A better YouTube receiver

Old October 11th 17, 06:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default A better YouTube receiver

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:04:03 PM UTC+1, TonyGamble wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 9:57:20 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2017 19:21, TonyGamble wrote:
One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

Well suggested Andy.

I have moved the power to a 20.000mah pack and it seems to have made the system much more responsive. I have flicked from clip to clip for ten minutes and each comes up instantly. That never happened before.

Tony

This morning I used an Android tablet to check the juice coming out of the tele usb and the power pack. The former is weaker - as expected.

Twenty minutes of YouTube clip swopping seems to show the Firestick far more receptive. It did loose my broadband once and that I can't explain of course. But generally the clips come up faster (often instantly) and I can see a valid buffer when I press Pause.

Tony
Old October 11th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:19:24 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

One thing I was doing was leaving it powered from a USB on the back of the tv.

It's quite likely this is the problem. Those things can use a reasonable
amount of power - more than some sockets will supply. Use its own PSU.

Andy

I'll try another power supply but my feeling this evening is that it is losing its network connection. This is a screen that comes up quite often. The wifi in the room is good. I use it for a tablet and it works with no problem.

There is a 'geeks' screen you can bring up and I can see the buffer disappearing.

Current feeling is to bung this one back and get the new device that comes out in fifteen days time.

I've used both the Amazon stick and the box version of the same thing,
and IMHO the box version is worth the extra. Response to controls is
faster, and you can place it some distance from the TV if you wish, to
reduce possible wireless interference, or you can feed it by ethernet.
Also, it can take a micro SD card up to 128GB to store onboard media.

The box will not run from a USB socket, but requires a mains PSU,
which is provided with it.

Old October 11th 17, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

did loose my broadband once and that I can't explain of course.

As I use Devolo Home Plugs to connect various rooms to the router I have moved one so it is much nearer the Firestick.

I have WiFi Analyser on a tablet and it is showing a better signal when near the stick than it did before.

Maybe that will help. We will see. If not then the stick is probably poorly.

Tony

Old October 11th 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

I've used both the Amazon stick and the box version of the same thing,
and IMHO the box version is worth the extra.

Thanks Roderick,

Am I right in thinking they have discontinued the box and only sell reburbished ones?

I take your point about feeding it with internet and having it away from the tv though.

Tony

Old October 11th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 04:50:26 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

I've used both the Amazon stick and the box version of the same thing,
and IMHO the box version is worth the extra.

Thanks Roderick,

Am I right in thinking they have discontinued the box and only sell reburbished ones?

I take your point about feeding it with internet and having it away from the tv though.

A quick glance at the Amazon website suggests you could be right.
There is a new version to be released on October 25th, which would
suggest the old one will eventually become unavailable, so if you want
one, get it while you can.

The new Fire TV box seems to have a captive HDMI lead attached at one
corner, with a micro USB for power at the opposite corner, which looks
very odd, but maybe they're planning this device as a kind of
super-dongle to replace both the stick and the box version of the old
one. If you want to connect via ethernet you can use an adaptor, which
apparently will work with the old Fire TV stick as well, so that's new
since I bought mine.

One thing the new box doesn't seem to have is any provision for local
storage using a memory card, though guess what - it can be used with
Amazon cloud storage, which is free if you have an Amazon account,
which you'd probably have anyway if you want to make full use of their
box. You might find that this is perfectly fine for all you want to
use it for, but one thing I found useful about the SD card is that
it's an easier way to get at the installation files for 3rd party
software such as Kodi, just by copying them from a computer using a
USB card adaptor. It is possible to install such software on either
the Fire stick or the box by downloading it directly from the website,
but typing long URLs using the remote control is a pain, so the
"sneakernet" method is much easier. I think I'll keep the box I've
already got as long as it continues to work.

Old October 11th 17, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Thanks Rod,

What appeals is that the box you talk about can be connected to an ethernet cable and that must be better than wifi. All my other devices that feed the plasma are in a cabinet and hidden. Humax, DVD and Hotbird decoder. There is ethernet in that cabinet so it would be easy to put the Fire box in there as well and I have an HDMI switcher so all my sources can be directed (one at a time) to the plasma.

If I wanted to feed ethernet to a dongle on the back of the plasma that is one more bit of wire - which I would prefer not to have. So I may buy one those refurb boxes whilst they are around.

Tell me - what do you use Kodi for? I read about it when I was grumbling about my buffering but could not work out what it added to the Firestick TV.

And why do you want to use the memory card for?

Tony

Old October 11th 17, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

But, of course, Rod, I could buy one of those sticks being released in two weeks and put that in the cabinet with an ethernet connection.

So the questions about Kodi and memory card then become more relevant when considering whether to buy the refurb box.

Tony

Old October 11th 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

TonyGamble wrote:

did loose my broadband once and that I can't explain of course.

As I use Devolo Home Plugs to connect various rooms to the router I have
moved one so it is much nearer the Firestick.

I have WiFi Analyser on a tablet and it is showing a better signal when
near the stick than it did before.

Maybe that will help. We will see. If not then the stick is probably poorly.

Tony

My own experience with home plugs is that there can be drop outs lasting
seconds, presumably caused by interference on the mains wiring by other
loads. This may explain some of your glitches. I'm afraid I don't really
buy the theory that power from the TV is inadequate. If it were, the
voltage to the device would sag and at some point the device would be below
its working threshold and crash/reboot. It won't slow down or work slightly
less well. Digital stuff works or not. Adding an external power supply
might accidentally add an improved antenna to the device, by dint of the
wire. That would explain improved performance. Wifi reception of a dongle
hidden behind the TV might be poor or variable.

Old October 11th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 07:31:30 -0700 (PDT), TonyGamble
wrote:

But, of course, Rod, I could buy one of those sticks being released in two weeks and put that in the cabinet with an ethernet connection.

So the questions about Kodi and memory card then become more relevant when considering whether to buy the refurb box.

Yes, I guess you could use an HDMI extension from the cabinet to the
TV whichever Amazon device you decide to use. Then the ethernet cable
wouldn't need to go to the TV.

Kodi can apparently be used for just about any media source, video,
stills and sound, perhaps just to show your holiday snaps on the big
screen. It looks daunting to learn how to use all its facilities, but
has the advantage that it's multiplatform, Windows, Linux & Android
amongst others, so whatever I do decide to use, I'll only have to
learn it once. In reality, I've only used it for listening to internet
radio so far, but it's quite handy just for that. Rarmaradio is only
Windows, and though iPlayer is available for Windows it doesn't seem
to have a Linux or Android option, and is utter bloatware which when I
used it required frequent humungous updates, so I gave up with it.

As for the memory card, you can copy favourite movies or your own
photos onto it, or presumably music files or whatever you like, and
view them on the TV using ES File Explorer. It's also possible to move
some installed program apps to the card, freeing up a little space on
the device's basic memory.

The Amazon box has more or less replaced a dedicated PC I built purely
as a media centre, and which I now only occasionally fire up just to
update its software. So far, the space occupied by the PC isn't needed
for anything else, which is probably the only reason I still keep it.
It's really just a standby device now, and if I was starting again I
wouldn't bother to build one. The PC has a second drive (on bungee
mounts) just to store media, so when I got the Amazon box it seemed
natural to include a second drive (the SD card) in that too.

Old October 11th 17, 06:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
On 2017-10-11, Tweed wrote:

My own experience with home plugs is that there can be drop outs lasting
seconds, presumably caused by interference on the mains wiring by other
loads.

IME, "ethernet over mains" (aka "home plugs") stuff is all utter cack.

True, but it seems to work most of the time here.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England