two hours last night without a single 'Loading' problem. Altering the resolution from Auto seems to have cured the problem.

Now to order one of those internet adaptors that are due for delivery a week on Wednesday. It must be better to use hard wired internet rather than WiFi.

Yes/no?

Tony

Tony

Personally I find wifi is 100% perfect but I guess it depends on your
house and your kit.